Mystery Morgan

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Mystery Morgan

Post by Bob Bull »

I have a puzzle for the experts among you, by whom I mean those with young children/grandchildren. Three year old Harvey was here today and was watching an episode of Postman Pat, now afficionados of the cult series will be aware of the handyman 'Ted Glen', and at one stage of the plot Pat has cause to ring Ted to ask for help. When Pat calls Ted is working in his garage with a car up on an hydraulic ramp. The car is clearly a Morgan, white in colour and looking fairly recent. I could not spot a number plate so no help in identifying the car from that.
Can anyone solve the mystery?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Mystery Morgan

Post by Chris Acklam »

Can't help with Postman Pat, I'm afraid, but coincidentally (in a way) we watched the first episode of the old BBC series Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the other night, and the car scenes were shot in a Morgan (journey from London to Hampshire in pouring rain, then snow). Looked pretty realistic, though they didn't show the water dripping down inside...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris,
I wondered if TTSS might come up, it is a particular favourite of Mrs. B and she asked for, and got that, and the sequel for Christmas! I will take a look and make a note of the number plate, which I think is quite clear on several occasions, as it appears in two or three sequences. Do they use the genuine plates in these things are they fake, any idea?

Having noted that your item on jerry cans, has attracted a lot more interest than my 'Higher Education', (can you believe it?) I thought this was a real 'come-on' title.

NB: For those who are not familiar with Postman Pat, I should point out that is all computer generated, and/or puppets, but it is definitely a Morgan on the ramp.
Regards
simon king

Post by simon king »

Bob, is this the alledged Morgan, that belongs to Dr Sylvia Gilbertson (or so the kid's inform me :wink: ). Registration: SYLVIA 1.

I have never been convinced by the grill to be honest, but maybe I'm just being picky, or this was just a R&D tweak that never made it into production?

Cheers,
Simon
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Simon,
I have tried several times to embed a picture in a post of the Mystery car without success, as you can tell, however, it is not the 'Gilbertson' car as the grille is definitely Morgan. I was not aware of the Gilbertson,but in the same episode you can see a white, open top sports car parked in the street, unfortunately you only see it from the rear and I can not tell if the front end treatment mirrors your pictures. This is probably the Doc's car, after all how many white open top cars can there be in a small place like Greendale?

I wonder if the forum 'know-all', Mark Shears can shed any light on this mystery? I have heard unconfirmed rumours that he is working on the definitive work on the subject; The White Open-Top Sports Cars of Greendale 1910-2008.

I will put up an album on the Morgan Picture site I run and you can see the car there as well as the 'Gilbertson' parked.

I think that the very valuable contribution made by your kids should be recognised, and I trust that Mark will acknowledge this in his mighty tome.

Kindest regards,

Post Man Bob.

PS; How do you embed pictures?
Bob
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Bob Bull wrote:PS; How do you embed pictures?
You have to post them to the web first (on a web photo site, say, like Photobucket or Picasa) and then put in a link between the Image code start and finish blocks (eg. "[img]link[/img]")
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Like! Yeah Man!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

At last, the Mystery Morgan revealed!!
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

Now that I have seen a proper picture of the car in question I can tell you that it is chassis number 5324 delivered to Greendale Garage on 14th April 1967 (invoice date 1/4/67).It appears to be still in its original colour scheme but I don't know if it still has its original engine.

You might ask Richard Plant - he knows everything I don't already know.

Cheers

Mark
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I think it was one of the last of the Plus 4 s and built to Super Sport specification although technically not a true factory Super Sport. Originally raced in the Greendale 24 hours by Mrs Goggins (who then married John Lindsay………), but then written off in an accident with the original (and only true) Noddy car.

Sorry – forgot this isn’t the pantomime site.

I seem to recall there is USA Mog site that lists all the Morgan appearances in films – although I don’t know if it extends to Postman Pat.

If you google Postman Pat and Morgans there is quite a lot of info on the Gilbertson car – and they claim it is a +8

http://www.gatewaymonthly.com/83bbp.html

Vehicles
• Pat's van — Driven by Postman Pat. (1981-)
• Ted's Truck — Driven by Ted Glen and based on a mid 30s Bedford Truck. (1981-)
• Dr Gilbertson's car — Driven by Dr Gilbertson and based on a Morgan Plus 8 (2005-)
• PC Selby's Car — Driven by PC Selby and is based on a Rover P6. (1991-)
• The Greendale Rocket — Driven by Ajay Bains. (2003-)
• Amy's 4x4 — Driven by Amy Wrigglesworth based on a 2002 Range Rover. (2005-)
• Sam's Van — Driven by Sam Waldren and is based on a Bedford Minivan. (1981-2002)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Originally raced in the Greendale 24 hours by Mrs Goggins (who then married John Lindsay………),
Strange, John never mentioned being married to Mrs Goggins, did she get a divorce from Mr. Goggins before they married or did he have an "accident"?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I am pleased to see that this thread is gettting the response it deserves as an in depth study of Morgan et al in Greendale, and I would like to thank all of our learned corresponents for their invaluable contributions on the subject.
I have to admit that my knowledge of motoring in Greendale has been considerably enhanced by the likes of Leigh and Mark with their detailed and highly discursive (?) posts.

A study of the Gilbertson makes me think I can indentify four SU carbs, would this be correct for a +8 of the period? The engine does not look a V8, but I stand to be corrected (and I am sure I will be by some 'Clever Dick').

It might also be worth my recording an incident that occured some 15+ years ago.
I was in Woolworths (remember those?) in Dunstable and was casting my eye over a rack of Videos labelled 'Screen Legends', amongst the films on display were epics starring the likes of John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Marylyn Monroe and Postman Pat! I still have the video bearing the sticker 'Screen Legends'.
So you see we are not talking trivia on this site.

I was delighted to Mary Lindsay, nee Goggins, making her prescence felt

I can't understand why the likes of Andy Downes and Tim Falce have not helped out here, surely they must have information critical to the subject of Morgans in Greendale?

I await thunderous replies,

Bob.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

A study of the Gilbertson makes me think I can indentify four SU carbs, would this be correct for a +8 of the period? The engine does not look a V8, but I stand to be corrected
They look more like Webers to me. A Plus 8 would have only 2 SUs unless it was very modified in which case it might have Holley carbs (as Adam Bridgland's well known car used to).
Mary Lindsay, nee Goggins
I hate to be pedantic ( :^o ) but Mary Lindsay was not nee Goggins at all. There are some who think she was grown from a culture of Castrol R and steam cylinder oil.
Last edited by Mary Lindsay on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Mary Lindsay wrote:I hate to be pedantic ( :^o ) but Mary Lindsay was not nee Goggins at all. There are some who think she was grown from a culture of Castrol R and steam cylinder oil.
Mary Lindsay née Stig perhaps?
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

You can tell Chris is more cultured (and / or more of a keyboard expert) than Bob and Mary - he knows that there is an accent on nee - AND knows how to type the accent.
Mind you - with a Spanish wife.....