Races for Morgan +4s and 4/4s

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Races for Morgan +4s and 4/4s

Post by John Clarke »

Chris has kindly set up a separate section for those of us with 4 cylinder Morgans and a competition bent. To set the ball running, it would be good to hear what races/series our cars are competing in and what we think of the series.

Being a public forum, anyone can view the posts, but should you wish to make a submission, you will first need to register.

Here's some series that I am aware that welcome our cars:

MMCC http://www.mogsport.net
HSCC http://www.hscc.org.uk/Championships.htm
Gentleman Drivers http://www.themastersseries.com/gtm/index.html
Top Hat http://www.tophatracing.co.uk/bob.html
Equippe GTS http://www.historique.freeserve.co.uk

There are also quite often one off races run by the host club which welcome our cars

AMOC http://www.amoc.org/
BDC http://www.bdcl.org/HomeFrame.htm

On more an immediate front, there is:

Silverstone 19th Aug BDC "Morgan TT". Entry now full
Zandvoort 9/10 Sept There maybe opportunities to race our cars. If anyone knows anything, please post.

john
Charles Neal

Post by Charles Neal »

Excellent idea chaps, should prove very useful.

Re Zandvoort, I think the person to contact is Machiel Kalf. machielkalf@hetnet.nl He is organising a special race, but it's only for TR Plus 4s, at least that's what he told me :(
Philip McKelvey

Post by Philip McKelvey »

John
The HSCC has 7 4cylinder Morgans registered and 5 Plus 8's, running in 3 championships.

May see you at BDC next weekend.
Regards
Philip
Mark Shears

Races for 4 cylinder Mogs

Post by Mark Shears »

Happy New Year to all Mog racers - whether on the flat or up the hills!

John, thanks to your encouragement and the experience of the wonderfull TT race at Silverstone I have joined the HSCC and am going to compete in their Historic Roadsports Series which kicks off at Donington on 31st March. I hope there will be other Plus Fours to compete with although unfortuneately Dave Threadington has gracefully retired to spend more time mentoring his young Grandson who is looking forward to a very competitive year ahead racing motorcycles - Dave's first love.

I had the privilege over the Christmas break to be able to view the hidden Morgan Challenge section whilst over at a fellow racing chums house and see there has been some discussion concerning encouraging more 4 cylinder competitors to join, even occasionally, the Challenge series. Is it possible you could post some or all (depending on censorship) of the discussion so that less fortunate 4 cylinder owners than myself can be party to the opinions expressed? You never know, it might even encourage some of them to take part!

Cheers,

Mark
Philip McKelvey

Post by Philip McKelvey »

Hello Mark
Welcome to the Morgan race world, I look forward to meeting you at the HSCC meeting where you should find at least 3 other 4cylinder Morgans, and possibly 3 Plus 8's in the Historic Roadsports. I run my Plus 8 in the 70's Roadsports along with front runners Richard Thorne and Paul Conway.
I hope to bring my 65 Mustang out in either the Historic Roadsports or the Classic Sportscar series depending on final specification and if I can get it to go round corners.
Look forward to seeing you
Regards
Philip McKelvey
phil
Charles Neal

Post by Charles Neal »

Do we know any dates yet, eg Bentley Drivers, Zandvoort? I'm quite keen do a few races if I'm available
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Philip,

I look forward to meeting you at our first race of the new season -especially in the Mustang! I must say this is one of the things I like about the HSCC series, the variety of cars competing in the different series.

Charles, some of the dates are already out including the BDC Silverstone meeting and unfortunately the date of AUGUST 4TH clashes with not only the HSCC meeting at Castle Combe but also the Speedmog Morgan sprint at Goodwood - typical, who said you can't have too much of a good thing!

Cheers,

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark

Happy new year

I suggest you contact Chris Acklam, who looks after the forum, for access to the Challenge section.

best wishes john
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

Hello one and all

This is my first post to the Forum - prompted by the conversation about Plus 4 racing. I race a Plus 4 in the HSCC's Historic Roadsports and so look forward to seeing Mark on the grid at Donington on March 31st.

I have only been racing the Plus 4 for one season but am totally enthralled by it. Sadly it wasn't healthy enough to do the BDC race last August so I was really looking forward to doing the race this year and racing against similar cars. As has been noted above for 2007 the BDC race clashes with the HSCC meeting at Castle Combe so I'll miss out this year as well as the HSCC is the priority for me. However, I remain keen to race other four cylinder Morgan's (without being lapped by hot Plus 8s after three laps) so can anyone say what moves there may be to promote more four cylinder racing ?

Cheers for now.

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark

I think there is a lot of enthusiasm from +4 owners to race against each other. However, there are not sufficient to have our own race series - also its a large undertaking. Therefore we are always going to be mixed in with other cars.

We could have an unofficial championship taking in races from HSCC GTS Equippe and such like if there were interest. We need to be mindful of the fact that registration charges could make it overly expensive to compete across championships - again, I am sure this could be overcome somehow.

What I suggest is....once the date for each championship are announced, we could see if there are a few races that many +4s might enter, do a straw poll and see what the response is. We could then approach the championship organisers to see if we could get some dispensation from registration fees.

At the end of the day, I agree with you, it is good to race against other +4s. The TT was the first race I had done in 10 years where there were more than a couple of +4s on the grid.

Best of luck with the HSCC - I hope to do the odd one if time and money permit

best wishes

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John and Mark ( I think it keeps things simple in 4 cylinder racing if we just stick to these two names!)

I look forward to having a fellow Plus 4 competitor on the grid at the HSCC Donington meeting but I think I will have to miss the Castle Combe meeting in favour of the BDC Silverstone meeting - unless John there is not going to be another TT this year?

I have had an invitation from the BDC to their new HQ just up the road from me here in Banbury - I'm sure you will have had one too. I will certainly try and go so if you can't make it and there is anything you want me to bring up let me know.

That TT race was so much fun - especially with all the ACs and MGs etc mixed in but what about a 4 cylinder race at the MSCC organised race meeting at Mallory Park? If there are not enough 4 cyl. Mogs we could invite any TRs or MGs or similar competing in the other classes - or has this already been thought of, and rejected?

Cheers

Mark
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

Hi
Just thought i would also show my support for 4 cylinder competition,i have been competing in the speed championship for 6 years and thought it was about time i had a go at some circuit racing, i have nearly got my car ready (1993 T16 +4) and i have my licence,all i need now is some events! can anyone help with any dates and venues?

David Frow
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

David,

Come and have a go in the Morgan Challenge series there are other Plus 4's racing, two of which started racing last year.

We are just waiting for our dates to be finalized, then they will be posted on Brakehorse Power.

You will not meet a more friendly bunch of people. :)

Richard.
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

Richard

Thank you , i look forward to meeting you all, i have sent an e mail to Kate O G about joining the Morgan Challenge.

David
Mark Gilbart-Smith

Post by Mark Gilbart-Smith »

David,
We have already spoken and I look forward to another +4 to race against in the championship, this being me second season.
I have submitted my entry for the VSCC's Pomeroy Trophy which is open to all VSCC members in any vehicle on Feb 24th. £140 (i think) for 40 mins track time and associated driving tests in the morning - represents good value.
Hope to see you there.
Mark