Anti spam question: MSA

Race photos

Post by Chris Acklam »

Chris
Bob Bull

Re: Race photos

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris,
Thank you for posting the link to Brian's photo site, some very interesting shots and certainly varied, from Monaco to Rufforth!

I wonder how old the chap is, as even I was not around in 1905, and old enought to weild a camera as well!!!

For the purist I would point out that the car shown in the last shot in the 1905-64 section is not a 250F Maserati, but an earlier model from the 2.0 litre, 1952/53 era, although possible re-engined with the 2500cc F1 unit for 1954.

happy days,

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

What a wonderful set of photos. I think I may have been at some of the mid to late 60s Croft and Oulton Park meetings pictured.

I also visited Rufforth, a temporary "oil drums & straw bales" airfield track west of York which hosted one or two meetings a year though my visits were later than those depicted. I have memories of a fearsome Special called the Kin Kraft which used to paste everybody at Croft and Rufforth in the then popular Formula Libre races when literally anything could enter. Sadly the airfiel has now been split into two with the central area under agricultural use so there will be no more racing there.

Happy days indeed.

With regard to the Maserati photo, Bob Bull is correct. It is of one of the 1952/53 2 litre Formula 2 A6GCM cars from which the 250 F was developed. However the tyres look a little wide to be contemporary to that period so, as Bob suggests, it may be a later development with the 2.5 litre engine installed. Apologies for donning the Anorak. All facts gleened from the excellent 1975 book on the 250 F by Denis Jenkinson, surely the finest Motor Racing journalist ever.

Dave McDonald
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Denis Jenkinson, surely the finest Motor Racing journalist ever.
What about "our Bob" - Surely he ranks alongside Jenks :-)
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

I have never met Bob, I don't know how often he visits the tracks but he never deigns to speak to we mere Triumph drivers.
However, the impression that I have formed of him from his prolific, sometimes acerbic, comments on this site I think he would make an ideal companion to Jenks on one of his famous photos with him holding a huge 8 cylinder Brooklands Duesenberg crankshaft which was entitled "2 cranks together." Bob could easily supplement the numbers.

Dave McDonald
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Tim Hill wrote:What about "our Bob" - Surely he ranks alongside Jenks
Tim,
Modesty forbids me to make any comment, but I thank you for your support. I grew up with Jenks' reports in Motor Sport, and I can only boast that I believe we both had/have a deep and abiding love of the sport, it is never just about journalism, which you can not say about many of todays 'hacks'.

Some years ago Doug Marr restored a Maserati V8 R1from the pre war period, and raced it for the first time at a VSCC Silverstone in 1989.I attended the meeting and took several photos of the car in action, copies of which I sent (unsolicited) to Doug.In March 1990 Jenks wrote an article in Motor Sport about the cars and included much about Doug's restortation of 4503 and included several pictures, one of which, to my suprise was mine!!
There was no credit given, but what the heck, a Bob Bull photograph in an article by the great man!! Wow!! Later that year I approached Jenks in the car park at Silverstone where he was talking to Peter Scott-Russell, who was showing off his new Honda, one of the Ayrton Senna 3.0 litre models and boasting abouts it specification and performance. I commented that it was still just a 'Jap Car' and Jenks agreed, rather taking the wind out of Peter's sails. I then thanked Dennis for using my picture and he apologised for not giving it credit and explained that he had asked Doug Marr if he had any photos of the car in action, and of course he had, mine!!
So! I would not put myself on the same level as Dennis Jenkinson, but we did at least share an opinion of Honda's.
Dave McDonald wrote:I have never met Bob, I don't know how often he visits the tracks but he never deigns to speak to we mere Triumph drivers.
Dave,
I am sorry that your life is incomplete, not having met Bob Bull, maybe that is a 'pleasure' you have still to experience, however, I must take issue with your comment viv a vis Triumph drivers. Ask Neil Howe and he can tell you that he has been a frequent guest of BBC Three Counties Radio.
The secret is not what you drive, but where you reside.
As to my frequent interventions into this forum, well that is just because they tolerate me, should there be a similar debating chamber for Triumphs I would certainly interfere given half a chance. The more people I can insult and deride the better I like it, although I would like to know if Triumph drivers are sensitive souls, lacking a sense of humour, or are particularly thick skinned, as I hate having to apologise or to see my barbs failing to pierce my victims egos.

Am I aserbic? Well being called a 'crank' might cause less balanced types to flare up and return insult for insult, however, I can rise above such things.

[
Dave McDonald wrote:I don't know how often he visits the tracks
Most weekends, but almost only Silverstone, although I shall be at Goodwood for the Revival.

I shall scour race programmes for mention of your name and seek you out should the chance arrive, until then you can always make 'virtual contact' via this site.

Kind regards,

Bob Bull
Regards
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

Bob
I look forward to making your aquaintance. I have had my two races at Silverstone for this year but will also be at the Goodwood Revival meeting.
Next races, Cadwell Park Swinging 60s this Sunday, Snetterton Thoroughbreds Oct 3rd and Snetterton Swinging 60s Oct 18th.

Dave McD
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Dave,
I have noted your name in the BDC programme, but unfortunately despite my prolific snapping I do not appear to have captured your image in action, there are, however, a number of Triumph pics on my site from the meeting
Regarding the Revival, I would be delighted to shake your hand sometime over the weekend.* Will you be spectator, competitor, support, official, media?
I will pm my mobile and you could give me a call as I shall be there all three days. That is if you really do want to meet (the aserbic) Bob Bull.

I remember the Kin Kraft, wasn't it one of the early F5000 cars? I am afraid I never made it to Rufforth as it was just a little to far to cycle even for aa ace like me.

Bob

* Indeed anyone else who may be there.
Regards
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

Bob
Just a spectator at Goodwood. There will be three of we Triumph racers together.
Dave McD
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

OK, Dave,
That's all sorted, but who else from this forum may be there over the weekend apart from those competing?

Anyone going to be swanning around in trilby and dirty mac? And that's just the ladies.

Bob Second from Left.

Last edited by Bob Bull on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Bob Bull wrote:OK, Dave,
That's all sorted, but who else from this forum may be there over the weekend apart from those competing?
Anyone going to be swanning around in trilby and dirty mac? And that's just the ladies.
Sadly, I'll miss the spectacle of Bob in period clothes (is there a noticeable difference, some might wonder...) as I will be swanning around in Angoulême (sans trilby and dirty mac), watching Tony and others negotiate the 'remparts'.
Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris,
I sincerely hope that you are not going all continental to avoid having embarrassing photos taken of your legs.[

quote="Chris Acklam"]is there a noticeable difference, some might wonder...) [/quote]

Oh! You know me too well!!!!

Zut alors, Bon Chance Mes ami, Morgans, Avanti!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

chris, whilst you watch tony circumnavigate the "remparts", others may be chassying around the "ramparts"
have you got a map?
peter
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

peter rafter wrote:chris, whilst you watch tony circumnavigate the "remparts", others may be chassying around the "ramparts"
have you got a map?
http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com
Chris
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

touche
a tantot
(sans accent)
peter