2013 Spa

Races, track days, testing ...
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

2013 Spa

Post by Andy Downes »

Just back from Belgium - so a couple of pictures to get started.

John Emberson's (very shiny) SLR shows off its night-time credentials.

A lovely car hidden away in the central paddock - Simon Orebi Gann's SLR.

More to come later.

Andy
'Skipper'
Andy Downes

Re: 2013 Spa

Post by Andy Downes »

6-Hours of Spa Francorchamps - Malvern's finest prepare to do battle.

The immaculate +8 of Paul/Wells/Bourne (prepared by Rob Wells).

Multi-Eau Rouge podium +8 of Ahlers/Bellinger/Bock (prepared by Billy Bellinger)

Some of the opposition

Pit Lane distractions :P

'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Is that Rob carefully looking the other way in the last photo ? :)
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Leigh Sebba wrote:Is that Rob carefully looking the other way in the last photo ? :)
Leigh, he wasn't looking the other way for long !

The +8s were competing for the Eau Rouge Trophy (a special class within the Spa 6 Hours) and Keith/Billy/Christian have always finished on the podium including visits to the top step. This year the Morgans were up against two very quick Datsun 240Zs, and sadly they showed us the way home finishing 1st and 2nd. Keith was 3rd and Malcolm 4th.

We (Paul/Wells/Bourne) suffered a prolonged stop in the pits with alternator problems which required a replacement, the job was complicated by a fractured alternator bracket. Later in the race Ahlers/Bellinger/Bock also had alternator maladies but Brett/Billy were able to sort them out more quickly.

I don't have any results but understand the Emberson/Wykeham/Horseman SLR got hit at the back and eventually succumbed to engine problems.

Sorry I don't have any details about the Barry Sidery Smith race with the other Morgans, or the Sunday race featuring the Orebi Gann/Bell and Ahlers/Bellinger SLRs.

Andy
'Skipper'
Catherine Emberson

Post by Catherine Emberson »

Andy, sorry to have missed you. We seemed to be very busy all weekend. Sadly John's SLR was given a bash which required a hasty bit of body pulling out and a new wheel but the car ran fantastically until the engine suddenly went at 2 and half hours. Still being investigated but probably a broken crankshaft. Still we started in 48th but had got up to 25th before our stop and we will probably try again. Didn't get the chance to try out the lights properly which was a shame. Watching all the cars at the end was a real treat.

We did have some success though in the Pre 63 GT with a class win with Simon King and Will Plant 2nd in class and Mark Shears and Philip Tisdall in 5th.

As far as I am aware Keith and Billy in their SLR won their class in the Gentlemen Drivers (Leading that championship overall) with Simon and Mike in their SLR 3rd in class.

A great weekend!

Catherine.
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Andy Downes wrote: Sorry I don't have any details about the Barry Sidery Smith race with the other Morgans,
Andy
Well It started wet with lots of oil and rubbish from the 6 hour race but dried up half way through . Fantastic fun !!
Andy Green retired after 7 laps with a mechanical issue
Philip Tisdale 52nd ( why was the yellow Mustang overtaking you on the grass ? )
Peter Sargeant 42nd
Kelvin Laidlaw 34th ( How many spins ? )
Andy Smith 7th
Myself 6th
T. Gilmartin 3rd
The Williams Family in that SD1 Rover ( nasty noisy thing ) 15th
As always a fantastic weekend and good to see so many fellow Morgan racers
Jerry
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks Catherine and Jerry, for filling in the details.

I couldn't resist a few more shots.

The +4 of Ramus and Philip Lokvig.

In the 6-Hour, the unfortunate driver has to queue for a free pump.

The best kind of relief at the finish.
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Thanks for update and results are at

http://www.ris-timing.be/~circuit//6hspa/2013/index.htm
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Jerry,
That was when Mark was driving. These Americans are very impatient you know. I think that Mark was also sandwiched between a MGB on his right and the white line and grass on his left.
Philip
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I think you will all like to see this weeks edition of the online magazine petrolicious.com with a report and photographs from Spa - you may even recognise some of the cars...!

http://www.petrolicious.com

Enjoy!

Cheers

Mark
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Mark,

Some great pictures & memories from Spa, thanks. I have one story that I know will appeal to you as I learnt of your love for the Ferrari 250 SWB when we chatted in the pits. The last picture in your article shows car number 21, the red Clive Joy SWB, and if you look carefully you will see a ladies shoe (pump) taped to the back of the car. I was just behind him in the SLR on the grid at Spa and noticed this and we quizzed him on this when we subsequently raced with him in the Patrick Peter event at Paul Ricard and he explained that he and the team were (& I believe still are) waiting for a Cinderella moment in that they found the shoe in their pit garage at Goodwood and are still hoping some shy lady will reclaim it when she sees it taped on the back of the car!

Perhaps we should set super-sleuth Bob on the case for them and he could start investigating with Mary, Sharlie or Kathy......................??
John Emberson
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John and Catherine,

Thought you would like to see the article - especially Jonny's photos.

I 've just told him the story about the girls shoe and the 250 SWB as we both wondered what the reason was and Jonny said he thought he saw it on the car at Goodwood the weekend before. (Again there are some super photographs Jonny took on petrolicious.com of his journey from Paris to Goodwood Revival).

It was only when I saw Jonny's photographs on the same 'page' of your car and the Devis 250 SWB (the beautiful pale blue car no. 32) that I noticed they were both registered within days of one another at the Bournemouth licencing office in August 1962.

Your car is 8334 RU and the Ferrari is 7272 RU. What a coincidence!

They have also just published on www.petrolicious.com what we were getting up to while you were in Portugal - see the Journee d'Automne article.

Lots of Bugattis - and even a couple of Morgans!

Cheers

Mark
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Mark,

We were actually lucky enough to be parked next to the Devis 250 SWB a couple of years ago at Monza and of course conversation turned to either having both RU's in a collection or doing a swap. However, it was then pointed out that one was a stunningly beautiful car with a fabulous competition record and very valuable and the other was a...........................Ferrari :lol:
John Emberson
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Ha! Ha! I was waiting for that...!