HSCC/GTS/Challenge Donington 4-5th April '09

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC/GTS/Challenge Donington 4-5th April '09

Post by John Clarke »

First race of the season beckons for some of the +4s.

Too early for me and I believe some rebuilds maybe delayed. So there maybe not quite the strength of +4s that you could generally expect.

Please advise who has entered and the timetable for both days.

Jonno and I will try and get up there on one of the two days to spectate as 'her indoors' is taking a trip to Oz.
Chris Acklam

Re: HSCC/GTS/Challenge Donington 4-5th April '09

Post by Chris Acklam »

MGCC meeting is on Sat 4th - with a Challenge race and a Thoroughbreds race as well as the Equipe GTS - so lots to see. Timetable and details not fully published yet but to be found here.

HSCC meeting is on Sunday 5th and timetable is here.

Hope to see you there on the Saturday John.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

I shall be there on both days racing with Equipe GTS and then the Guards Trophy on Sunday. It will really be no more than a shakedown given the car will be on new brakes, tyres, front suspension and with me squashed in under the new hardtop. Let's hope this weather holds ! It will be nice to do Donington in the dry - unlike last year which was like Ice Station Zebra.

M
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

I may come along for a beer or two as the +4 is still some way from finished. It will be an interesting experience to have the +4 on Dunlops in the snow if last year is anything to go by!
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

I am racing on the Saturday and would appreciate two tickets for the Sunday

Andy
simon king

Post by simon king »

FOJ is now back on the road :) so we'll be doing HSCC HRS on the Sunday.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

simon king wrote:FOJ is now back on the road :) so we'll be doing HSCC HRS on the Sunday.
Simon, that's fantastic news. You must be really looking forward to get out on track again. Well done for making it through the travails. I shall be there from Friday afternoon so available for beers !

I have a table booked at a good Italian in Ashby for the Saturday night so if anybody on the forum would like to join the group let me know and I'll increase the booking. Best email on mark.hoble@mercer.com.

Mark
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Simon,

That is great news! but isn't it typical that my car will not quite be ready in time! Never mind I will look forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

Cheers

Mark
simon king

Post by simon king »

Hi Mark & Mark,

yes, as you can imagine, I'm delighted and really looking forward to the season ahead now. Mark H, I'll probably catch up with you on the Sunday - haven't decided when to travel yet. Mark S, hopefully see you at Cadwell then?

Regards,

Simon
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Simon,

Can't do Cadwell but should be out at Silverstone. Have a good day.

Cheers,

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

4 cylinder Morgans entered for this weekend:-

Saturday

Race 1; Equippe GTS - Mark Hoble +4. NB 3rd Reserve

Race 7; Morgan Challenge - no +4s but plenty of +8s and Roadsters

Sunday

13.30; HSCC 70's Roadsports - only +8s of Paul Conway and Richard Plant

16.00; HSCC Guards Trophy - Mark Hoble +4

17.00; HSCC Historic Roadsports - Simon King +4, Richard Thorne 4/4 and +8s of James Paterson, Tony Howard,Paul Conway and Oliver Phillips. Suzanne Shears has entered her MGB
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

John,

On the ball as ever thanks for the info.

Richard.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Lots of sun, lots of +4 Morgan owners, but very few racing typified the MGCC/HSCC weekend. Highlights were seeing Richard's +4, ex Brian Jenkins, now blue and lowline. Mark Hoble's +4, still high line but resprayed a historic green and sporting the Reg XOV....and of course Simon Kings +4SS, again high line. Only two raced and one finished......

Mark's race with the Equippe GTS went well until a screw wormed itself into the head and casued an early retirement. Lap times were very good and Dunlop's do not seem to be much, if any, of a handicap.

Richard Thorne was out in his 4/4 in the Thoroughbred Sports Car Race finishing 25th.

The Sunday was HSCC day and I was back home in the warmth. Results published show that Richard Plant's +8 took pole in the 70's Roadsports but lost out in the race to a 928.

The HRS saw Simon finish the race after qualifying 22nd and finishing 23rd. Congrats Simon on finishing, hopefully it will be the first of many. Ahead of Simon was Richard Thorne in his 4/4 who managed a respectable 19th.

The HRS +8s of Tony Howard and Oliver Phillips finished 5th and 7th respectively.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

John

You are right about the Dunlops - all went well in the handling and braking departments (thanks to Jonathon R for the recommendation on pads and shoes) and I was really pleased with the way the car felt and went. Until it ingested one of the screws that holds the trumpets onto the Webers. As these are inside the air filter it only had one place to go !

Anyway I stopped quickly and not too much damage was done so I should be OK for the next Guards race at Silverstone in early May.

By the way, I don't know why I was so concerned about ventilation with the hard top on. It's such a bad fit and the screens lean out so much at high speeds that there was quite a breeze coming through the car !

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

With a solid link to a thread in 'on track' how did the yellow flag section of the track effect the racing?

Also what impression did you all get concerning the improvements to the site so far?

Does it look possible that a Grand Prix could be held there in a litlle over 12 months time?

Very happy to get your views.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards