MG Live

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Re: MG Live

Post by Bob Bull »

Well the sun shone most of the time and the rain held off for Saturday and Sunday and we saw some good racing, Andy Green took fourth spot in the Thoroughbred Sports Car event, 2nd in class, and Paul Conway was 9th and 2nd in class, while Ulrich Vierhaus was 14th and Sharlie Goddard 17th. Will and Richard Plant shared the former's MGB in the 50th. Anniversary race coming home 19th out of 58 finishers, and there were some seriously quick MG's out there.
Richard was out again in the GTS Championship sharing Kupie Doll with the redoubtable Jack Bellinger, the duo finishing 20thth overall and first in Class '5', Jack just holding off the Foster/Brewer Triumph TR by 0.411 secs. a fine result. I suspect having dragged Sally along Jack felt he had to be the hero! (Breakfast in Bed, was it Jack?).
The Aero Challenge proved to be a real cracker, Richard Plant in the Class 'B' 4/4 he shares with Chas Mogridge, started from pole and took an early lead ahead of Matthew Wurr's Class 'A' Plus 8R, however, the superior 'grunt' of the Techniques prepared car told and Matthew went ahead on lap 3, but could not lose the more nimble Mogsport car, and so we were treated to a fabulous spectacle as they battled all around the Grand Prix circuit. Finally the pressure got to Wurr as he ran wide at Aintree allowing Plant to snatch the lead again. Not for long! The greater speed of the red car told and he drafted past into Copse Corner into a lead he would hold to the flag, it was only at Aintree Corner on the last lap that Richard, trying so hard, had to lift momentarily that allowed Matthew to win by nearly two seconds. Behind this pair Jerry Knight in his newly acquired Plus 8 ran a lonely third ahead of Andy Green, had Andy made a better start this might well have been an epic scrap as they both lapped at a similar speed, as it was it was Roger Whiteside and defending Champion, Tim Ayres who provided the next batch of excitement for the spectator, as they too fought tooth and nail over 5th. and 6th. place. Try as he might Tim could never quite get in front though he was rarely more than a a couple of inches from Roger's back bumper. (does Roger have a rear bumper?). Tim Harrison had little excitement in his life behind this pair in 7th, so it was left to Martin Watson and Kelvin Laidlaw to enliven proceedings behind again proving that you can race wheel-to-wheel without it ending in tears (cue Hamilton/Maldonado). Simon Baines had been at the party but dropped back a little towards the end possibly due to something connected with the hours he spent labouring over his Roadster in the paddock?
Ulrich Vierhaus eventually escaped a frantic scrap to take 11th spot leaving Sharlie Goddard, Philip Tisdall and Greg Dixon-Smith fighting between themselves over 12th, the lady eventually taking the place and Class 'C' honours, yet again. Brett Syndercombe was the last unlapped runner in his Aero 8. All-in-all a treat for race fans with Richard deservedly being judged 'Driver of the Race' by the commentators.

Many friendly faces around the paddock meant a great social occasion to add to the day with many WHaGs adorning the scene (Wives, Hangers-on and Guests) not to mention media types looking for sandwiches.

Sorry that the Mobile Tea Bike was not in action, but hot chicken soup was on offer, but had no takers. Pictures up on the usual site very shortly and copies available at bargain prices if not downloaded for free yourself.

See some of you at the Grand Prix perhaps or the Classic if not Bentley Drivers, in the meantime why not add your three pen'ath on the site.

Cheers,

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Excellent report Bob – you could do this professionally !
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, dont give up the day job......
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

peter rafter wrote:Bob, dont give up the day job......
Oh! Dear! Compo's upset because he did not get a mention in my excellent report; Peter Rafter finished in 19th. place one lap down on the leaders and 6th. and last in Class 'R'. A quite magnificent effort from the lad from Holmsfirth.

Age shall not condemn ....................!

Foggy.

E' oop lad, a reet barnpot.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Ouch!!!!!

you could scar a person for life

I am now retiring as an unemployed gigolo
peter
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob.... Many thanks for the upgrade..
But in the Gts race we came 2nd in Class ( well thats what the pot says) ... Richard also had the fastest lap out of the two of us 2.41 not bad for a Tractor engine..
I had great fun Driving Cupie Doll .She handled great and pulled like a train ...There,s just something special about getting them cars into a 4 wheel drift . and hanging the back out at the Complex..You can just feel the balance of the set up (well done Chas)
It would have been nice to win the Class but we had to use exuse 35 as to why we didnt (Brett and Greg will understand)

I have been very Lucky to be able to play with these Special Cars .....A Great Many thanks to Richard and Mandy for allowing me to Give Cupie doll a good Blatting (I loved every minute of it)

Thank You once again Richard and Mandy

Lucky jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I have checked the result of the GTS race as published on the web and Kupie Doll is the first car in Class 5 mentioned! The result is dominated by MG's with only an Elva Courier and a TVR Grantura ahead of the Morgan, both entered in Class 4. I should check your pot again. Unless it is for the 2nd driver!!

I wrote that report three times. The first time it just disappeared when I pressed submit (%$@+**&%), on the second occasion I deleted one single letter, and the whole thing was wiped out (double %$@**&%).

In my haste to get it on the site before disaster struck a third time I missed mentioning the Roger Whiteside and Richard Thorne won Class 3, well they did according to the published result.

In any case you can now see pictures of yourself and Doll on the usual site, to avoid having to click on too many pictures, you are at the wheel in those taken after the MG Live sign. For other interested parties I put that image in when Richard pitted to hand over to Jack, so most after that will tend to be the second driver.

Say hello to Sally.

Bob.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Hi Bob- as always great photos, will place my order soon!

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Bob,
Great photos and and report can you sort me out some photos and I'll settle up at BDC :?:

Jack,
Thanks for driving with me it was great fun only to sorry that I tried to start the Plus 4 in 3rd gear!!! I can't believe I made the error I thought I was in 1st what a plonker :roll: let's have a go at those MGB'S again. See you at Classic Le Mans for the battle of the series 1's but be gentle!!

Great weekend and thanks to Chas for building and letting me race such an amazing little car =D>

Richard
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Jerry
Amazingly good clarity, and I like the post on Spa, shame you could not quite get even with the Porsche – defiantly feeling withdrawal symptoms – and that’s not helped by reading of Jacks exploits - what camera is it?
Barry
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Barry Sumner wrote:Jerry
Amazingly good clarity, and I like the post on Spa, shame you could not quite get even with the Porsche what camera is it?
Barry
Drift 720p Barry
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Apologies to Jack and Richard, they finished 13th overall in the GTS race and were indeed second in class to the Brewer/Foster TR (8th.) Roger and Richard were 1st in Class 3.

Bumbling Bob.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Yes we Know

jack