Donington

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Re: Donington

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote:Is there a danger of Bob Bull doing the same ?
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Leigh,
My complete contempt for 'soccer' is well understood by listeners to Three Counties ("I don't even know which end of a football you hit with a stick"), however, I will confess to you, but not for general dissemination, that I was once conned into attending a match at Barnet FC. As a rather naive and gullible school boy (what's changed ? Well other than the 'boy'), I along with the whole school was advised by the headmaster that a really special match was being played and that everyone should go along at support the team. Muggins went along and witnessed Barnet FC playing a Met Police team!!!
My only memory of this momentous occasion was the Met Plod goalie being carted off after being struck in the stomach by a ball. What a shame!

This is my sole experience of the 'beautiful game'. This historic event would have been about 1950 too early to have met you there I suppose, however, I expect you remember the local bully boys, the Darcys?

Sadly I cannot at this time recall if I attended the re-opening of Donington, but I certainly went there quite a lot in the 70's 80's and even the 90's.

Please be assured that should I see you at the 'revival meeting' I will most certainly nod at you.

I must stress that the foregoing is of a most confidential nature as should it get into the public domain my reputation as a serious motor sport editor, could be jeoparidised. I know I can rely on your disgression in this matter.

Fan Boy Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob .... Where were YOU..?
You missed the Grand Opening..
There were Crowds .. People Shouting ..Waving ..Clapping (Free beer in the Masters tent ) The noise and the smell of the cars . And the best thing of all was Leigh won a POT ( steering wheel actually) the cheering was deafening ..
And that Cheeky little smile as Leigh collected it was.. tear jerking

jack
well done the Mogs for sweeping the Board
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
Donington is a long way from Luton, and in these hard times, and due to severly straightened circumstances*, I was not able to attend the the re-opening of Donington, but I am pleased to hear that Morgan drives, once again excelled.
Congratulations to Leigh on his triumph, do you have any detail on this momentous event?

Are there any notable achievements achieved by drivers local to the Three Counties, (we can stretch to East Barnet if necessary) that should be noted on air?

Bob

* Mainly opposition form 'er indoors, if I spend too much time away from the back lawn.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I don’t think Derby is in the 3 counties so Bob is excused.

Thank you for those kind words Jack and I was pleased to be representing the Morgan grid from July 1977 Donington Morgan race, particularly with the ‘special guest’ entry fee :) , the free meals (and beer), the free champagne tour of the Donington Collection with Kevin Wheatcroft, the Richard Plant BBQs, the Chas supervision on my brakes, and the rain holding off until the end of our races.

There were two races which were supposed to recreate the style of the races in the 1970s. Well I do recall racing with a mixture of cars – but not the full race saloons that headed our races – two ferocious BMW ‘Batmobiles’. In Race 1 the Roger Wills car did 18 laps and ran out of fuel so did not finish. whereas I did 17 laps and finished the race. This meant that in Race 2 he was just behind me on the grid – I let him pass me well before Redgate !

Other entries included a Capri driver I spoke to who had done the Willhire 24 hours races, and I had a good race with a Pantera driver who was doing only his third race – quick in a straight line.

Morgan were represented by Tony Lees (yellow peril) Richar Plant (Moss Box) and myself, and also Chas Windridge in fast, smelly and noisy Mazda RX3 and Andy Green in Dolomite Sprint. Chas went well in both races, and Andy managed to finish the second race – the first finish for him in this car – well done Andy. Also Bryants in a Capri finished well up – as they did in lots of races that weekend – particularly when Olly was driving.

For those who do Thoroughbreds Roy McCarthy (who had raced at Don in 1977) battled his illness to come out and race his hot MGB

When it came to awards the 3 Mogs finished both races and got three Class awards (Tony, RP, and me) so I even went home with a free trophy. And the adoring crowds were there to see my cheeky little smile (?) – probably cos the crowds (Bellinger family and general Orebi Gann and Ahlers support teams) were eating their free lunch prior to seeing these two (and RP / Tony) go out for 2 hour ‘gentlemen drivers’ sports car race.

Unfortunately I couldn’t stay for that race and I cant find any results – but I do know that RP / Tony did finish and Tony has now enjoyed driving a real Morgan (ie a 1960s +4)

Anyway I am open to another invitation if Donington reopens again in anther 33 years time.

And, looking forward to Snett in October (sorry cant do Cadwell)

Leigh
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Free beer, free entry - must be like having a bus pass...
"Tony has now enjoyed driving a real Morgan (ie a 1960s +4)"
Yes I did - thank you very much Richard for the wonderful opportunity.
Only another 10 years driving on historic tyres and I will be "on the pace" :roll: