Centenary Race - the Tucker Trophy

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Centenary Race - the Tucker Trophy

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I do of course still have the 1969 4/4 I raced in early 1970s – but not sure it would pass scrutineering – one or two new regs since those days I believe
Come on Leigh, drag it out of the garage, dust it off and give it some tlc, just for old times sake!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

It’s 40 years old next month Mary – I’ve still got my original receipt from Allon White. So if you’d like to bake a birthday cake we could meet up with the car at Feering – or perhaps Santa Pod where John L first spotted me in action.

To race it would need to be repainted chrome orange (very fashionable again today) and I would have to get an open face helmet and regrow my hair and beard into John McDonald style.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

So if you’d like to bake a birthday cake we could meet up with the car at Feering
If we met up at Brands on the grid, then I might bake a cake! :wink:
Santa Pod where John L first spotted me in action
Hmmm, I won't ask what you were doing :shock:
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hello All.

Your response has been fabulous! I think we are going to make this happen! I am chasing MVJ 101 and XOV as additionals, and A Certain Jersey Resident is being pressured to let his two significant cars take part as well. Both I and Jim's widdow are really touched by the level of response.

Now, the bad news. Masters could not get us into the full gp circuit programme, as that would have upped the cost by a factor of 3 per entry! As it is, we get 40 mins, practice/race and an entry fee of £195:00. I am working on putting some extras together, but that is the "bald facts" state of play right now.

I note the Brands/Covent Garden dilema - BUT - obviously 8334 RU needs to be there - as do you, Leigh. So let's see if we can work out some sort of usefull compromise vis a vis letting cars be driven by caring, carefull drivers. It would be great to have Charles out as well, Bill W also. I only have access to a Deep sanderson, which although of intetrest to Jim, I tried to buy it for him 10 years ago, is not Morgan - so I'll either rely upon the generosity of others - hint hint - :lol: or may tackle things in 700 GNV, Dad's 1956 +4 that Jim rebuilt - the LAST "Tuxon Tune" car - in 1996-2000. It's currently going "Super Sports" but ought to be ready by May.

Any additional questions for me, please ask them via here - my AOL account has been doing strange things lately. So, big SORRY to all whose emails direct to me have either gone unanswered or bounced back. Let's keep the messages on here?

John Clarke has asked, and I am happy to so agree, that we let Moss Box +8's up to 1972 in. Jim raced, "in the day", from 1959 to 1972, so there's no trauma there.

All the best everyone, and I'll be asking Jim to make a deal "up stairs" for good weather that weekend.
Guy Loveridge
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Great news ..Just send the entry .(whilst I still have money)

jack
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Guy, I hope my email reached you, if not I would like to register my interest here too for my 1968 Plus 8.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great news Guy - even if we are not on the GP circuit.

Like Mary I hope you received my email too confirming that I would be interested with both cars.

Look forward to hearing more about the meeting as you get further information.

Cheers

Mark
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hello all.
sorry for the delay in a post. I had a meeting with the Masters Brass at Goodwood on Saturday last. We are 100% ON! I need to put together a minimum grid of 20 cars, but we can go up to 30 + 4 reserves, if folk so choose!

The regulations are not very extensive:-

4 wheeled Morgans up to 1970. Thus 4/4, +4 and +8. We would love to see SLR an d+4+ if anyone is so minded.
Tyres - Dunlop or Avon - not sticky Yokos or the like....
Cars to be "period" - not Modsport style - as Jim did not like that. Also, sorry some folk, the engine needs to be period to th ecar - ie - no 4/4s with Zetec engines.
I will allow +8s with 4 speed boxes, however, as, to my mind 1972 cars are substantially th esame anyhow. No 4.6 litre engines, however!

I will post again soon with updates. The Trophy is one from jim;s first race meeting, Snetterton 1959, and will have a "band" to the base for the new inscription. I would like to to become an annual award. I am sorting some other goodies, still. Chris Lawrence has agreed to come and be with us on the day.

The total cost is £250:00 per entry. The rise is because I have managed to get more track time, and all Morgan owners can have the benefir of full Master's Hospitality - ie your are catered on the day.

More as and when, but we shall be in touch!

Best and thank you for showing such enthusiasm to commemorate not just th eCentenary, but also Jim Tucker.

Guy Loveridge
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hello all.
sorry for the delay in a post. I had a meeting with the Masters Brass at Goodwood on Saturday last. We are 100% ON! I need to put together a minimum grid of 20 cars, but we can go up to 30 + 4 reserves, if folk so choose!

The regulations are not very extensive:-

4 wheeled Morgans up to 1970. Thus 4/4, +4 and +8. We would love to see SLR an d+4+ if anyone is so minded.
Tyres - Dunlop or Avon - not sticky Yokos or the like....
Cars to be "period" - not Modsport style - as Jim did not like that. Also, sorry some folk, the engine needs to be period to th ecar - ie - no 4/4s with Zetec engines.
I will allow +8s with 4 speed boxes, however, as, to my mind 1972 cars are substantially th esame anyhow. No 4.6 litre engines, however!

I will post again soon with updates. The Trophy is one from jim;s first race meeting, Snetterton 1959, and will have a "band" to the base for the new inscription. I would like to to become an annual award. I am sorting some other goodies, still. Chris Lawrence has agreed to come and be with us on the day.

The total cost is £250:00 per entry. The rise is because I have managed to get more track time, and all Morgan owners can have the benefir of full Master's Hospitality - ie your are catered on the day.

More as and when, but we shall be in touch!

Best and thank you for showing such enthusiasm to commemorate not just the Centenary, but also Jim Tucker.

Guy Loveridge
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

That sounds great Guy. Can you just confirm that it will all happen on the Saturday 23rd May (practice and race) and that it will be on the Indy circuit?
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Yes. It is all on the Saturday of the 3 day Masters Meeting and all on Indy. Shame that, but Brands are not allowed to run meetings on the GP circuit of more than 2 days.

Jim loved the Brands GP - being first morgan home in the Guards 1000 and enjoying the Ilford 500 hugely.

Guy
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hello all,

Now is the time to write to me with an SAE for entry forms.

guy Loveridge
85 Warburton
Emley
West Yorkshire
HD8 9QP

All of you who have expressed an interest on here, I need you to write to me so that I can send out a Masters Entry form.
total cost is £240 - includes hospitality, Coys drinks reception etc.

Get your intention to race notes off to me asap, please, and let's make this the first of an Annual Event!

Many thanks,

All the best,

Guy Loveridge
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi All,

Philip Tisdall and I have both individually received Entry Forms today from the Masters office for The Tucker Trophy at Brands Hatch on the Indy circuit on Saturday 23rd May.

We have already got our cheques off!

Have you all done the same?!

Cheers

Mark
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Well Done Mark and Phil!

I do hope you all do th esame - i have sent out 18 forms up to date - so if you are still "thinking" then DO contact me for a form. I am sending them out, incidentally!

The winner gets The Tucker Trophy for 12 months AND - something quite splendid to keep -

A print of the Jim Dugdale painting - "Malvern Meets Maranello" showing Jim Tucker at Brands in 8334 RU, leading Mike Salmon in David Piper's 250LM. Signed by Jim Tucker, Jim Dugdale and Mike Salmon in a limited edition.

Not sure if that will whet a few more appetites for this race, but it ought to help!
Keep the SAEs coming to me, please.

Best,

Guy
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I have my form too and will be sending it off tomorrow.