Awards Dinner 2008

Races, track days, testing ...
Richard Smith

Awards Dinner 2008

Post by Richard Smith »

I would like to apologise again publicly to those winners who were not able to be presented with trophies at last night's Awards Dinner, as some of the trophies had not been returned.

I am therefore instigating a new rule this year, that ALL trophies for presentation at the Annual Awards Dinner are returned to me by 31st December. This will mean that I will take on the responsibility of having the new recipients names engraved, I will be able to make a catalogue of all the Club Trophies, and there will be no disappointed winners on the night. This rule may not apply to the Race Series and Speed Series awards which are presented at the respective Drivers Dinners, but such awards for re-presentation at the Awards Dinner will be brought along by the holders should they wish to attend the event.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Awards Dinner 2008

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Richard, is there a list of the 2008 winners anywhere? I can't see anything in Miscellany.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Yep, it will be in the March issue of Miscellany. Until the Dinner, only the winners know!
Richard Smith
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

the dinner was a great event mainly due to hard work by the olivers and mr smith's excellent running of the awards ceremony.
my first attendance for over 15 years was rewarded by good company, good food...
BUT only around 8 mogs in the car park!
why is the club called a car club if no one uses their car?
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Agreed - the RLS awards speech was entertaining and as for the replica awards - lovely silver photo frame but somewhat marred by containing a photo (hopefully removable) of RLS and Brian Lee !
Mary - nothing for you this year I'm afraid - there wasn't an award for best pantomime writer.
Tony for all his comments didn't ACTUALLY come in a Morgan himself - although I suppose the pre war Vauxhall is an acceptable alternative. How is your cold Tony ? Turned to flu yet ? And Jen came in the Series 1. While I thought going in Iris' 4WD Subaru (as opposed to the Discovery) was a bit risky and there was a fair bit of snow around Burford and Cotswolds, but not much in Malvern.
Tony & Jen both got awards - (Mog Sprint and Series 1 Trophy) which was an impressive family achievement.
And there was an interesting speech when Greg Dixon Smith got the Classic Trials trophy - the first time a Mog had got gold award in all 3 trials for 20 years - last achieved by Barry Sumner.
At the spares fair this morning there was a stand selling lots of 8 x 6 B & W photos apparently inherited from the late Chris Harvey. Lots of the Snett 24 hours racing and generally 1970s - 1980s Mog photos. If anyone wants I can give the seller's details.
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

this is what I remember from the good(?) old days:
abbey car park circa 1982?
Katy Thompson
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Katy Thompson »

The dinner was great fun, Mr T had a very very sore head the following day........ something to do with lots of "shorts" in the bar with others who were given free reign...... Anyone else care to admit to a fuzzy sunday?

The photo is great. A little further south and the snow could easily be achieved, shame about the lack of mogs though.
Katy Thompson
Race Series Coordinator
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

A lot of fun,
What Sunday? was there one :lol:
Philip
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

just found this; the Saturday version of the Sunday one above.
far left at bottom of car park is a +8, Bill Frazer-Campbell's 1953? +4 and my 1948 4/4 series one.
I think it is Barry Sumner's yellow +4 and Murray Montgomery-Smiths car next to the lamp post.
I suspect that the band was the same one as this year...
Cheers, Tony
Katy Thompson
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Katy Thompson »

What a large dump of snow overnight!

Shame that the available parking slots weren't as plentiful as in the photo........

Did more people walk that year?
Katy Thompson
Race Series Coordinator
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi All,

The pictures bring back memories! Jane and I had only had our new Ivory 4/4 two seater the previous October so it was the first time it had seen real snow.

When we came out of our room at the Abbey to go down to the bar for a drink before dinner on the Saturday night we met the couple in the next room as we exited. I had never met them before but my wife and the other girl knew one another at once and got on famously - it was the first time they had seen one another since they had been at school together and had evidently both married 'Morgan' men!

That was the first time I met Chas and Helen Windridge!

Cheers

Mark

PS I remember pushing all those Morgans going home after the Dinner Dance in the early hours of Sunday morning from the car park up the hill in my Dinner Suit and getting soaked in the process! We were bouncing them up like a trial!
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

For those out there who still have awards, will they PLEASE arrange to have them returned to me on or after Saturday 28th February, as I am away this week.
Those who should have been presented with them two weeks ago would like to display them in their own homes.

To say that I am disappointed I do not already have them is an understatement.
Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

The NCM held today agreed with my proposal that ALL trophies to be presented at the Awards Dinner to be held February 2010 should be returned to me BY December 31st 2009. This will ensure that all trophies being presented will be engraved with the new recipients name, and indeed, that a trophy will be presented to them. It will also mean that I can take this opportunity to photograph and catalogue the trophies. Trophies that are awarded at the Race and Sprint Drivers Dinners are not included, but should be brought by the holders to the Awards Dinner if they are being re-presented.
Richard Smith
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

This is a sensible arrangement but could I suggest that you email current holders to remind them.
Christmas is a busy time and we are all a bit forgetful especially if there is nothing in Miscellany to remind us about the points positions.