RBMApics.com

Race chatter
Bob Bull

RBMApics.com

Post by Bob Bull »

Gallery

This link should take you to my posh new photo web site, all my own work by the way, which is designed to further my burgeoning career as a leading MOTOR SPORT PHOTOGAPHER.

Naturally this is aimed at the hoi polloi of motor sport not the up-market Morgan drivers who will still benefit(?) from the morgan skydrive site.

I would appreciate any favourable comments on the site, and might not take too much offence at fair and considered criticism (but don't bank on it).

Bob, Proprietor RBMApics.com.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Re: RBMApics.com

Post by Bob Bull »

Bob

Actually you should go to this site first, which then leads you to the one above.

Technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bah!
Regards
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Bob,

Good luck on your quest to become a "leading MOTOR SPORT PHOTOGAPHER".

or should that be PHOTOGAFFER - No Morgans on the Home Page !! You won't get very far on this site.....

Regards - Tim the Pedant
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Tim, not quite what I had in mind, but welcome all of the same, after all no publicity is bad publicity, anyway there are already plenty of motorsport snappers, what we need is more gaffers, and when it comes to gaffs, I'm your man.

g'day,

Bob.

Why is pedantry suddenly so popular?
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Speaking of pedantry Bob
the hoi polloi of motor sport
You might find this interesting:
Some linguistic prescriptivists and students of ancient Greek argue that, given that hoi is a definite article, the phrase "the hoi polloi" is redundant, akin to saying"the the masses". Others argue that this is inconsistent with other English loanwords. The word "alcohol", for instance, derives from the Arabic al-kuhl, al being an article, yet "the alcohol" is universally accepted as good grammar; relevant differences, however, are that a) hoi polloi is transliterated but otherwise unmodified, whereas alcohol is altered in both pronunciation and associated spelling to form an independent word, and b) hoi polloi is left standing as a multiple-word phrase, with one word devoted exclusively to the function of the definite article, whereas in alcohol the grammatical particle serving as an article is assimilated into the (heavily modified) word.

P.E Dant
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Precisely as I have always argued Mary. :^o
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

I,ll drink to that

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay wrote:Speaking of pedantry Bob
You might find this interesting:
Some linguistic prescriptivists and students of ancient Greek argue that, given that hoi is a definite article, the phrase "the hoi polloi" is redundant, akin to saying"the the masses". Others argue that this is inconsistent with other English loanwords. The word "alcohol", for instance, derives from the Arabic al-kuhl, al being an article, yet "the alcohol" is universally accepted as good grammar; relevant differences, however, are that a) hoi polloi is transliterated but otherwise unmodified, whereas alcohol is altered in both pronunciation and associated spelling to form an independent word, and b) hoi polloi is left standing as a multiple-word phrase, with one word devoted exclusively to the function of the definite article, whereas in alcohol the grammatical particle serving as an article is assimilated into the (heavily modified) word.

P.E Dant
Mary there is an alternative school of thought that suggests Hoi Polloi was in fact a bucolic character living in rural Norfolk, whom your friend the Singing Postman would address as follows;

"Oi! Poluoi, af you got a loight buoi?"

Of course I cannot vouchsafe that this correct, but I am sure with your knowledge of all things rural you will be able to distinguish fact from Bob's ramblings.

Over to you,

Bob.
Last edited by Bob Bull on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

jack bellinger wrote:I,ll drink to that

jack
Nothing new there then.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Perhaps I have completely misunderstood your reference -was he a Norfolk racing driver?
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Dear Bob and Mary,

I remember seeing at Silverstone some years ago an unsuitable old saloon car modified for racing bearing the slogan on the drivers door 'Prepared by: Norfolk n' Chance'.

Think about it !

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Suffolk to say I grasp the allusion, Mark.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay wrote:
Perhaps I have completely misunderstood your reference -was he a Norfolk racing driver?
No! No! Mary, he was the beer barrel rolling champion of Nehver-Cum-Secund, winning four times in the late 1800's, beating Jack Lyn-Sey on each occasion. Apparently Jack had failed to realise that Hoi always drank the barrel dry before the start. Tactics is all in barrel rolling, have you any experience of barrel rolling yourself?

Lurv,

Bobby Buoi.
Regards