Changes to FIA Appendix K reg's as from Jan 1st 2012

Races, track days, testing ...
Roddie Feilden
Anti spam question: MSA

Changes to FIA Appendix K reg's as from Jan 1st 2012

Post by Roddie Feilden »

If you are not already aware, the latest revisions to Appendix K were published on Jan 1st. The complete Appendix K document can be read online and/or downloaded as a pdf from the FIA website (http://www.fia.com ) Latest changes are highlighted by red colured text.

The major revision has been with regard to roll bars / cages, with it now being mandatory for vehicles of age Period F and later to have a full 6 point cage, as per drawing K50 in App K .

I have been in touch with one or two people about this, because it appears as though most scrutineers and indeed the MSA are really not up to speed at all with this.
As it stands, my moss box +8 roll over hoop is now no longer legal. Unless of course someone knows better...but my guess is that a complete ROPS design will have to be approved by the MSA/FIA and certified , if a fitment of a conventional 6 point cage is proved impossible......
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Re: Changes to FIA Appendix K reg's as from Jan 1st 2012

Post by Andy Green »

Just to clarify this new FIA reg requiring a full cage applies to all Morgans,so App K(so called Historics) and App J (post 1971)

BUT FOR FIA APPROVED INTERNATIONAL EVENTS ONLY(in theory--lets see what actually happens)

The Morgan Challenge as a National series runs to the MSA blue book,in the 2012 blue book the single roll bar/hoop is allowed

And it was rather well tested in 2011 at the Silverstone Classic !

So dont panic
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Does this development also affect the Assen event in July and the possibility of Morgans being permitted to compete without full FIA approved rollbars?
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Simon

We have been discussing Assen with the MSA and HARC(the organising club)/KNAF -the dutch ASN--equivilent of the MSA

We are now waiting for the MSA to formally clarify everything with KNAF

But still hopeful the mog races will be to MSA regs as regards this matter
Roddie Feilden
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Roddie Feilden »

Thank you.

My aim was really to try and bring it to the attention of those who do want to take part in FIA sanctioned international events, so I appreciate that for 90% there may be nothing to worry about .
However for the 10% , it seems to me that there is!, unless someone can put my concerns to rest
Whilst not new to historic racing, I am new to Morgans, so don't want to start hares running, but the new Appendix K amendments appear to be causing quite a fuss in historic racing circles at the moment.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Roddie.. I have spoken to Jim Lowry about your concerns . as you say it is creating a bit of a stir in historics at the moment.
as it affects all cars from 1962 on GTS>GT>GTP>TOURING
Jim understands the situation and as trying to resolve and make things clear for us. needless to say that this will not get an answer very quickly (FIA ) willing

not much of an answer but the best we can do at the moment

jack