New to racing early plus 4

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Sean Horwood
Anti spam question: MSA

New to racing early plus 4

Post by Sean Horwood »

Hello!

Some of you may know me as a Roadster pilot, slogging my way around at the back of the pack in the Morgan Challenge.

One of the reasons I took up racing in the challenge is that I really wanted to race historic sports cars (I know a Roadster doesn't quite hit the spot there) within a friendly environment - none of your overly aggressive F1 or BTCC wannabes running you off the track (if there are any racing with us they hide it well!).

I'm now in the fortunate position of also owning a 1954 Plus 4, which is prepped to race (2 litre TR2 lump and disc front brakes). Can anyone give any advice on suitable championships/races that I could enter, with other Morgans and cars of similar performance? I've had a good look at the CSCC (and even joined) but didn't want to be stuck out with lightweight E-types and the like (it's bad enough being lapped by Groups A, B, and R in the 'challange!).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sean Horwood
Blue & Silver Roadster (I know) number 27 :)
Jim Mountain

Re: New to racing early plus 4

Post by Jim Mountain »

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Sean

Welcome to the heady world of +4 racing.

I'm pleased you enjoyed racing with the Challenge boys and girls - we all look back at the Challenge with misty eyes, friendly folk, fair racing and always someone to help you out.

I would recommend starting off with 60's roadsports with the HSCC with your early +4. The races are a similar length to the Challenge series but you will be introduced to some inter marque rivalry. There are a number of +4s racing in the Series (when they can) so you will not be alone. The fees are also similar to challenge costs. A good +4 can race near the front but will always be beaten by the odd +8 and Lotus Elan.

If your car survives - then try some of the longer races. For this you will need FIA papers and an FIA spec car (Hard top etc). The HSCC runs the Guards trophy (Mark Hoble competes in this) - these are about 1 hour and are still at UK circuits.

The next step, as Jim mentions, is the Masters Series Gentlemen Drivers and the Vanessa Marcais Sports and GT Cup. Both series are quite expensive but they do visit some of the best circuits in Europe. Again they are at least 1 hour races. You would also be eligible for the pre '63 race series and Duncan Wiltshires Stirling Moss trophy. Check out the regs though.

The final step is to race at Spa in the 6 hours and at the Le Mans Classic. Both require much planning and an 'in' to gain an entry.

The world really is your oyster with such a fantastic car but be prepared - it gets harder on car, wallet and family the further you venture!!!

Good luck

john
Sean Horwood

Post by Sean Horwood »

Thanks Guys,

It looks like a toe dip into the HSCC for starters - watch this space!

Sean
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Sean- I assume you've entered your Plus 4 in the TT Race at BDC as well?

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Sean Horwood

Post by Sean Horwood »

I will do shortly - hope this will be my first outing providing I can get her ready for scrutineering in time...
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Sean,

I echo John Clarkes sentiments as I race my 1961 black Plus 4 with the HSCC. Like you I was an absolute beginner a few years ago but started historic racing in my rebuilt Plus 4 with the HSCC as looking round and talking to people they seemed to offer competitive and good value racing with a friendly and non-contact sport ethos.

This has proved to be the case and I have met many like-minded,enthusiastic competitors (and organisers) and of course fellow Morgan Plus 4 racers.They organise some great races at great race circuits (including this Mays Silverstone International Trophy on the Historic Grand Prix circuit and the forthcoming Silverstone Classic.)

I haven't sampled any of the CSCC events but I understand their new for this seasons Appendix K series (for cars with FIA HTP papers) is proving popular. I think they also venture abroad but then so do the HSCC - including Spa and also this October Dijon.

Talking of racing abroad, I competed at Le Mans this time last year on the Bugatti Circuit with Equipe GTS (fantastic!) and your car would be eligible for this series. They too compete at all the UK circuits like the HSCC and I am sure their friendly and characterful French organiser Christophe Wilmart would welcome you being 'a proper Chap'!(ie anyone who races a Morgan!)

I too will be at BDC Silverstone so come up to me and we will have a chin wag!

Cheers

Mark