F1 drivers' championship 2009

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Re: F1 drivers' championship 2009

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh,
Nice to meet another Barnet Boy, do you remember the Darcy Brothers who were stars of the football club, or so I understand as I used to spend my time cycling to Silverstone and other far flung venues, thats when my old Vauxhall was not running and the battery was at the Odeon Motors being charged.
I'm sure that Jack will know what rhyming slang 'yer barnet' referred to.
When you were 13 I was getting married in Union Street, so maybe we never met.

I reckon Jenson Button will win the Formula 1 championship this year ............remember! You heard it here first.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

I had a Great Aunt who lived in Barnet. The posh end I assume......
She had a house opposite Monken Hadley Golf Course in Old Fold Close. When I was little, my brother and I used to go fishing in the ponds on the green.

Happy days

Thanks for the memories Bob

Cheers
Tim
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

to all of those reminiscing about Barnet
did any of you come across one Gordon Bennet?
peter
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Hadley now that is the posh end of Barnet
I have played(tryed) golf at Old Ford Manor
and fished in the ponds only last year..

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Crumbs, we really have wandered of course here, but who cares?
Tim,
You probably mean Old Fold Lane, which is directly opposite the memorial marking the site of the Battle of Barnet (1471) in Galley Lane.
I too have fished the ponds on Hadley Common with a small net trying to catch newts when they weren't an endangered species, Hadley Green Motors was the local dealer for Rolls Royce and I can recall gazing in the window at the mighty cars on display, it was not far from the site (then a bomb site) where a V2 fell during the war, completely demolishing several very posh houses. I was in an air raid shelter about 1/2 mile from the site when the bomb hit and I can still recall seeing the walls of the Anderson Shelter bend under the blast.
Hadley was, and still is the POSH part, you would have to sell several Morgans to afford the price of a property there. My wife's cousin lives on the Meadway so we often pass by this part of town, even popping into Prezzos for lunch, which is very close to Old Fold, on occasion.
Leigh must have lived in Underhill which is close to Frien Barnet Park, if he flew his drug fuelled model aircrat there. I wonder if Jack netted any newts on his recent foray to the Common?

Peter,
Gordon Bennet? Do you mean THE GB or are you referring to some local character of lesser fame? If you mean the former, I must admit I had no idea he had any connection with the town. (cue; scorn from Jack and Mary).

As a fig leaf to protect the original purpose of this thread, Will there be a World Championship next year without many of the major players?

Bob. Local Historian.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob you didnt mention the 2 horses !!

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
Your addiction to horses is causing me some concern, as I am unsure as to your precise interest in these noble beasts. I have seen references to your wife in previous posts, and to a 'Sally', is Sally a horse or merely a nag, if on the other hand 'Sally' is the wife, you had better ignore this post entirely, for fear of causing offence.

It may be that you are into flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality, or I'm just flogging a dead horse.

Advises welcome.

Bob
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob ,,That depends if your enjoying it or not ??

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

In a (probably foolish) attempt to bring this subject back under control, I thought I might mention the fact that I will be busy over the weekend, as I am forced to spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday working at the British Grand Prix, in order to keep the public informed of events there.
I will study form, and endeavour to ascertain if Nakajima is indeed worth having in the office sweepstake, as originally conjectured by Chris Acklam*.
Having ben accused of smugness in the past I shall omit details of my culinary arrangements for fear of causing upset to TV viewers. I do not anticipate having to report on any Morgan participation in events at the circuit, but I will look out for any drivers in the historic race that may be of interest to this site.
While I hope, sincerely that we may now cling to the chosen path, I rather suspect that various subversive elements with not enough to do with their time will soon restore anarchy.

* Please see original post

Bob Bull, Formula 1 Editor-in-Chief, BBC Three Counties Radio (and all round good bloke)
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Bob, we would have awaited your F1 report with bated breath, but unfortunately we don't receive BBC Three Counties Radio in sunny Essex.
Just to keep the topic fully on message: F1, F1, F1, F1
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

surely you can "listen again" on t'internet? :)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

surely you can "listen again" on t'internet?
But that's not LIVE is it? :roll:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties

'Listen live'

Why not click on 'Sport' on left hand side of page and read Bull's motor sport item, then enter say 'john emberson' into the search box and see what comes up.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, it is beholden to me to inform you that there would appear to be a serious, manifest and wilful representation on the behalf of your employer and your good self—but I hope that should appropriate measures be taken (abject apology, absolution) then divine retribution may be avoided.

I refer of course to “3 Counties”

Every right thinking individual knows that this of course refers to Worcestershire, Herefordshire, and Gloucestershire.

Although I was absent from this sceptered isle for many years I had not seen any Act of Parliament or Regal dispensation from the preordained order.

Every knight yeoman peasant and serf of the true and one and only three counties will rail up against this gross affront

It pains me to bring this to your attention but I am forced as ever from lack of time to repeat a few well worn phrases plagiarised from an earlier rant of mine (subject now long forgotten) but still apposite:

Gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed ,
And hold their manhoods cheap ...

we are of that age,
with true heroes and dastardly villains,
of soul stirring deeds of derrring- do,---
what else strikes to the very core,
what else defines the true male gene,
what else can be so exhilarating, dream inspiring,
what else sets the blood coursing so.......eyes moistening, throat tightening, teeth clamping, knee trembling, stomach binding, heart quickening, fist clenching......

from time immemorial

and was jerusalem builded here?

This blessèd plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?

As to you deniers :

Is not their climate foggy, raw, and dull,
On whom, as in despite, the sun looks pale,
Killing their fruit with frowns?
shame on you sirrah

The English winter—ending in July,
To recommence in August
peter
jack bellinger
Tech Comm