Morgan TT at Bentley Drivers Club Silverstone

Races, track days, testing ...
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

The BDC kindly dropped me a note this evening with the final grid for the Morgan TT. We have 15 cars plus one reserve. The full list is below.

This is a fantastic showing of 4 cylinder Morgans and certainly the most I have ever seen together on track.

18 Clarke John Morgan Plus 4 SS 1965 2200
33 Gilbart-Smith Mark Morgan Plus 4 1986 1994
35 Threadingham David Morgan Plus 4 1965 2138
43 Sargeant William Morgan Plus 4 1964 1990
54 Bellinger James Morgan 4/4 1971 1700
75 Rushton Jonathon Morgan Plus 4 1967 2000
82 Sebba Leigh Morgan Plus 4 1955 2138
110 James David Morgan Plus 4 1961 2138
116 Taylerson Matt Morgan Plus 4 1958 2200
122 Sumner Barry Morgan 4/4 1972 1800
129 Ahlers Keith Morgan Plus 4 1956 1991
138 Thorne Helen Morgan 4/4 1964 1500
141 Bellinger Jack Morgan Plus 4 1959 2200
167 Shears Mark Morgan Plus 4 1961 1991
271 Laidlaw Kelvin Morgan Plus 4 1953 TBA

Reserve
186 Kremer Dion Morgan Plus 4 1962 2138

Dion's late entry has been accepted and will be able to practice - I would like to think that he will make the race also. The final regs should be out soon from the BDC.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Could this be the most 4 cylinder Morgans ever assembled in 1 race??
its even beat the 6 Hour relay

love jack
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I had to think back to when I was a svelte young thing in a bright red plus 8 attending BDC for the 1st time - my hair was even bigger then - it was a few years ago mind you. I seem to remember John Macs fearsome plus 4 with supercharger and various other potent 4 cylinders - mind you, there was also a healthy turn out of plus 8s so I doubt that there were as many 4 cylinders out then as we expect this weekend.

Must get back to cutting the grooves in my slicks.......
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

John,

This is a fabulous entry !

I cannot think of another occasion when we have had this many 4-cylinder cars on track - It is also probably the most +4s in a single race as well.

I think it could be a pretty open race - not just at the front but all the way down the entry list it is going to be a fascinating spectacle. Look out for Barry Sumner if it's wet !

Well Done to you and Brian Gateson for getting it off the ground.

Apart from the regular (8-cylinder) Challenge racers competing, it would be good to get a few of the others into a Challenge race sometime.

Looking forward to seeing you all at BDC.

Have (4-cylinder) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

So, who's going to be at the front then Andy? Predictions please.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Billy to lead the way but not last the course. It's then between TOK / XOV / Kremer.
(Unless of course I pass the yellow peril on to Olly B to drive !)
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

I phoned my bookie todayand got excellent odds on the top three placings being Bellenger, Ahlers and Bellinger. I did not even have to specify which way round the Bellingers would have to be; mind you Jack talks more than Billie. If the going is very heavy I would take a punt on VMO. I am glad to hear that Allan Kennedy our estimed eligibility scrutineer is coming. He can keep an eye on all the Sumner Morgans. With any luck Barry may accidently give me the Flat rad V8 for the TT race; as you can see from the entry list the capacity is 'TBA'!
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

I agree that the Bellinger's 4/4 Race Car is probably the quickest and Billy is no mean driver.

Of the +4s XOV is quick (and on an aero screen) but there's not much in in it with TOK and Keith Ahlers certainly has the racecraft. Sadly I hear that the Kremer car GWP will not be there.

After that there are some pretty potent +4s, some without their regular drivers (and so perhaps less familiar/more respectful) and I hear John C has spent a few bob to make his Supersports pretty (and hopefully pretty fast too). It is hard to judge exactly where the likes of Matt Taylerson, Jonathan Rushton and David Threadingham might fit.

We know how closely matched Barry Sumner's 4/4 VMO, David James' and Mark Gilbert-Smith's +4s are, add in Kelvin Laidlaw in Barry's rapid flat rad, Leigh Sebba in the ex-Andy Garlick car and Mark Shears and who knows how the middle order will cross the line. Good Luck too to Helen Thorne and William Sargeant

As I said it should be a fabulous race - Glad I'm not doing Driver of the Day !

Have (4-cylinder) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Well I for one cant wait even getting some avons to put on XOV tonight
As for Bill -- Me and Keith have decided he wont get passed us where ever we are

love jack
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

News from Friday unofficial practice....

Andy Green and Matthew Wurr are being shown the way around Silverstone by Leigh in the ex-Andy Garlick car (I wish).

John Clarke is trying to blag a half day session to get back into the groove.

Brian Gateson has cordoned off half of the paddock so that all the 4 cylinder cars can be parked together.

Weather conditions are mixed. Sunny spells and a drying track in the morning but a few showers at lunchtime.

Good luck to all for a safe and fun day with the BDC.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks for the update Tim.

Have (4-cylinder) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

What a terriffic race - a great display in the paddock and really interesting to hear Richard Shepperd-Baron present the prizes too.

Well done John and Brian for bringing off such a good result and let's hope that the enthusiasm generated makes it a permanent fixture at BDC.

(And many thanks to Tracy too, at a guess, for the magnificent spread that was on offer).
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

I would echo Chris' comments - unfortunately I missed Shepperd-Baron.

The race was terrific, I was on the pit wall (normally the worst place to watch a race) the the race was fast and exciting all the way through the field. Congratulations to Jack for a masterly display, another lap and it may have been for Bill to nip by in the 4/4 - engine by Jack Bellinger ! The tribute to Ray Meredith on the back of XOV is a classy touch.

I was timing XOV for my own interest;

1- no time
2 - 1.13.39
3 - 1.12.90
4 - 1.13.16
5 - 1.12.84
6 - 1.12.95
7 - 1.13.05
8 - 1.12.91
9 - 1.14.16
10 - 1.13.28

Some of Billy's laps must have been quicker as he was catching the 'old man'.

It was particularly good to see all the other +4s having the chance to race with some of the most famous of the historic Morgans.

Well Done again to John Clarke and Brian Gateson and his team.

Had (4-cylinder) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
Charles Neal

Post by Charles Neal »

To think that I was getting trenchfoot in Anglesey when I could have been there... at 2pm on Saturday I was really regretting not being at Silverstone.

Sounds like it was a great race! Are there any results on the internet (doesn't seem to have been timed by MST)? How did everyone else get on?

(but felt better last night coming home with another load of pots for the collection ...)
keith.ahlers
Tech Comm

Post by keith.ahlers »

Last years results are here :

http://www.theresults.co.uk/bentley_results.htm

I don't know if these guys were timing again this year and haven't got round to updating the web pages or if somebody else timed it.