Girning

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Girning

Post by Bob Bull »

I don't think Simon has got a grip on 'girning' just yet!

No doubt some wiseacre will explain what this is all about!

Over to you Leigh.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Re: Girning

Post by peter rafter »

only surmising, but he may have just heard that one of those paparazi/amteur photographer/radio hacks has been spotted approaching the morgan prize giving and nosebag session??
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I suppose from one who has no need of girning, that is as about as much use as one can expect!

I trust the Nora Batty has been kind enough to lend you a few quid?

Foggy.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I suspect this is all a plot and that Richard is watching son William enthusiastically driving in one of the family fleet – but to fool us all Bob has photo shopped William into the photo :?: :?: :?:
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

A gurn (note correct spelling) is a deliberate facial distortion. Richard is in fact suffering with the involuntary but temporary effect of driving a class A car with insufficient windscreen protection. I understand Botox can offer some relief!
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Greg, I think you will find that either spelling is correct:
The word 'girning' dates back to the 12th Century. Gurning (sometimes spelled Girning) is usually practiced by the Girner putting his or her head through a horse collar and making a ridiculous face.

It is mostly popular in rural England, and probably any place that people have a lot of time on their hands and spare horse collars. It's believed that the sour faces were originally a result of eating crabapples, and the faces were so fun they were made into friendly competitions.
This is obviously a popular topic and I think we should consider a special competition each year for the best turn (or grin). We could substitute the horse collar with a spare tyre.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

gregparnell wrote:A gurn (note correct spelling) is a deliberate facial distortion. Richard is in fact suffering with the involuntary but temporary effect of driving a class A car with insufficient windscreen protection. I understand Botox can offer some relief!
Some one more sensitive than myself might well take umbrage at the suggestion that I had spelt girning incorrectly, however, being a perfect gentleman (as Mary will happily attest) I will simply shrug the implied insult off. :shock:
Regards