Peter Morgan Memorial Meeting

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Peter Morgan Memorial Meeting

Post by Bob Bull »

Nice to see so many Morgan types on Monday, and to watch some fabulous motor racing, I have put up a few pictures on the usual site, I hope I have not missed anyone, and there is something for everyone.

I shall have a word about certain aspects of the affair later - there is much to discuss!!! Meanwhile enjoy the snaps.

Cheers,

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
john bevan

Re: Peter Morgan Memorial Meeting

Post by john bevan »

Nice to see you at Donington Bob. Lovely photos too! See you at Silverstone!

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Hope you have recovered from the long trek north – great to see you

Surprised to hear you went back home – I thought a youngster like you would hide in a corner of the hospitality tent and await the Donington ‘Download’ rock festival
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

john bevan wrote:Nice to see you at Donington Bob. Lovely photos too! See you at Silverstone!

John
Thank you, John, great to see you - on and off track.
Leigh Sebba wrote:Hope you have recovered from the long trek north – great to see you

Surprised to hear you went back home – I thought a youngster like you would hide in a corner of the hospitality tent and await the Donington ‘Download’ rock festival
Leigh,
I refuse to believe that a lovely lady like Tamsin can be any relation to you, for one she does not have a beard, and was not in the least bit SARCASTIC!!!!!!!

YES! I WILL SEE YOU AT SILVERSTONE.

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

The MSCC Meeting at Donington requires comment from the unbiased observer, so I have set my self the task;

There are three areas to discuss;

Firstly the organisation and racing side. Gaining admittance caused me no problems, I did not even have to show my Paddock pass or relenquish any tickets prior to reaching the paddock, however, after an hour or so I was approached by some chappy in pick-up who told me that the man on the gate was most put out because I drove in "at speed" and he was unable to check my credentials. Considering that I was following a tractor travelling very slowly I thought that was a bit rich. A grovelling apology seemed to mollify officialdom.

When attempting to sign-on I was asked for 'credentials' which I had left in the car, and was told I could not sign-on! Don't these people know who I am??

I simply ignored everyone and signed the form anyway.

I then asked a nice lady if I could have a programme, she turned out to be Michelle Bailey (some sort of Grand Official in the MSCC I believe), a very nice lady indeed! Well she said she enjoyed my contributions to this site, so she must be pretty savvy.

The racing was superb, after the wide open spaces of Silverstone it was a treat to watch the Morgans around Donington, a track much better suited to the cars. I have not enjoyed myself so much for a very long, time. The cars look like proper cars and sound wonderful, especially the V8's, while they are so obviously on the limit around the twisty bits. I only hope my photographic efforts do them some justice.
Look at the picture of Andy Green spinning and see the oil pouring out from underneath the car. That held up proceedings for a while.

Now to some less happy aspects to the day. Jokingly I suggested that I would only turn up if I could get a lift to the circuit, however, quite a number of normally quite sensible people appear to have taken this remark seriously and I was continually asked, "How did you get here?" How are you getting home?" I have been driving myself to Donington ever since it re-opened after the war (not before) and thus before many of these people were born!!! I might be old, but I am not in my dotage yet -Peter, Mark, John, Greg, Jack etc.

I suppose I can not blame those who kept offering food, as if was some kind of inverterate scrounger. I am sure they meant well, but I did bring a substantial packed lunch more than sufficient for my needs, but it still hurts! Maybe I am just a very sensitive soul. Thank's any way, Mandy, Sue, Mark, Peter etc.

Now to the more farcial side of things- the prize giving!

It was obvious that the young lady in charge (who remained nameless - for obvious reasons), had not a clue who had won what, and was completely baffled by some arcane 'handicap' system. She solved the problem, it seems to me, by making sure everybody got something, so avoiding discord and discontent. The recipients appeared happy to get a tin plate or a mug for their efforts, while the only prize worth having was presented to a chap far to young to have any use for it! I notice from the pictures that 'Mum' soon got her hands on it!! Quite right too!

All-in-all it was a most enjoyable day out and I would like to thank everyone for making the Media so welcome. See you all at MG LIve.

Owd Bob.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

‘I refuse to believe that a lovely lady like Tamsin can be any relation to you’

She made a point of getting married so she could change her name hoping that people would then not realise I was her father !
But the Bob Bull investigative journalism discovered the true facts…

Thanks for your very comprehensive report on ‘the Donington experience’ and I am glad to hear that you do occasionally experience the joys (and discomforts) of circuits besides Silverstone. I think the handicap was a new venture and perhaps needs some ‘tweaking’ and I assume that of course there are two bottles that are for driver of the day – a non alcoholic one for the younger winners, or for when the Morgans race in Bahrain
:)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

For those not able to be at Donington for the MSCC Meeting, it should be recorded that Simon Orebi Gann won the first race for Class C, R,D & E, and, according to the commentator, recording his first outright win in 15 years of racing! Difficult to believe, but Simon confirmed the fact, so a very 'Well Done' to him.
Possibly the shine might have been taken off this achievement by knowing that a 'girl' finished second! Yes, Sharlie Goddard spurned the attentions of Kelvin Laidlaw to take the runner up spot, another excellent performance, with the Doc's last corner lunge leading to a trip through the kitty litter. That'll teach 'im!

Hubby Phil, battled mightly with Matthew Wurr in the Aero Racing event, but could just not keep the red car at bay with only .379 seperating them at the finish, however, in the second round the Stevenage man reveresed the positions with a 'relatively' comfortable win.

The driver of the meeting was undoubtedly Plant junior, Richard's lad driving Kupie Doll won Class E, with great aplomb, and putting in a performance that belied his tender years. Well done to William, the bottle of Champers was never better earned.

Quite a number of people who should know better, tried the gravel bed route, but I won't name them. (just take at look at the pictures though!)

Bob.

PS; Don't forget to take a look at Sales and Wanted.
Regards
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Thanks Bob great photos once again and good to see you at Donington although a little of piste for you!!
I still have not tasted the champers yet even though he browed my car :roll:
See you at Silverstone.
Regards,
Richard.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

RICHARD PLANT wrote:Thanks Bob great photos once again and good to see you at Donington although a little of piste for you!!
I still have not tasted the champers yet even though he browed my car :roll:
See you at Silverstone.
Regards,
Richard.
Richard,
Watching Cupie Doll I thought you were driving really well, but then it turned out to be someone else entirely!!! #-o

'Off Piste'?. Yes, I can't think why I haven't been there often in recent years, just getting old and staid I expect, but if Wiliam is not anxious to pop the Champers, why not suggest he swaps it for some High Quality Photographic Art work? Let's face it Champagne is just a brief taste of fame, but Top Grade images will be a constant reminder of the day, and something to show off to his school chums!
As it happens I know just the chap who can provide said snaps. I can probably provide 'satisfied customer references' if neccessary. :roll:

Looking forward to Silverstone, when maybe we can share a drop of Champers? 8-[

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Bob- I see you have captioned the people gallery from Donington. Excellent work!

:OO:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

john bevan wrote:Bob- I see you have captioned the people gallery from Donington. Excellent work!

Thank you John, since your comment I have been told by a number of the 'victims' that they enjoyed the captions, so I suppose I have set a precedent, and will now have my wit stretched to the limit in the future.
Luckily there are some who readily lend themselves to a suitable title but some could prove difficult, after all we would not want to upset anyone would we? :twisted:

I really enjoyed your piece in this month's Miscellany you should do more.

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Thank you Bob, I enjoyed your article and photographs on Donington. Hopefully we will see you there next year.
I may write an article on Morgan racers who drive to meetings, so if you have any photos of Jack,Mary, Kelvin or me that are decent and show the cars let me know!!

John
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

On reflection as long as this photo does not appear in the public domain everyone will be happy!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aero-Rac ... =1&theater

:)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

if you have any photos of Jack,Mary, Kelvin or me that are decent and show the cars let me know!!
I sincerely hope that Bob does not have any indecent photos of any of us :shock:
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Luckily Jack is not awake, so he wouldn't realise if we did find an indecent picture of him.......