silverstone celebs

Races, track days, testing ...
peter rafter

silverstone celebs

Post by peter rafter »

b*****r,
the winner Kevin was driving my roadster lightweight------- I shared it with Richard Thorne at the snetterton 4 hour relay and in his hands she flew. Yet in my control we trundle around in the morgan races at the back of the grid hopelessly out of touch!!!
is the "dear marjorie " helpline still operating?
or are there other helplines (Womans Own excepted) I should seeek help from
answers on a postcard please

SPEEDY CELEBS PUT ON A GREAT RACE AT SILVERSTONE & RAISE VITAL FUNDS FOR CHARITYReturn to press release list

1 2 3 4 ... 41 42 43 > >|22 Jul 2012

Emmerdale actor Kelvin Fletcher won this afternoon’s Celebrity Challenge race ahead of musicians AC/DC ‘frontman’ Brian Johnson and Jamiroquai’s Jay Kay at the Silverstone Classic powered by the AA event.

The annual race at the world’s biggest classic motor racing festival with its ‘Rocking and Racing’ theme has raised money for the Birmingham Children’s Hospital, the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK and the RPJ Chron’s Foundation.

Other celebrities to participate included Hollywood actor Sir Patrick Stewart, Nicola Stapleton and Tony Hirst of Eastenders and Coronation Street fame, chef Heston Blumenthal, Strictly Come Dancing's Brendan Cole, BBC Radio 1’s ‘Comedy Dave’ Dave Vitty, BBC Sport presenter Andrew Castle, Sky Sports’ Vicky Gomersall and Wolves soccer legend Steve Bull.

All were in identical race-prepared 130mph Morgan sportscars but it was Fletcher, aka Emmerdale farmer Andy Sugden, who came out on top. Starting from pole position he led all the way and also set the race’s fastest lap around the famous Silverstone Grand Prix track.

Fletcher commented: “It was really good fun. The race was harder than qualifying, but I had an amazing time and a good battle with Jay Kay before edging away. Everyone came back unscathed which was the main thing. It’s been a great day and we’ve raised awareness for three great charities.”

Runner-up Johnson said: “It was fantastic. The crowds were awesome as were the guys who loaned us these magic cars. This is the best event on the planet and, what’s more, it’s right here on our doorstep in the UK. I’ve had a wonderful time. It was terrific fun.”

Kay added: “It was brilliant although fairly full on and I had a great tussle with Tony Hirst and Brian Johnson. But I was a naughty boy for driving off the track a few times so got a small time penalty which meant I missed out on second. I’m probably going to get six of the best for that but I’ve had a ball.”

Silverstone Classic Celebrity Challenge (8 laps)

1. Kelvin Fletcher, 21m05.479s

2. Brian Johnson, +7.513s

3. Jay Kay, +9.246s

4. Tony Hirst, +16.861s

5. Steve Bull, +21.682s

6. Dave Vitty, +1m01.825s

7. Heston Blumenthal, +1m34.207s

8. Andrew Castle, 2m51.003s

9. Sir Patrick Stewart, 3m02.808s

10. Nicola Stapleton, +1 lap

11. Vicky Gomersall, +1 lap

Fastest lap: Fletcher, 2m34.990s
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: silverstone celebs

Post by Leigh Sebba »

If Kelvin Fletcher is better than you at Morgan racing the logical conclusion is that you should have a go at acting in Emmerdale – and perhaps you would be a better actor than him.

Glad the race went well and not a demolition derby like last year.

Leigh
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

unfortunately, the Simon Baines car was written off on the stowe circuit practice..unneccesarily

ps
acting runs in the family, as my grandson proudly informed us that he was especially chosen to be a King in the school electricity (sic) play last christmas. Cometh the hour and he was ina procession of at least 20 kings.......

Any way what is Emmerdale?.. is it the UK Dallas?
peter
Phill Thomas
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phill Thomas »

Any way what is Emmerdale?.. is it the UK Dallas?[/quote]

No its the Archers on TV
Sean Horwood
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Sean Horwood »

Does Joe Grundy need replacing in the Archers? I think we have our man!
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Sorry to hear about your Roadster getting damaged Simon! What happened? How bad is the damage?
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

I was passengering my celebrity on the familiarisation session on the Stowe circuit when the car failed to make a left turn at the end of the main straight and sustained a heavy impact with the tyre wall and armco.

It was testament to the strength of the car that both driver and myself walked away from the car, unaided, as the passenger compartment is virtually undamaged. I simply opened the nearside door and climbed out.

Contrary to what may appear in certain media statements, the brakes did not fail and the driver was not seriously injured - the driver sustained a cut to his left knee and I suffered a minor abrasion.
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

OUCH! That must have smarted a bit!!

Glad you're OK though.
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

May I suggest any further discusion regarding the accident is held in the private forum
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Celebrities? I could have indentified one cook and one actor prior to the event, but all of the other 'names' were a mystery to me, clearly I must get out more - or should I stay in and watch TV more?

Seeing Sharlie's green car and Kelvin's silver one flying down to Brooklands side-by-side, made me wonder if I was in a time warp, and back at the BDC last year!!! :(

Peter; Don't worry about the apparent discrepancy between your performance and that of that Kelvin bloke. He was probably only acting fast!! Anyway who is this Emma Dale girl we hear so much about?

I will post pictures from the event shortly on the usual site.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Didn’t they invite celebrity photographers Bob ?

I can see it now – David Bailey, Mario Testino, Lord Snowdon, Cartier-Bresson, Linda McCartney, Annie Leibovitz, and Bob Bull all racing in Morgans - although sadly a few of those may not still be with us.

(And of course Shears junior)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh Sebba wrote:Didn’t they invite celebrity photographers Bob ?

I can see it now – David Bailey, Mario Testino, Lord Snowdon, Cartier-Bresson, Linda McCartney, Annie Leibovitz, and Bob Bull all racing in Morgans - although sadly a few of those may not still be with us.

(And of course Shears junior)
Leigh,
As all who visit this site will attest, I am a very modest and unassuming character, however, your posting does resonate somewhat, as I have recently been quite active photographing many very well known names, to whit; Vicky Gomersall, Andrew Castle, Dave Vitty, Kelvin Fletcher amongst others!!

Just how famous can one man be?

Shears Junior? Pah!!!
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards