Techniques Trophy - BDC 8th August 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Techniques Trophy - BDC 8th August 2009

Post by Brian Gateson »

Hello Everyone,

This year’s ‘Centenary’ Morgan TT will once again be held at the Bentley Drivers Club Silverstone meeting on Saturday 8th August. Some of you will be aware that it is also the BDC 60th anniversary with the event being spread over two days, (racing on the Sunday). Both days are being organised by Duncan Wiltshere and his Legends team and so should be quite a spectacle.

This year will be the 4th Morgan TT and each year we have seen a bigger Morgan contingent on the grid with some fabulous 4 cylinder Morgan’s present, along with some very close racing, making this a very special race for 4 cylinder cars.

Any 4 wheeled 4 cylinder Morgan (no turbos / superchargers) is eligible to race and so please pass on this date to any potential Morgan racer who you think may wish to join in the fun and ask them to contact Tracy or myself to register their interest.

As soon as the entry forms are available you will be contacted, to be sure that you get your entry in early, as with previous years you will also be racing against MG’s and a sprinkling of AC’s.

It would be much appreciated if you can register your interest with us as soon as possible by contacting Tracy Gateson at morgans@techniques.uk.com or telephone 01462 835500.

Please remember all past and present 4 cylinder Morgans are eligible, so hopefully we will get to see a 4/4 Sport out there soon !

Brian.
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Re: Techniques Trophy - BDC 8th August 2009

Post by Brian Gateson »

Hello again,

For those of you who may not have seen my e-mail, I can now confirm that the regs are now available for this years TT at the BDC. Tracy has sent out to everyone we have registered, the regs on an attachment and so please send off to the BDC as soon as you can, so that we can be sure of as many Morgans on the grid as possible.

This year we have had more 4 cylinder Morgans showing interest than ever before and so we hope to have a good grid of cars from all ages. Should there be any of you that have not seen the regs, please contact Tracy or myself at morgans@techniques.uk.com or telephone 01462 835500 and we can pass them on to you.

I will soon post a listing of the cars and their drivers, as they enter !

Brian.
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

Entries have been pouring in. 15 mogs so far and a grid in the mid 20's. Brian will publish a list of entries so far. Still time to get entries in and still space on the grid. So if you haven't entered, now is the time!!!
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Post by Brian Gateson »

Hello everyone,

There is a 'bumper' Morgan grid entered for this years TT, featuring two of the previous winners, Simon's beautiful SLR, TOK, XOV, RU (ex Jim Tucker Morgan) Two original Super Sports and many more as listed below.

TT confirmed entries:

David Phillips TR +4
Jeff Stow TR +4
Simon King TR +4 Super Sports

Richard Plant TR +4
John Clake TR +4 Super Sports
Colin Pearcy TR +4

James 'Billy' Bellinger 4/4
Richard Thorne 4/4
Mark Shears TR +4

Adrian Van Der Kroft TR +4
Simon Oribi Gann SLR
Malcolm Paul TR +4

Keith Ahlers TR +4
John Emberson TR +4
Jonathon Rushton TR +4

Mark Gilbart-Smith +4 TC
Will Seargent TR +4

David James, unfortunately broke his rear axle at Mallory Park a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully will have it ready ?
Also I hear that Barry Sumner has kindly leant his Morgan to Kelvin Laidlaw to race, this will then make 19 four cylinder Morgans on the grid ! A brilliant entry and thank you to those of you who continue to support this race.

All being well, Christopher Lawrence has kindly agreed to come along and present the trophies and of course you will all have to eat my mother in-law's sandwiches and quiche, then wash it down with a bottle of beer !

Looking forward to seeing you all there,
Brian.
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

To confirm Kelvin is driving VMO and Leigh is driving NYF
BarryF
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Post by Brian Gateson »

Excellent news Barry, a great shame that you can't be there, but with your 'other' Morgan, this will make 20 x four cylinder Morgans on the grid !

Good luck at Snetterton.
Brian.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Finals arrived to-day. Morgan/AC/MG Race has 31 entries, 18 Mogs, 5 ACs and the rest MGT's and A's.

Race is on Saturday. Qualifying is at 10.45 and race at 15.55.....so nice lie in for a change.

The Morgans have been allocated space opposite pit garages 11A to 12E ie after the footbridge towards Copse.

I believe some are taking advantage of testing on the Friday - you can get scrutineered from 15.00 to 18.00. I will try and get there for scrutineering - who else plans to be there?

Looks like it's going to be a busy race!!!
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

Gents,

I have family descending en masse for the Silverstone weekend and I am on the hunt for any spare tickets, if there are such things to be found.

If any of you are running a line in boot-legged tickets your assistance would come in very handy.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few days.

Jonathon
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jonathon,

You are not the only one! I know Richard is after tickets too and I also have family and friends coming in support! I think they have been a bit mean with the tickets this year.Although I see they are listed as £8.00 on Silverstones website.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday - here's hoping for better weather!

Cheers

Mark
Mark Gilbart-Smith

Post by Mark Gilbart-Smith »

Looking at the entry list, may car was built in 1086 - the same day the Domesday book was completed! Surely I must qualify for some handicap?

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Mark
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

What a marvellous event the TT was. Many thanks are due, especially to Brian and all at Techniques. Personally I need to thank Barry for his generosity, Jan and James for helping with transport and Martin from Techniques for helping to sort out our unusual carburettor problem. VMO was great fun to drive! Thanks should also be extended to Kate and the BDC for another super championship race.

Kelvin

ps Think of poor Barry having to share only two cylinders with Jack, Mary and Rick for all of 24hrs.
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

So who won????

The 2CV race is being watched with a live radio commentary here in NZ on tinternet. Currently (after 6 hours racing) Mary and the boys are 19th place and have completed 183 laps.

Pits Webcam: http://www.2cvracing.co.uk/24hrlive

Live timing: http://www.tsl-timing.com/barc/LiveTimingTSL.html

Can we expect similar coverage of the Morgan TT next year :)

Cheers

Tim and Jane
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

G'Morn'n Tim & Jane,
How incredible! On the far side of the globe you know precisely how a 2CV race is going, but no news onthe TT. I ask you?

Keith Ahlers won just ahead of a fired up Richard Plant with Adrian Van Der Kroft third. Richard started from Pole but bogged down and had to fight past Billy B and Adrian to get to grips with Keith. He took the lead but was once again demoted to second, it was very close and after the race Richard said he could match Keith for speed, but Keith was to experienced to let him get past again. I could not get a result sheet, but I think Billy B was fourth. It was a great race with plenty of action down the field, and having Richard S-B and Chris Lawrence presenting the trophies added a lustre to the occasion. Mind you I'm not too sure about Brian's introductory remarks, he will have to polish his TECHNIQUE before next year. (private jibe). Tracy looked very glamourous and did a fine interview for a certain radio station after the event. As always the scoff was excellent and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
Keith also took the Morgan Challenge after a close fought battle with Ollly Bryant, before Olly's car threw a water pump belt. Chris Acklam won the Thoroughbred Sports race, which made up for his retiring from the Challenge, Tony Lees was second barely ahead of Simon O-G with John Emberson in fourth.
Andrew Potter 8th., Jonathon Edwards 10th. Ulrich 12th and Roger Whiteside 13th. Tony Lees took 6th ina PVT Handicap driving the Viper.
The sun shone all day and it was shorts for many, which displayed some fairly strange limbs to public gaze ... not a pretty sight.

Pictures to follow at usual site.

Kind regards,

Bob Ace Reporter.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Bravo Bob,

As usual a succinct and timely report of the Mad Men and their Mogs. I knew having an ace reporter such as yourself as part of the Morgan community would eventually come in useful.
Could you manage to commentate live for 24 hours of inane drivel? If so, i'm sure there is a place for you in the 2CV world as well.

Best regards
Tim and Jane
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Tim

What our professional reporter failed to mention was that Richard Plant took pole with a stunning time of under 1:12 - this was on a track covered in cement dust after the previous qualifiers had spread oil all around Woodcote. Richard's mega pole position obviously rattled Keith as he appeared on the grid with no windscreen or hardtop. TOK topless for the first time in ages!!

With the 1-2-3 as reported, Billy was (for me) a surprise 4th in the 4/4.... and a fantastic run by Jonathan R is his +4 left him close behind the top 4.

I had a good run in the SS fending off a recovering Simon OG in the SLR to finish 6th - it became very close with both cars locking up into Luffield 1.... a real oo err moment. The final sprint to the line was won by yours truely by a .05sec margin!! (good job the transponder wasn't positioned any further back).

Colin Pearcy had a great run from the back, once he had both Webers working. Coiln would have been a front runner if not for the problem in qualifying - he was a worthy recipient of a bottle of champers for the drive of the day.

Other notable drives were Kelvin in his loan car finishing 9th and Mark Shears 11th. Mogs blocked out the first 9 places from the AC's and MGs.

Retirements included David J who had spent the previous 2 days repairing an axle, really hard luck, and Mark Gilbert Smith who tore off his exhaust on a kerb. Will Sargeant also retired early on but we're yet to find out why.

My thanks also to Techniques for a smashing day and a really good display of propers +4s doing what they do best - proper racing!! the best collection yet of racing +4s in a very long time.