After The Techniques Trophy .....

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Following the success of the TT a small working group has been set up to organise a cycle race at next years BDC meeting. Apparently inspired by my own revelations concerning my past prowess as a to road racer, a number of forum members have taken up the challenge and are hell bent on proving their manhood on the track.

Number 1 on the start sheet will be Leigh Sebba, who has recently set a new world record for the ride from Lands End to John'O Groats, completing the distance in 10 days beating the previous best of nine days and four hours, and he has the T-Shirt to prove it. Such was his dedication that our hero did not even take time to shave during his travail.

Second spot goes to John 'Lycra Thighs' Emberson, who has been training over the Tour de France mountain stages, as this shot of his legs shows. He will be a shoe-in for the Polka Dot jersey.

Also in the running will be the grizzled veteran, Peter Rafter, another secret devote of the hard saddle, and owner of a lightweight racing cycle. In Yorkshire he is known as the 'Sheffield Shifter' and could well be the dark horse. Probably worth taking a flyer on, down at the bookies.

Those are the known contestants, however, your scribe has spotted a well known member of the Morgan fraternity out 'secret training' presumably in readiness for a stern challenge to the favourites. At this point in time he must remain anonymous, but one look at those pins shows he must be considered as a serious competitor. Frankly I suspect that we may have to introduce a dope test after seeing this picture.

No doubt as time goes by I will be able to expand on the list of possible entrants, meanwhile get out those rusting bikes from the shed and get pedalling, honour and glory and a pewter pot await you.

Finally the organisers are looking for a famous ex-cyclist, who is now far too old to take part, but might be willing to present the prizes. Any suggestions?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: After The Techniques Trophy .....

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Bob – knowing that anything on the internet becomes ‘the truth’ I must point out that although the organisation I went with (Bike Adventures) do offer a 10 day trip, that is for nutters, and I took the 15 day option which was quite exhausting enough.. Also – the record is about 44 hours

Interestingly, for the ride I bought a new bike with a frame by Bob Jackson – and by chance I met the boss of this Company at Cheltenham. He is a keen +8 owner.

I would point out that my cycling – much like my Morgan driving in the Techniques Trophy – is more of the touring style rather than racing.

I understand Jonathan Edwards (Morgan +8 Class C) is a 25 miles in the hour cyclist.

Also I think I recall Keith Ahlers going around the paddock on a fold-up bike, but somewhat more sedately than his track driving.

I trust you noted that Techniques neighbour Victoria Pendleton had signed the Morgan charity car – and I have photo of Tracy and her together with the Mog.

I believe there has been a Morgan bike race on the hills of Cadwell Park – organised by Andy Green. I was not there but I heard rumour of Ulrich bringing a hot piece of German machinery for the occasion (?)

Anyway – I look forward to you bringing your penny farthing out of retirement.

Leigh

PS It is true that I did not shave during my bike ride and thus incurred extra wind resistance. Perhaps that’s what also slows me in the Morgan.
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Leigh Sebba wrote:I believe there has been a Morgan bike race on the hills of Cadwell Park – organised by Andy Green. I was not there but I heard rumour of Ulrich bringing a hot piece of German machinery for the occasion (?)
The Cadwell Park cycle ride wasn't really supposed to be a race, Leigh, and as, last year, it took place after a gargantuan meal that included all the offerings for the curry competition, the reality was that it was more a feat of endurance than a gentle ramble up and down the Lincs hills.

I think Ulrich just brought his carbon-fibre training bike and probably didn't like to get out of the lower gears in case he left the rest of us toiling red-faced in his wake.

Cadwell is a bit hilly for a pre-prandial ride - Silverstone or Thruxton is a lot more civilised. That said, it is a good way to see the track close up (and a lot quicker than walking it).
Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote:and I took the 15 day option which was quite exhausting enough.. Also – the record is about 44 hours
Leigh,
That makes your record even more impressive, 15 days!! Some can only manage less than two, you say? Wimps!

It is good to see more names being thrown into the ring, and if Jonathon Edwards is indeed a 'sub hour man', I fear that we may already have our winner, my best was probably about 1hr.10 min. althought to be fair I was never in to Time Trials in a big way. (London based cyclists may not be suprised to hear that I could only manage a 1. 14 on the Southend Road).
I was rather suprised to hear that Ulrich might pose a threat, as he does not seem a likely specimen for cycling honours, not atall like Jan Ulrich a previous winner of the Tour de France, Oh! Is that the Ulrich Chris is referring to?

I think that we should not discount Keith as he is bound to be competetive, and probably owns an ex-Chris Lawrence lightweight bike as well.

Despite the foregoing I wonder if even the best of them will have to get used to this sight?

Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

probably intermittant interference on your hearing aid bob, but my reference to cycling was as a pimply youth-- however am happy to act as hon timekeeper
Chris' and Andy' s machines were i recall xtremely useful at thruxton, saved time walking the course adn minimised absence from the bar bq and drinks.

ps re cycling, beware the Baines tribe
peter
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

I aim at cyclist,,

they break wing mirrors ..
they scratch your car..
they dont stop..
they ride on the pavement..
they dont obey traffic signals..
they look siily in lycra..
they cant hear cos of the ipod..

Lets run them all over

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I don't like to be picky, but your poem doesn't rhyme!
peter rafter wrote:but my reference to cycling was as a pimply youth--
I know what I heard, you're in! It is pointless vacillating we need all the entrants we can get,pimply or not, still I am glad to hear that in the Baines clan we may heve several more racers to swell the ranks, I knew we could flush people out of the undergrowth with a little prompting. Keep informing on your fellow BOTG colleagues.

I suppose that if we do need to fill spaces on the grid we could always allow some 2CV competitors to enter, as they would clearly not be much competition for a half way decent cyclist, judging by the results from Snetterton anyway. Which reminds me I expect the tannoy was probably playing " I get misty just holding your hand ", or even 'Misty' by Neil Diamond during the race. Maybe " A Foggy Day in London Town", followed by "I Can See Clearly Now"

I think we may have another entrant considering taking part.

I'm sure you all know who this is.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

The woman has to be Linda Lusardi

jack
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Who? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Mary
You would have to be a Man in your Fifties to Know who She is

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I am sorry to have to admit that half of your posts are indecipherable, and the other half unintelligible, at least to me. I wonder if more experienced members of the forum grasp your meaning more readily?

I can not believe that you are inferring the recently knighted olympian cyclist resembles some ageing female pop star of your youth, or that you are able to identify her from the merest glimpse of the back of her head. Probaly neither, but as I say, I am not best positioned to interpret your intentions, as manifested in your reply to my original poser.

Anyway I trust that normal service has been resumed following your unfortunate, premature outrush at Snetterton last weekend, and that your good lady has managed to refurbish the damaged articles to your satisfaction. I do hope you are not still limp from the experience.

You know, we have had some discussion recently on 'Distinguished Lady Racing Drivers', perhaps we could start another equally fascinating thread on 'Extinguished Gentleman Racing Drivers'.

By the way do you own a bicycle?

Battersea Bob.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob of course I dont own a Bike !!
You asked the question of Who was in the picture !!?.. I simply replied (not to difficult to understand)
Are you telling me that you dont KNOW who Linda Lusardi is..
As to the Cyclist in diguise..He just someone else for me to aim at

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I was always out cycling, breaking wing mirrrors, scratching cars, riding on pavements so had no time for pop music. Miss Lusardi was a pop singer?

By the way I once rode from Barnet to Snetterton for meeting, then cycled up to Norwich to see a bird I knew, before riding home over night back to Barnet, all without the aid of an I-pod.

We was tough back then.

Also my Dad once hit a cat coming down Cat Hill and ended up in hospital, after that we knew where the road got it's name.

Memories, memories. Mind you I doubt if I could cycle down Cat Hill now let alone up it.

Sorry if I was rude about your posts, the're great really.

Your mate Bob.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob I cant believe you dont know who Linda Lusardi is .

she came from Palmers Green..I know thats a bit posh for you but you must have seen her on page 3

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I thought that a 'Linda Lusardi' was an Italian sports car, I am sure I recall a Gianni Belleringini winning the Milly Miglia in one back in the 1930's.

As to 'Palmers' Green was that not the colour a certain Dr. painted his cars a few years ago?

A bit posh? We wuz all posh where I cum frum.
Regards