HSCC Cadwell Park 19th April 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Jonathon Rushton

HSCC Cadwell Park 19th April 2009

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

Just a very brief report into the antics at Cadwell Park the other weekend for those of you who could not/dare not make it, you were all sorely missed.

It was left to the likes of Simon King (in his superb +4ss) and myself to keep the Royal end up on what was a lovely weekend in the middle of nowhere, Lincolnshire.

The practice session on the Friday (I know it's officially referred to as cheating) was dry but a hit and miss affair as we shared sessions with the TVR's and Ginetta's of the BRSCC wobbled and weaved there way into the tyres at Mountain and Hall bends time and time again! On every occasion the session would be red flagged whilst the bits of glass fibre were retrieved from the tyre wall, giving very little in the way of actual track time.

The Historic Roadsports race was first practice/first race on Sunday which started rather chilly but turned out to be a gloriously sunny day and, apart from at Barn the track was displaying a fair amount of grip. Out of the twenty two runners and riders Simon King and I qualified 20th (2:03.08) and 11th (1:52.1) respectively.

Come the race Simon and I had our own battles. Simon found himself on the grid behind the TR 5 of David Kirby and TR 2 of Richard Owen but by lap four he had successfully done away with the TR 2 and was by lap five matching the TR 5 for pace and focused on reeling in the TR 5 and in process put in a v impressive 1:57.0. On a less productive note I found myself adopting the rather old fashioned 'elbows out' style of motor racing as I tried, in vain, to keep the Marcos and Turner Mk II behind me. By lap eight the Marcos had nipped through as I ran wide round Chris Curve and come lap ten the Turner Mk II had done the same at the bottom of the Goose Neck.

All in all a good showing with Simon 17th and myself 11th on the day.

See you all at the HSCC Silverstone Intl meeting in ten days time.

Jonathon
Mark Shears

Re: HSCC Cadwell Park 19th April 2009

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Guys,

Great report Jonathon - sorry I couldn't be with you as I was at Burnham Market Horse Trials in deepest Norfolk! In any case the Morgan wasn't back together!

It is now with Mr.Tisdalls help and look forward to seeing you both - and the other Morgan racers at Silverstone (as long as I can get to Badminton to help daughter!)

Cheers

Mark
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Morning Mark,
It is always a “bugger” everything happens and clashes at once. Have a word with a certain Mr. Tony Lees. I seem to remember that he had a similar problem last year, (all be it with car entries) with getting from Prescott to Silverstone. I think he sorted it with a Robinson R22 what ever that is.
I know that Badminton caters for them, I suggest you give the said Mr. Lees a call
:P :P
Philip
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Badminton to Silverstone is what, 80 miles as the crow flies. No time at all in a patent Shears dirigible, complete with go-faster stripes.....
Chris
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Ha! Ha! Hadn't thought of that Chris!

I was thinking Philip that perhaps Mrs Lees could take over my duties at Badminton?!!!
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

free ticket should work :P
Philip
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

A free R22 ride for me (Oulton Park Saturday to Wiscombe Park Sunday next week!) and Jen is your groom for the day [-o<
Whilst I would like it put about that I fly everywhere... :mrgreen: I have to admit to only having done it once but what fun it was!
Cheers, Tony
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Jonathon,

Thanks for the full report on Cadwell its sounds as though it was a lot of fun only to sorry I couldn’t be there but building up future brownie points for the rest of the season. See you at the HSCC meeting at Silverstone.

Tony,

Looks like a hefty fuel bill on the way :lol: do any of your cars do more than 10 miles to the gallon :?:

Richard.
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

RICHARD PLANT wrote: do any of your cars do more than 10 miles to the gallon :?:
Yes but I have to pay road licence tax on those ones :(
Burn baby burn.
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Tony,
Are you using the chinook ??

It has ben done, On one of the Monty Carlo Rallies that Mark and I did ( years ago) there was one driver and his navigator that had a chinook sent to Monty Carlo to collect them and car at the end of the rally. .............. but then they did fly them as a job!!!!
Philip
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Aha! That could have been why Tony had so much grief from the planners. A large flat roof with a big cross to go on top of the Orangery perhaps lacked some of the essential period features necessary for a conservation area.
Chris