Lack of Knowledge

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Lack of Knowledge

Post by Bob Bull »

Now as most of you know, I am not an expert on Morgans, and therefore do not understand much of the terminology used in their use and maintainence. While browsing through the 'How Do I' section recently, (the way you do) I came across a number of mystifying expressions, which I hope some kind soul might care to explain to a mere photographer like myself. I fully understand that some may require a degree of confidentiality so for the more dubious terms, please see me at the BDC.

1) "leaky nose diff" Surely the purchase of a handkerchief would be advisable.

2) "Trailer bed". For what purpose would you require such an item at a race meeting? The mind boggles :oops:

3) Robin Singleton mentions having a "17 inch one". Is this just boasting or do I misunderstand.

4) Richard Smith had his "tubeless facility removed". Does this affect his Oyster Card, and does Boris Johnson know about it?

5) Jack warned about "rear spring front bushes", yet I assumed that Sally did the gardening. Is 'rear spring' actually summer? (remember those?)

6) Some one had a 'Mallory Coil' fitted. Is this something else I am confusing with more intimate items?

7) A Mr. Martin apparently has an 'empty silencer'. If he is a 'hitman' this is presumably a severe handicap, but it could refer to a hungry other half. Explanation needed.

8) Andrew Faulds wants to replace a 'fan belt'. When I was young girls through their knickers on to the stage, but belts??? Weird.

9) Finally (and I will not name the culprit) one poster declared that "Melvyn only had a small item". Sneaky peeking in the gents I suppose.

Naturally I am sure there is a completley innocent explanation for all of the above, but it does highlight the need for discretion when asking for help on this Forum. There is always someone who will take things the wrong way.

Puzzled of Luton.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Robin Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Lack of Knowledge

Post by Robin Singleton »

Bob

Actually, I have two 17 inch ones!

Robin S
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Bob, I think you have taken too much sun lately, you need a sun hat.
Otherwise you have too much time on your hands - aren't you covering the Olympic Games?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay???

Would she be one of the 'Morgan Drivers' mentioned in a previous post?

No! No! actually Mary, I worry about the health of this forum, which falls into disrepair at regular intervals and requires something to stir up interest, or better still controversy. Being a 'Retired Gentleman' I think it incumbent on me to stimulaate the creative juices and arouse the latent passion dormant in all to many members of BHP.

Some worthy members do, of course, have urgent re-building work to undertake, and can be excused for their neglect, however, far too many skulk in foreign lands, plead business worries, family committments, anything but add scintillating whit to our columns.

Robin, as we can see has been shaken out of his torpor sufficiently to further confuse my understanding of Mogan maintainence. Two 17" . what???

Nice to have you back.

Bob
Regards
Robin Singleton

Hi Bob

Just been down to the pub in the just restored 1963 Coupe for a couple of pints of Adnams....a decent drop of beer.

"A 17 inch what?"........ Well a Bluemels of course...tried the 14 inch one, but the 17 inch one seems more fit for purpose.

May well see you at BDC

Life doesn't get much better than this.......pity Team GB were beaten by Uzbekistan in the cycling though.

Robin S
Robin Singleton

Bob

Well maybe it was Kazakstan!

But can you enlighten us on why Team GB didn't win the cycling road race?

Some say it was the lack of help from the Austalian team.

Robin S
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Maybe they just didn't pedal fast enough?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

We are wandering off topic here, but as the Senior Resident Expert on site, I suppose I should give an explanation as to the complete failure of the British Cycling Team in the Olympic Road Race.

A complete lack of nous!!!

Clealry the only plan was that 'Cav' would win the sprint on the Mall! Simple!!! :oops:

Having worked hard to pull back the leading bunch of riders all race they then allowed another large group to attack on the final climb of Box Hill and join the leaders, who then numbered 30+ and had suficient 'big names' from most teams to be able to hold off the peloton until the finish.Why they allowed that to happen is beyond me especially with so many top riders in the break. The should, in my opinion, have put a couple of men in the break to cover all angles, after all if the break was caught before the finish they would then have all of their guys to lead out Cavendish.

Poor tactics I think and no plan 'B'.

Why wasn't I in charge?

Noel Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Robin, many thanks for clearing the 17" matter up, I have had several Bluemels in the past - I used them to pump-up my bicyle tyres.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

what is a bicyle Bob?
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Robin Singleton

Hi Bob

All very interesting...looked up Bluemels on the Internet and indeed they are suppliers of bicycle pumps, mudguards, etc.

I was meaning steering wheels... The Blluemels Brooklands wheel!

Appreciate your expert views re the road race.

Robin S
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

john bevan wrote:what is a bicyle Bob?
A means of transport used by witches in Gloucestershire when their broomstick was in for a service, last known sighting was in 1908 I believe.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

no Bob, that was the tricyle. Witches used it because of its increased stability when they had partaken of the local scrumpy.....
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

[
john bevan wrote:no Bob, that was the tricyle. Witches used it because of its increased stability when they had partaken of the local scrumpy.....
John, I am sure you are an expert in many fields, covens, karting enterprises, old Morgans, women,and indeed undoubtedly a multi-talented, multi-faceted genius, seer and pundit, HOWEVER, please do not presume to best me on 'trikes and bikes'. I yield to no man or woman on this forum with regard to these forms of transport.

Funnily enough I saw a woman (?) in a full Burka cyle past my house yesterday. Never seen such a sight before. :o

Wet lettuce leaves at Dawn will settle matters at the Bentley Drivers.

See ya!

Bob.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Having sat through watching on TV most of 6 hours of the men’s cycle and 4 hours of the women’s I did find it rather hypnotic and was wondering if these tactics could be applied to Morgan racing.

How is it when Keith pulls ahead at the front he manages to build up a gap from the peloton of following Morgans and isn’t ‘pulled back’ ? Surely he should keep with the pack and only sprint ahead a few yards from the finish ?

What is this ‘pulling back’. Are the breakaway riders on a long elastic ? Are they actually slowing or is the chasing pack speeding up – in which case it is not a case of ‘pulling back’ but of catching up ?

I was particularly intrigued by the toilet arrangements - most of the men stopped at the first undergrowth somewhere around Kingston – but I missed the start on Sunday so I don’t know if the women did the same – but perhaps they had drunk less beer. And also the food arrangements where they are handed what looks like M & S picnic bags as they whizz past at 30 mph.

No doubt Bob can enlighten me. :?: