MG90

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

MG90

Post by Bob Bull »

The final race of the MG90 extravaganza was a 50 minute two driver race and the entry featured two quite awesome Morgans those of Graeme and Ollie Bryant and Richard and Will Plant. It looked like we were in for some great racing especially with Graeme Bryant starting from pole after Ollie lapped several seconds faster than Richard in qualifying.
I stood at the complex, camera poised for what promised to be a classic first lap, however, .......................

The commentary revealed that an MG was leading at Copse with the Bryant Morgan trailing in about fourth or fifth spot. Not a good start to proceedings ...... but what is this ... ? There is a Morgan going very slowly it is pulling off .... etc. Much discussion followed as to which of the two cars it was! Well as one was bright red and the other a distinctive blue it was somewhat strange that there was any doubt surely?

As the field arrived at Brooklands Graeme was down in sixth and not looking very racy, while sure enough the red car failed to appear. Second lap and the blue one was even further back and thereafter also disappeared from view.

While these events were probably distressing for the participants, it did mean that I could get an early start home, so it was not all bad news.

I did not hang around to find out the cause of the double retirement, but witnessed the Plant car returning on a breakdown truck.

What went wrong with the red car? I do not know but this may be a clue.

You can't get the staff ... can you?

:) :lol: :oops: [-X

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: MG90

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I understand Bryants had a clutch problem but pulled back to finish 3rd with Olly in practice easily breaking the Mog lap record. Plants (in the famous 43 MOG) got bumped at first corner and retired :(
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

Sorry not to see you on Sunday afternoon - but if you left early you missed a stunning recovery by Ollie Bryant.

Poor Richard got hit at the very first corner (Copse) after making a good start by a kamikaze Porsche Boxster driver going for an imaginary gap which never existed.

He tried to get inside Richard and went down the length of the offside of the Morgan hitting the o/s front wheel which deflated the tyre and bent the track rod before spearing off towards the outside of Copse.

He rejoined and Richard retired which meant Will didn't get to race. Fortunately it looks as if 43 MOG is not too badly damaged.

But boy were we all jolly cross...

Meanwhile Graham limped 1 MOG round until he could come in for the earliest driver change. The pin had dropped out of the clutch pedal shaft and they were able to re-insert it and send Ollie out. I think he was 17th at this point and 2 laps behind the leader...

Needless to say it was great to see the Morgan thundering round, overtaking everything in sight and unlapping himself until on the last lap he got up to 3rd and I am sure with another couple of laps would have won the race!

So ye of little faith left early! As the commentator said that was a lesson in not giving up...

Brilliant!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Clearly the plonker in the Porsche was to blame, as one can see from Richards in car picture, and here he is again at the Complex a lap or so later.

Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards