Robert Couch, Morgan Restorer

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Hermen Pol
Anti spam question: MSA

Robert Couch, Morgan Restorer

Post by Hermen Pol »

Not all of you might be yet aware that this man, who achieved a lot of things in the Morgan scene, is no longer among us. He passed away yesterday, due to a brain tumor.
I devoted a page to him on my website http://morganhistoryinfo.services.officelive.com under the heading Morgan personalities.

He got known -among other things- for restoring the 4/4 TT Replica CAB 652, which recently returned to England.

God have his soul.
wpcouch
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Robert Couch, Morgan Restorer

Post by wpcouch »

Greetings. My name is Wil Couch, and Robert Couch is my father.

Herman, I want to thank you for the page you have created about my father. It is very touching to see that he had such a worldwide impact within not only the international Morgan family, but with automotive history in general. All from a small shop in a tiny town in upstate NY!

As a child, especially one deeply in love with cars, it was my own personal heaven growing up around such amazing works of art and pieces of history. Dad's shop was connected to our house, so I literally lived with these beautiful cars. Over the years I was fortunate enough to see, be around, work on, and even (don't tell the owners!) drive many cars that most people normally only see in magazines, including the ever significant CAB 652!

Over the past 5 years Dad has been fighting with several severe bouts of brain cancer. The first, in 2006, resulted with extensive surgery and the removal of a fist-sized tumor from his right frontal lobe. He made a miraculous recovery and lived another 3 full and healthy years, even continuing to work on Morgans and attending events. The most recent tumor, however, was his undoing.

He passed comfortably on Saturday, June 5th at apprx. 2:10 in the morning. He had many friends and family with and nearby. Although his life was rather short, at just under 60 years, I believe he lived every single day to the fullest. I've been telling friends that he lived 90 years in only 60! He was working on Morgans right up to the end, in fact, even today, there is a bare Morgan frame on lifts in his shop waiting to have his structural frame braces welded on.

Herman, you may be interested to know that my father's business partner from the 70's Phil Rosette is still around and involved to some capacity at Lime Rock Park race track in Connecticut. Their business, Racing International, was a simple arrangement. My father was stationed in London and would find collectible cars that were popular here in the states. He would try to find cars in need of repair at minimal cost. He would do the repairs himself, ship the car (typically Mini Coopers) stateside where Phil would sell it for profit. They built quite a reputation and were quickly sought out by US collectors, which is how they came to meet Jack Artley, the eventual owner of CAB 652. Dad actually found CAB 652 in a small dusty barn behind a local pub!

Thank you again for the kind words about my father.