Wanted Side Screens

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
Eddie Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Wanted Side Screens

Post by Eddie Singleton »

I am looking for a pair of side screens for my 1956 +4. I believe these to be the ones with the flap to the lower section of the frame. Any condition will be considered.
Bob Northover

Re: Wanted Side Screens

Post by Bob Northover »

I am also looking for a pair for my 1955 +4 - with fixed "glass" and the flappy bit below.
I actually have a pair but in keeping with the car they are a bit dilapidated, having spent many years rattling around in the back not being used. Also they are aluminium frames which look a bit home made - even by Morgan standards. I am assuming the real things are steel.
If someone could provide a picture of the real thing and a drawing/dimensions that would be helpful, since I am obviously second in the queue for any that are going. I could try to make some and know they were handmade!

Bob
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Bob, surely after all these years of hardy motoring you are not going to succumb to the soft option of sidescreens?

Smudge has a pair on his Plus 4 and next time I go over there I will take a camera and a tape measure and note the dimensions.

Best wishes,

Mary
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Surely the Rev I R Drotcart doesn't need sidescreens? Haven't you got a spare bit of bailingtwine and a plastic sheet?
Bob,where have you been all these years?
Cheers, Tony
Bob Northover

Post by Bob Northover »

Thank you Mary.
Rest assured the side screen won't actually be used on the driver's side and will continue just to rattle around in the back with the galvanised wire (bailing twine indeed).

Tony, alive and very well in Bath - trialling a mildly modified Chummy these days so Poppy has a slightly easier life.

Cheers
Bob
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Good to hear all is well :-)
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi All,

I will also need a pair of these early sidescreens for my 1952 Plus 4 flat rad so do keep us all informed of any developments !

Cheers

Mark
Robin Singleton

Post by Robin Singleton »

I have a pair in pristine condition on the SuperSports.
Perhaps I should copy and get a batch made up!

Robin Singleton
Eddie Singleton

I appreciate you're family and trying to help, but I suspect yours are not the flappy version !! Nothing personal you understand. The Bruv.
Robin Singleton

I think they are flappy. Ie the sort with a presstud that when unclipped allows arm access for hand signals.

Edd...I'll send you a pic.

The Bruv
Eddie Singleton

To Bob Northover,

Bob, I spoke with Terry at Gee's yesterday who tells me you have borrowed early side screen patterns from him. Are you intending to have a pair made or make them yourself?

I would be interested to know how you go on and if you are having a pair made, then at what cost including the upholstered parts.

Hope you don't mind my enquiry.

Cheers,

Eddie Singleton.
Bob Northover

Post by Bob Northover »

Hi Eddie,

I am planning to have a go at making the basic frames myself and then get a trimmer to finish them off. The steel for the frames cost me £10.
My welding is not great but I am hoping that I can grind it back to something respectable.

I really need some pictures of of the real thing before I get going. Mary is going to have a look at Smiffy's but that will be mid March.
I am sure - knowing Morgans - that there is not one pattern for the screens but I would like an idea of how the "glass" was fitted into the frames: directly bolted on or mounted in the trim material which is attached to the frame. If you know that would help.

Cheers
Bob
Robin Singleton

Eddie

Photo on its way via e mail...perhaps you can send it over to Bob if you have his e mail.

The screen material is thick flexible Vynyl as fitted to hood rear windows, and the surrounding material is black everflex.

This all in one piece is fastened to the frame by bolts located in the four chrome strips, with nuts on the inside. There are holes in the frame for the bolts to engage in.

The flap below the vynyl is hinged to allow hand/ arm to pass through.

I got all my bits ie stainless strip, nuts and bolts, and the retrimming done by Melvyn, and fitted it myself.

The Bruv. (Ps The transparent material is not Perspex!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Robin and Eddie,

The description you have given of the sidescreens on your Supersports sounds exactly the same as the sidescreens I had on a 1962 Plus 4 4-seater I had some years ago.

I would think these 'flappy' type sidescreens would have carried through Plus 4 production until they were replaced in the mid sixties by the sliding perspex screens still fitted to this day.

You don't get cheap sidescreens like this on a DHC do you!

Cheers

Mark
Robin Singleton

Hi Mark

I think you are absolutely right, although I think there was a time in the mid '60s when flappers were standard, and Perspex were an optional extra.
Yes, on the DHC proper glass sliders...the height of luxury!

Edd...have sent some photos....sorry for the delay...have been making marmalade

Cheers

Robin