Where Have All The Posters Gone?

Race chatter
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Where Have All The Posters Gone?

Post by Chris Acklam »

If ducks do wax, then that could explain why they walk like that and quack like that ....
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I started this thread to wish all racers a successful season, but look where it has lead us!

I can but refer you to an early subject 'Do Morgan Drivers Get Lost'.

As an ex- racing cyclist I can assure you that the reason for shaving one's legs was purely on safety grounds. In the event on a fall (coming on your ear) and grazing one's limbs it made treating and healing wounds so much more hygenic. Racing cyclists are less bothered about personal injury than the average racing driver!

Still subjects on this forum tend to wax and wane I have noticed.

On the other subject raised in this thread I suppose playing in a scrum is such a bind!

Never mind the deviation, it is good to see so many familiar names popping up here again.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Could we see a picture of Bob Bull the racing cyclist – and hear about his greatest achievement ?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh,
I might be able to find a couple of early daguerreotypes depicting the neatly shaved legs of one of Englands top racing cyclists from a past era, however, lacking the technology to 'digitise' them it may take a while before they can be posted on this site.
It must be obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in BHP that I am always susceptible to flattery so you will not be suprised to hear that I will find a way to expose myself to ridicule and scorn before long.

As to greatest exploit? Well I seem to recall I once actually completed the full distance of a 90 mile road race, but modesty forbids me to mention it.

Bob Bull
ex Edgware Road Club.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

To Modest BOB hqw many riders and where did you come ??

love jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
Alright! I'm not modest, just ashamed, the answers to your questions are
a) Lots &
b) I have no idea, but the chequered flag had disappeared by the time I arrived at the finish. (swines)

I did one season in 1960 as a 3rd Category Rider (novice) and early in 1961 after some very hard training rides in be order to super fit I was hospitalised for six months when my lungs collapsed. A fairly serious handicap for a cyclist!!

With regard to scraping dead flies of bodywork, I think you would find a ready market amongst the cycling fraternity for your product. No serious racing cyclist could claim, 'There are no flies on me!' at the end of a race.

Leigh,
I have unearthed suitable visual images of my heyday as a greyhound of the road, and will now find some kind soul with a scanner in order to display them here.

Personally I always felt that people with beards had something to hide (other than a chin).

Bob Bull
Honorary Member of the 'Let's Upset a Pogonophile Society'
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Is (or was) the 'Edgware Road Club' a cycle club based in Edgware Road or a 'road cycle' club based in Edgware ? ie to distiguish it from the Edgware 'off-road' Club ?

Given that it was 1960 I don't think mountain biking was big in 1960 so presumably it was based in Edgware Road.

This is all terribly important to historians....
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote:Is (or was) the 'Edgware Road Club' a cycle club based in Edgware Road or a 'road cycle' club based in Edgware ? ie to distiguish it from the Edgware 'off-road' Club ?
Leigh,
I can understand your need for clarification, as I presume you are not an ex, or even active, racing cyclist?

The 'Edgware Road' - Club, would probably be some sort of residents association, or a group of frustrated motorists who sent many unhappy hours in traffic jams along the, not inconsiderable length of the road.

The Edgware - 'Road Club', might be made up of citizens of the North London suburb, sharing a common interest in 'roads' who meet up to discuss their favourite stretches of highway. 'I particularly like Acacia Avenue, it is such a sweet place', or 'Acklams Close is very quiet on a Sunday evening.' etc.

However, 'The Edgware Road Club' consisted of cyclists who formed the club in order to take part in competitive events on the road. Events like massed start races held on public roads not closed to normal traffic, or Time Trials, anything from 10 miles to 24 hours!

You are quite right in that 'mountain bike' events did not exist when I was competing, but despite the clubs title the Edgware was one of the countries leading Cyclo Cross clubs with members representing their country in World Championships, while I myself was Secretary of the LCCA (London Cyclo Cross Association)
and at various times Membership Secretary, and Treasurer of the BCCA. In this latter capacity I was involved in the promotion of the World Cyclo Cross Championships in 1973 held at Crystal Palace and sponsored by the Daily Telegraph.
(Souvenir posters are still available at a very reasonable price)

During my racing career I competed in all disciplines, massed starts, time trials and cyclo cross, and was equally unsuccessful at them all.

I hope this makes clear the role of the Edgware Road Club in the context of this forum and my part in it's downfall. (Only joking it still exists in some form even today)

Should any readers be offended by the decidedly non motoring strain that this thread has wandered into, please address your complaints to a certain Mary Lindsay who first introduced cyclists to our discussions.

Bob more grimpuer than rouler.

NB; I see that Brawn triumphed over brain in Oz.
Regards
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Bob Bull wrote: Should any readers be offended by the decidedly non motoring strain that this thread has wandered into, please address your complaints to a certain Mary Lindsay who first introduced cyclists to our discussions.
Dont blame Mary Bob , I believe you introduced the cycling thing in an earlier post when you told us how back in the 20's you used to cycle to Silverstone from north London.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jerry,
Like a true geentleman you leap to defend the honour of a lady, I am delighted to see such chivalry still exists in this day and age.

I must also congratulate you on your memory! Fancy recalling some long forgotten item on my youth to use against me, no doubt I shall be blamed for any mention of rackets that might creep into the forum, tennis or otherwise!

Still it was Mary who brought legs into it.

I shall have to post with care in the future.

Regards,

Bob
Regards
Robin Singleton

Post by Robin Singleton »

Bob

I seem to remember that amongst your other sporting achievements you also played tennis!

Robin Singleton
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

What I actually said was:
I have heard the some male athletes have wax treatment especially swimmers and cyclists.
I didn't mention legs, it is you Bob who have some strange preoccupations on this topic.....
I did mention swimmers though. Do you have also some major achievements to your credit in this sport?
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

[quote="Bob Bull"]Jerry,
no doubt I shall be blamed for any mention of rackets that might creep into the forum, tennis or otherwise![quote]

Why ? is it still for sale?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Does anyone remember the Rock'n Roll record by The Coasters, 'Charlie Brown' ? It contained the line

"Why is everybody always picking on me?"

Mary. If you were not refering to cyclists waxing their legs, which particular part of their anatomy did you have in mind?

Robin, I am fairly certain that I never claimed to have PLAYED tennis, merely offered a non-existent racket for sale, for which gross misdemeanour I have already paid the penalty.

Jerry, is there a diference between raquets and rackets as far as you know?

Mary. Things never go swimmingly for me I have noticed, even an attempt to be nice to people ahead of the new season has backfired, leaving me mired in controversy once again.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

bob--no doubt I shall be blamed for any mention of rackets that might creep into the forum, tennis or otherwise![quote]

Miss J. Hunter Dunn?
peter