Tyres (Avon CR6ZZ)

Technical queries or suggestions
Jim Mountain

Tyres (Avon CR6ZZ)

Post by Jim Mountain »

For racing how much tread (if any) do I need to pass scrutineering ?, do they need to be road legal with min 1.6mm of tread across the center 3/4 of the tyre or can I run the almost bald ones I already have ? can't seem to find anything in the regs.

And anyone running CR6ZZ's, the center, straight groove that runs about 3 mm deeper than the rest is that the minium wear marker ?, has anybody run the CR6ZZ "sport" as I'm guessing there too soft to race with.

Jim
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: Tyres (Avon CR6ZZ)

Post by jack bellinger »

Jim CRZZ sport are a bit to soft they start to fall apart in chunks around the edge a bit quick especially if you get them hot
The scutes dont like to see that I remember once they wanted to stop Peter H from going out

we tend to stick stick to the std ones
As to how low they will let you go out on is really in the lap of the gods (or scrutes) .Some people have thier tyres scrubed to about 5mm. and stop racing on them when they are bald . Cos I drive to the circuit I have to be legal . but they are better when they are low and nearly bald..
I personally dont scrub mine I wait until they are a bit low on the outer few grooves and then have them turned on the rims
this makes the practice and first couple of laps in the race a bit hairy until they bed in .

David James once came in at mallory with about 4" sq lump off of the tread down to the canvas which was pretty scary cos he went out with them to low at the start.
Your driving style will have alot to do with then way these tyres wear

If your not to sure on what to do It will probably be better to start off with a new set and learn .. then if your happy put back the low ones when you know more about how you wear them

Hope this helps ??
Welcome to Racing

jack

My personal opinion is that these are a great tyre and make my car so predictable WET or Dry they are just not cheap
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Thank you Jack
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Hi Jim
Adding to what Jack has said, they are a great tyre, but a bit expensive!

When they are new and you drive them aggressively they do tend to chunk at the edges and roll the tread which does shorten the life. As Jack says you can turn them to get more life out of then, but personally I don’t like racing on new full tread tyres, I have never shaved any so I don’t know how that route works but as an observation those that are shaved do tend to wear more predictably which I suspect makes then more predictable to drive on ~ something Jack ~ would never notice!

The best route I have found is to use some that have been used on the road for 6 to 12 months and worn down a bit, and been subjected to varying heat cycles, these then appear quite stable and wear well when subjected to track use.

For wet weather then the newer the better as the rubber is still soft.

The David James incident, that Jack referred to was when he started with then just about bald, i.e. almost no visible tread pattern ~ so that was pushing them to far.

As Jack says you probably need to experiment a bit and find out how the car feels, once you get a feel for them you will find them ever so predictable.

Look forward to seeing you on the start line.

Barry
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Thanks Barry,

looks like I'm buying the old man a pair of new tyres for the +4 so I can have his part worn ones !

Jim
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim, Jack and Barry,

I note Jim you said you were going to buy the old man a pair of new tyres!

Question: if you are going to fit two new Avons to the car and keep a pair of part worns on, do you fit the new tyres on the front-or on the rear?

Cheers

Mark