Morgans at Goodwood Revival 18-20 Sept 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Morgans at Goodwood Revival 18-20 Sept 2009

Post by John Clarke »

Taken from Keith Ahlers post under the Morgan Challenge section:-

I'm racing TOK in the Fordwater Trophy on Saturday along with Morgan Plus4s raced by John Emberson and Knut Hallam.

I'm also sharing Chris Phillips' Lola Mk1 on Saturday and racing my Cooper on Sunday.

John Clarke is racing his 4-4 Le Mans on Sunday in the Brooklands Trophy.

All cars will be qualifying on Friday. Peter Horsman in his Lotus 17 and other drivers who cut there teeth on Morgans are also racing.

The timetable is:

Saturday - Racing from 10.00am

Goodwood trophy - GP '30-'50
Madgwick Cup - Sports racers '48-'55
Barry Sheene Trophy - bikes
St Mary's Trophy - minis
Lavant Cup - TT sports cars '58-'59
Glover Trophy - GP '61-'65
Fordwater Trophy - sports cars '60-'66 MORGAN +4s

Sunday - Racing from 10.00am

Brooklands Trophy - sports cars pre '39 Morgan 4-4
Richmond Trophy - GP '50-'60
Barry Sheene Trophy - bikes
St Mary's Trophy - minis
RAC TT - GT cars '60 - '64
Freddie March Trophy - sports cars '52-'55
Chichester Cup - FJ '58-'60
Whitsun Trophy - sports racers '63-'66

Please come and say hello to all the 4 cylinder guys if you're attending
Bob Bull

Re: Morgans at Goodwood Revival 18-20 Sept 2009

Post by Bob Bull »

John,
I shall look forward to seeing you all at the Revival and watching closely your efforts on track.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Wonderful Goodwood - all the Mogs performed faultlessly and I think I can speak for all, we had a fantastic time.

The weather was glorious, the crowds all in their 50's best and overhead we were treated to a fantastic air display of Spitfires,oh, and the Vulcan bomber - wow.

Morgan folk were numerous - too many to list. The factory even had a display near the Earles Court Motor Show recreation where a chassis was being 'dressed' and the factory +4+ was on display together with Melvyn's +4+ body shell. A three wheeler took part in the Stirling Moss 80th Birthday celebration tour of the track - being a car that Stirling owned in his youth. I'm not sure if it was the actual one but someone can confirm/deny it.

As for the racing, the results are here http://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/content/ ... 6cb9192eb3

In the Fordwater Trophy, Keith, John E and Knut Hallam were racing their +4s. Keith had qualified an impressive 4th and from the off had the bit between his teeth. He took TOK into second place behind the TVR before having a moment and loosing ground. Keith can explain what happened. He then finished a comfortable 3rd behind the TVR and Healey 3000.
John finished a commendable 13th with Knut 25th from 30 cars. A great result for all although Rick finished 2nd in TOK in the same race a few years earlier - but that's between Keith and Rick to sort out bragging rights. =D>

I was out in the Brooklands Trophy in the 4-4. I was squashed by the pit wall and was badly baulked at the start by an Alfa Monza. Still, there are few nicer cars to get baulked by!!!. I then had a wonderful race despatching the Talbot 90 and then the Talbot AV105. The latter was going through the speed traps 10mph faster than the Mog but we were so much faster under braking and through the corners. It meant that we swopped places twice a lap for 6 laps before I was able to create a gap sufficiently large to get to the final corner first. For the record, I finished 20th from 29 cars. Nick Mason won in his Le Mans Aston.

Now to give you an idea how fast Goodwood is, TOK fnished the race at an ave of 88.67mph with a fastest lap of about 90mph. The 4-4 completed its race at an ave of 69mph with a best lap of 71mph.

The great thing about Goodwood is that it is the same as it was in the 50's. You can therefore compare your lap time with historic times. I can't talk for TOK, but in 1950, Jeff Sparrowe in JOU 177 was beaten by Mike Hawthorne in his Riley who recorded the fastest lap of 2.07secs. Mike would have finished behind the two Talbots but ahead of the MG J4 in the Revival. Now where would have Chris Lawrence finished......anyone???

Fantastic event, great racing - I can't imagine how we were all invited - but wow....double wow :shock:
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

ITV4 are showing highlights on Tuesday 29th Sept 20.00pm
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Photographic evidence of John's achievements will soon be posted on the usual site along with all the other Morgans plus Morgan drivers in other cars.

Wonderful weekend.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Sorry to have missed it but I was enjoying (?) the rain at Angouleme. First time there - local Mog owner Lyn Peek had organised a parade of 20 Mogs from 3 wheelers to Aeromax and I had my +4+ (4 cylinders so relevant to topic heading). Amazing narrow track in City Centre.

Tony Lees was racing his Viper - the commentator loved it but unfortunately he (Tony , not the commentator) got a bit over enthusiastic in the race.

Leigh
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

It was a great day as a spectator so I can only imagine how good it was as a competitor. Well done John and a great report. Also great photos Bob - I didn't see you on Sunday!!! There seemed to be more people this year than any other.

Do tell us more Leigh. What happened to the intrepid Viper pilote? Don't keep us in suspenders...

Well done to all Goodwood Morganistes.

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

John,
As I know you only ever look at this particular section of the forum, I would advise that pictures from the Revival may be viewed by clicking on the link below.

I must thank you for taking the time to talk to Three Counties Radio - it justified my presence there.

Question for Jonno; Where did you get that hat, where did you get that tile? (Old music hall song, for the younger member)

Mark,
I am glad you liked the pictures - did you find time to wade throught those on the 'general motor racing' site? If so you can not be very busy. Sorry to have missed you in the crowd, but perhaps at the HSCC Finals?

Regards,

Bob
Regards
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Some great shots Bob - as for the hat - it was a Bugsy Malone relic!!!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Yes, love the hat Jonno!

Still ploughing through all the photos Bob!

See you all at Silverstone at the HSCC Finals Meeting - should be a good turnout of Plus Fours and I think the odd Plus Eight!

Cheers,

Mark