100 Years

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Re: 100 Years

Post by Bob Bull »

Some interesting facts have been unearthed by the more sober members, for which we thank the likes of Charles and Richard, however, as always a few inebriated souls will go astray.

I expected the subject to wander 'off-piste' eventually, but it seems to me that certain rowdies have taken the piste completely. Why is it that some people can not take life seriously?

I know that ex-GP driver Jack Lafitte was to have driven a Morgan in the FIA GT Championships,I do not believe it ever came to pass, but I suppose the average Morgan driver would not consider him a 'big name'.

No doubt following the outbreak of Germanic humour on this site we shall have to urge Herr Lees on with cries of Raus! Raus, Schnell, Schnell! this season.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I see from my programme for the 1949 Daily Express Trophy meeting at Silverstone, that P H G Morgan was entered in the Production Car Race in a 1098cc Morgan. I do not have a result, but I am sure some one will know how he got on.
He was competing in the Up to 1500cc Class which contained 3 HRG's, 2 Jowetts, and 3 MG's. Each Class winner received £25 and the prog cost 1/-
The programme also carries and advert for the Jowett Javelin boasting of a top speed of 78mph 0-60 in 22.2 secs.
You could have bought a 1936 Bugatti Type 57 for £895 from Guy Salmon.

Were you there Mark?

Bob
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Cheeky devil! Although it was my birthday last Saturday I am pleased to say I was born 5 years after the Daily Express International Trophy race.

It was held on 20th August on the new perimeter road circuit of 2.97 miles not dissimilar to the circuit we race on today and Peter drove CAB 652 which as you say was fitted with a 1098 cc Climax engine.

It was a Le Mans start and Peters main opposition were the HRGs.It was a 1 hour race and Peter finished 14th overall and 3rd in class behind two of the HRGs. Not bad when you consider their engines were 400cc bigger than the Morgan.

Cheers

Mark

PS I am indebted to Messrs. Alderson and Chapman for the above information.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark Shears wrote:Although it was my birthday last Saturday
Many Happy Returns (Belated)

Just as I thought, someone knew the answers, however, where did he start on the grid and what was his race number*?
It is these insignificant details that keep historians fascinated over the years, and make their life meaningful.

The Insufferable Bob Bull.
Regards