Club Sprint - September 2005

Races, track days, testing ...
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Club Sprint - September 2005

Post by Phil Egginton »

We have the possibility to move the club sprint at Curborough from it's current date of 9th September (which clashes with a race series date) to the following weekend on 16th September.

If we did so how many of the 'racers' would we likely 'recruit' to come along and have a go?
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

I would,last competed in 2004

very difficult but great fun
Richard Smith

curborough sprint

Post by Richard Smith »

If we get some of 'the big boys' there, could we nominate them to drive for us? ....sorry; girls of course included!
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

It doesn't help this year, but I suspect that you'd get more racers at the club sprint if it was held on a track (like Castle Combe or Goodwood). The year the first club race day was held at Lydden had the sprints in the morning and got most of the racers out competing as well.
I only did one or two sprints but I remember without much affection the straw bales, stone walls, trees and grass at Cornbury Park (I think it was) in the pouring rain. Met some nice people while waiting though.
Paul Burry

Post by Paul Burry »

I would hope to make it - might even have a car by then !
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I suspect that you'd get more racers at the club sprint if it was held on a track (like Castle Combe or Goodwood)
I agree Chris. I am not a very precise driver, as most speed event drivers are, and I need a fair bit of room to recover from exuberance so a circuit suits me best. Of the few speed events that I have done I can remember encounters with straw bales and stone walls.

Having said all that, the MSCC and Curborough go back a very long way and it is the traditional venue for the club sprint.

I plan to have a go at Curborough in 2006 so stand well clear when it's my turn! :shock:
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Where is Curborough?
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Just north east of Lichfield,close to the A38
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

No stone walls there Chris as far as I can remember although I do recall a heart-stopping moment as I got it completely wrong and careered off onto the wet grass. :shock:
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Looks likely that this will go ahead and change date.

We are also looking at an Intro to Sprinting Day at the same venue on (wait for it).....1st April!!!!
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Hi Phil,
Keen to have a go at Curborough next year and I hope to beat Jen's time from this year when she drove the black car ;-)
Cheers, Tony
Paul Burry

Post by Paul Burry »

Tony

You also have to do it in the torrential rain whilst simultaneously looking after 2 kids !!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Jen is a star, that's why I married her!
Let's hope the sun shines next year :-)
Seasonal Felicitations to one and all.
Nigel Ingram

Post by Nigel Ingram »

Phil, As a fellow member of the Shenstone club you do realise that you may be called upon to be an instructor on the intro day, having done a few of these I can highly recommend you don't go any where near the next batch of Formula 1 wanabe's

From memory this means:
Some total maniac driving a Morgan slighly outside it's design envelope whilst using the wrong lines and way too much throttle in a vein attempt to impress you (& his/her freinds), this of course you witness at close quarters from the passenger seat of the afformentioned nutter. :roll:

I, myself now just take a video camera and wait near the straw bales/stone wall as I ponder what I can spend the inevitable £250 on.
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Being a fan of the original Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy perhaps I need some of those sunglasses that Zaphod had - they turn instantly black at the mearest hint of danger :shock:
Phil Egginton