Basket case +4 Wanted

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
Robin Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Basket case +4 Wanted

Post by Robin Singleton »

Does anyone know of a basket case +4 for sale. Intention is to build a lightweight fast +4, a supersports replica for competition.
Happy to carry out total rebuild.

Robin Singleton
Mark Shears

Re: Basket case +4 Wanted

Post by Mark Shears »

Well I suppose there is no harm in wishing for what would be rocking horse droppings so if you get offered two will you let me have one!

Cheers,

Mark

PS. There was a 1958 Plus 4 barn find sold at auction only last month in Hereford. Almost exactly as you described Robin!
GeorgeMartin

Post by GeorgeMartin »

I went to the said auction in Hereford, The car seemed a real basket case and I was still out bid. (some chap just kept his arm aloft until he won :evil: )There seems to be a few people hunting for these cars so if you get offered 3! Please bare me in mind as well.
You can live in your car, but you can't race your house!
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Hi George,
How much did it go for?
Tim.
GeorgeMartin

Post by GeorgeMartin »

Hi Tim,

The Barn find +4 4 seater sold for £11700 + premium, the estimate was £8000-10000 (those i chatted to thought it would go for nearer the 8k mark) I was gutted but the buyer seemed more determined than me! At least loosing out means my wedding is still on :)
You can live in your car, but you can't race your house!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Interesting...

I offered the vendor £8000 for it in 1992! He was asking £8750 and refused to budge. It was a shed then! Phil Tisdall and I drove it along the long track to his house in the middle of the Cotswold countryside only to find it had no brakes!

Looking at the pictures on the auction house website it has not moved from where I left it 18 years ago!

Cheers

Mark

PS. We all missed an early sixties Plus Four 4 seater that needed rebuilding that was offered for sale by Linda Eckler at Morgan Spares in New York State a couple of months ago. It sold on ebay for around $5500!!!
Robin Singleton

Post by Robin Singleton »

Mark

I missed the US (?) one as well, but of course it would have cost to get it over here.

The valuation of basket case cars seems to be more like £10-12k now whereas a year or two ago they were in the region of £6-8k, and thats for an ordinary 2 or 4 seater +4.

However the search is still on and has produced two or three long term possibilities.

Robin

PS I saw your new red car at Silverstone.....looked very nice and from our viewing point at the outside of the 1st bend seemed to go very well. [img][img][/img][/img] Didnt manage to see you to have a quick word!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Thanks Robin - sorry not to have had a chance to speak to you at BDC Silverstone. It was the first major event for the red car and she acquitted herself very well.

If you have a possibility become a probability and you are already fully committed let me know. Phil Tisdall and I will be looking for something else to keep us occupied now the red car is up and running!

Keep in touch,

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Now, if it were tennis rackets .......................................!!!
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Be it basketcases or tennis rackets, probabilities or possibilities, people must always remember family come first.
Sorry (or am I) that everyone has just dropped one place down the queue !!!!
Let's hope he can find 4 basketcases now !!!!

The Bruv (brother).
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

I think one of Andy Garlicks posts mentioned this car, SDW 287:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/show ... php?t=5235

I wonder if it is restored yet?

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

I know Mike Anthony in the US (California) has a basket case +4 Baby Doll car, ready to be restored.

Exactly the same car as mine that he restored. Also all aluminium body, wings and bonnet. High line car.

However he will restore to customer's required specs, rather than selling it as is. But it is worth it, he is a genius when it comes to restoring Morgans. You could have him restore the car as a rolling chassis and body, to be finished in the UK? Happy to supply contact details and references off line.

Best regards, Jochem
Andy Garlick

Post by Andy Garlick »

John (and others)
This car is still awaiting its rebuild. The owner is the son of my late friend, Ron Brown. It is a 1959 high line car and was competed from its very early days by first owner Hugh Wilmore , who appears in the same racing programme as one Christopher Lawrence.
I am helping do some chassis work (setting up the frame front in the chassis) as the rebuild starts to gather momentum.
If the owner ever decides that he does not want to carry on with the rebuild I will let you all know, but for now at least the trail is cold on this one.
Andy
Mogman
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Thank you for letting us all know Andy.

Perhaps we should start a register or at least on these pages a listing of historic 4 cylinder cars that are being rebuilt, have just been rebuilt or have an intention of being rebuilt at some time in the future!

Just a thought as an old chum of mine is rebuilding (slowly) a barn find 1958 Plus 4 two seater with his son that they were alerted to in deepest Oxfordshire last year. (Another one I missed!)

Cheers

Mark
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Well, I will start then, for those of you interested. Today I picked up my 1964 +4 race car after almost a year in my posession.

I will race it next year in the Dutch historic GT series, but hopefully also at the TT.

It is #5719, originally a high line +4 that was sold by Lew Spencer in California. Raced since it was new. In 1966 it won the national US Championship E Production class (and in 1965 it came 2nd). After a crash in 1969 it was totalled. In the early seventies the car was built up from scratch as a low line SS Spec car. New chassis, new woodwork, alloy panels etc, so not too many original parts remain I am afraid.

The car was put away in a garage until the early eighties and only came out for concours events. Then in 1984 the Blackhawk museum acquired the car. Sold to private hands in 1989 and race prepared by Chris Lawrence who had his LT company in California at the time. Raced ever since, during the last 12 years by Doug Sallen.

For a sneak preview see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMeYP5yXB-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4chghqH6QMk

A big thank you to all of you who helped out with advice, ideas or even parts! Hope to see you on the track!

Jochem Kentgens