Race series for novice

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Jim Mountain

Race series for novice

Post by Jim Mountain »

Just a thought running round my head and it may not come to anything,

but can anyone recomend a race series where a novice would be welcomed in a mildly modified 1972 4/4 ?

I kind of discounted the Morgan Challange, as the thought of Rick, Keith and everyone else for that matter, steaming past like I'm stood still doesn't appeal that much.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: Race series for novice

Post by jack bellinger »

Jim dont worry Rick- Kieth overtake me all the time.. I came last in my last 2 outings .. but still had a good time. and the Morgan Challenge would love to have you ..
Or maybe try the Slow Handicap at Bentley Drivers ..

jack
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

The HSCC's 70s Roadsports championship - a great series where you would be guaranteed a race with someone every time you go out. As a 4/4 in their class structure you would also be very competitive.

But you would get lapped by Mr Plant !

Mark
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

The Morgan Challenge really is a great place to cut your racing teeth. I remember my 1st race at a wet Thruxton with Klaus Nesbach directly behind me in his fully modified Class A +8 (No I didn't out qualify him, he was sent to the back for some infringement). At the start, I frantically waved which way he should pull out with fears that he would run right over me - no matter, when the lights went out Klaus just disappeared in a ball of spray and I could concentrate keeping the +4 on a wet track and beating Acklam and Orebi Gann (also in their first race).

The Class A cars for the next 6 or so seasons were never a problem - they were so quick and had so much grip that they can pass you anywhere. The key is to stick to your racing line and let them sort themselves out. More of a problem were those cars slightly quicker than you - specially those slow in the corners but with grunt on the straights.

Morgan Challenge is the best place for a novice without a shadow of a doubt. Problem with the inter marque series is that drivers get the red mist (no way that wooden chassis is coming past type of thing) or in my case, that B****y TR5 will not be getting the inside line next time!!!

Give me a ring and we'll have a beer and I can bore you for hours with my "if only" exploits

john
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

John Clarke wrote:and I could concentrate keeping the +4 on a wet track and beating Acklam and Orebi Gann (also in their first race).
Quite right. I am not (too) embarrassed to admit that the only way I was able to find my way round the track was by desperately keeping close to the fog light of the car in front (John) as a) I didn't know where the next corner was or which way it went and b) couldn't see anything anyway... It was a nightmare!
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

seriously jim, try the morgan challenge, they are all gentleman (or ladies or ?) and more impotantly owners and will respect you and your car
you will get value , experience and enjoyment
you already know simon, phillip and jonathon
besides i need somebody to keep me company at the back of the pack ( to distinguish us from the back of the self deprecating grid mob who nevertheless still dissappear into the distance in clouds of exhaust)
come , we can share deeds of derrring do
contact kate
its not too late for thruxton
peter
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

ditto.
Jim, you will be made very welcome. try steve.carr@mgcc.co.uk for a late entry at donington this weekend?
look forward to seeing you on the track.
cheers, Tony
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Thanks for all the advise, can't see me getting round to anything till late this year or early next year.

John, I'll give you a bell in the next week or two, (If I ever get the chance to stop working !), and see if I can pick you brains over a beer.
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Just passed my ARDS test at Castle Combe today so will be joining the Morgan Challenge for some races next year in Class E. This despite nearly being taken off the track by Damon Hill's son in a Formula Ford!

John
:OO:
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Fantastic! Well done John.
Why wait until next year?
The Hill experience will be very useful [-o<
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

John,
why not come and join the fun at Cadwell on Sept 5th. I am sure if you talk to Steve Carr at the MG car club he will sort you out.
Philip
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

I'd love to do Cadwell but not sure if I can get the car prepped in time- still need to get fire extinguisher fitted and news set of tyres. So two questions:

Are the A048 s the best choice and if so which compound?
Should I go for mechanical or electrical extinguisher and any recommendations?

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Congrats Mr Bevan,

I should be doing mine in October/November, was the Castle Combe ARDS course any good ?

I've been wondering where to race my Mog next year and was thinking I was going to avoid the Morgan Challange as there would be noone to race, but if your going to be doing it I might just have to change my mind (again).

How many races are you planning to do next year ?

Jim
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

john bevan wrote:Are the A048 s the best choice and if so which compound?
Should I go for mechanical or electrical extinguisher and any recommendations?
I think Class E has the choice of A048 or Avon CR6ZZ. The A048 (M compound) are probably quickest in the dry, the Avons in the wet.

As for extinguishers, most seem to have the mechanical type (they are simpler and hard to set off accidentally).
Chris
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

John,
I got my extinguisher kit from GPR at silverstone. They are easy to fit, you could fit it in a afternoon. If you are at MIRA tomorrow we can have a word
Philip