Famous Morgan/Lancia dealer runs out of puff

Race chatter
Andrew Potter

Famous Morgan/Lancia dealer runs out of puff

Post by Andrew Potter »

See page 7 of the Times Motoring Section today. Which side of the road do they drive abroad?

Andrew P
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Famous Morgan/Lancia dealer runs out of puff

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Andrew, however many times you tell us it's no good if we don't take the Sunday Times - we still won't know what you are talking about! :roll:
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

there is a picture of a scuffily dressed and dubious looking character character wearing what looks like a morgan cap, stranded on the side of the A1 in France, ostensibly out of fuel, but filling his car from a posssibly highly illegal plastic container. Note the disorganised status of his boot-- what else can he possibly concealing? Far be it for me to point the finger but would you buy a used car from such as he???
This photo was obviously taken be4 the gendarmes arrived and carted said individual off to the bastille.

Andrew. in his dotage, and possibly without his reading glasses, surmised that he recognised the miscreant. Given that said individual may have previous form i am obviously concerned as I do have a vehicle currently in the hospital near Reading. Knowing how intransigent les amis Bleu can be in imposing fines and seizing and securing assets i will forthwith and with great haste attempt to reclaim my prize vehicle be4 its is shipped off to France as bail or even part payment of the fine.

ps/. did not lancia make expensive exotic rust buckest?
peter
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

pps
re " scruffuly " and "buckets"
please excuse the fat finger tiping==typing,
I blame the vino
peter
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Peter- Two thoughts on your ideas. Did you pre-pay Richard with readies in a suitcase? Or has Richard taken the Gendarmes seriously and filled all those suitcases full of breathalysers? Hope he's back for next weekend.
Mary- should you want a copy of said article, meet me at Parkeston Quay Harwich Friday afternoon whilst we find a way onto the ship that tried destroying the loading ramp two weeks ago.
Hope the rest of the summer goes well for all the Morgan racers.
Andrew P
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

"suitcases full of breathalysers? "
Pretty tame. I presumed that it was more serious contraband.
Bit of a thorney problem eh?
Have a good holiday but prennez garde!
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

For those who have no idea what this is about – but actually care – I have now dug out the relevant page which is an article about the turning of hard shoulders on m/ways into another lane and what happens if breakdown / run out of fuel. And whether one can be fined for running out of fuel and causing an obstruction. (On a more serious note I am always concerned to drive any of my older cars (1950- 1980) on m/way without a hard shoulder and take a deep breath when entering the QE2 tunnel).

The picture shows R T filling his car from a 5 litre plastic fuel ‘can’. The photo has been ‘reversed’ ie negative and the no plate which is partly legible shows it as an E plate (ie around 1967 ?). The car is shown on left hand side of road – so the right way round it would be on the right – ie abroad. The car looks to me like an open Merc ‘pagoda roof’ type sports but it may well be some sort of Lancia etc.

All clear then ?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Before we castigate any individual, I would point out that most famous people have a double (to confuse potential assassins), remember " I was Monty's Double"?
Saddman Hussein had numerous doubles (Can you have more than one double?), Hitler had one ............ come on! Double I'm talking about. Also many well know filum stars have doubles, as has Jack Bellinger I believe, therefore it is entirely possible that the seedy character furtively topping up his fuel tank on a French Motorway, while a tanker speeds by, might well be Hugo Lightly of Pontefract. He who bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain motor coper of our acquaintance.

Let he is without sin cast the first slur.

The Voice of Reason.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
simon king

Post by simon king »

For those that don't take the Sunday times but would like to see the picture at least try: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/ing ... 283030.ece
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

It is rather strange with regard to the picture apparently showing our Mr Mystery on the wrong side of the rue, as when I first saught help from the internet the picture did show him correctly positioned, however, subsequently all images appear to have been reversed.
Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?

Naturally the basic nature of the event remains the same, however viewed.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

‘Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?’

Yes Bob – if you read my posting just above you will see I did.
I presume it is reversed so it looks like in UK – although perhaps there are technical reasons for reversing a photo ?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

"Yes Bob – if you read my posting .."

Yeah! If .................
Regards