Want A Watch

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
Bob Bull

Want A Watch

Post by Bob Bull »

Matthew Humphries is a British Established Automotive designer, whose work is recognised on an international level. After leaving the Morgan Motor Company as their Chief Designer and setting up Matthew Humphries Design, Matthew has combined his extensive knowledge and skills, with his passion for watches, in designing MHD's first limited edition watch collection.

MHD Watch design focuses on producing an elegant timepiece to compliment any classic or modern vehicle collection. With a distinct style and emphasis on luxury, each watch is personally handmade and put together by Matthew and his partner Penelope Jordan, using high quality watch components in customizing the Classic Seiko Automatic Watch into an individual unique timepiece. MHD watches start from £220.

All MHD Watches use high quality watch components in customizing the Classic Seiko Automatic Watch into an individual timepiece. All MHD Watches are limited in production.

Now you know why your Morgan runs like a Swiss watch.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
machiel kalf

Re: Want A Watch

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Bob,

Good to hear from you! It's not a secret that about 80% of the people who love classic cars are interested in watches as well. For that reason you see so many adverts of all kind of watch brands in car magazines. So I am not surprised about the watches made by Matthew.

I am a little bit surprised about the movement inside (I am not saying that there is something wrong with the quality!!) but most manufactorers use Swiss Made movements. In modern times ETA movements (ETA is part of the Swatch Group) are not easy available. ETA delivers/ produces movements for there own brands like Omega, Longines, Certina etc. etc. and not for others any more. For that reason brands like Breitling etc. are producing there own movements.

The price of the watch isn't very high. Have you bought one?

Best regards,

Machiel Kalf
Profession: Teacher of Watchmaking, Holland.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Good to hear from you Machiel, clearly a watch, and Morgan enthusiast.

I do not possess a Matthew time piece, I wear my late father's Roamer Popular with a 17 jewel movement. This was presented to him in 1961 by staff who worked under him when he left to move to another post. I have to wind it up every day, but it still keeps good time, and is a constant reminder of Dad.
I have the original letter that accompanied the gift thanking Mr Bull for being such a good boss.

I hope this little bit of watch history is of interest.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Regards
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Bob,

What a very nice reply! A watch of your Dad1 How great that is. Yes, I know the brandname Roamer. Maybe you have one that can't be opend from the backside. Did you ever asked a watchmaker to service the watch? New glasses are very difficult to find.

Wish you a lot of fun with this old, but interesting watch!! Enjot!

Best regards,

Machiel.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Machiel the watch can be opened, it has notches around the rear plate for a tool of some kind, no doubt you have such an item. It has a number 33 within a circle on he back and a serial (?) number 9089. Around the back plate is reads; Stainless Steel Back - Swiss - Waterprotected - Supershock - Antimagnetic.

I hope that these details are of interest to you as a watch enthusiast, because I expect the rest of the members are wondering what this is all about :lol:

Perhaps it's age make it Historic or Classic, but not I think Vintage.

Regards,

Bob.
Regards
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

HALLO BOB,

Well stainless steel means of course that case back is made of stainless steel. But, in that time it wasn't what it is today! In that time it was normal a combination of steel chrome and nickel. In modern times nickel isn't longer allowed.

Anti magnetic means that the watch is "protected" against maganetic fields with a strengt of about 60 Oersted. That isn't very strong.
Waterproof: The water keeps the water outside till a pressure of 3 atm.

The numbers are unknow to me.

Maybe it is a good idea to give the watch a complete service. With some luck it will run for another 50 years. Enjoy your Vintage watch.

best regards, Machiel.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

hokay, revered teacher of watchmaking (albeit only Holland--is there a dutch cuckoo clock?)
There are many expensive watches in the paddock, some even worn by the slower drivers.
Did Hublot ever sell any of the Morgan Big bang??
peter
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Peter,

To be honest with you, I have no idea if there is ever sold a Morgan BIG Bang Hublot watch...........

Well, there are several teachers of watchmaking in the UK as well. With schools in Birmingham and Manchester (Manchester is a WOSTEP school. That's a school based on a Swiss school program, supported by the Swiss watch industry.)

No, we don't have a cuckoo clock "industry" in Holland but several watch brands. They produce watches in Holland!! For exampel Christiaan van der Klaauw, van der Gang, Oostwegel and Grönefeld.

Enjoy your own watch,

Machiel.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Quite happy with Casio – powered by sunshine, always exact time (atomic) so ideal for car rallies, waterproof…. :)
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Leigh,

What a confesion! I was expecting at least a mechanical watch on your wrist. A Rolex suites you the best ( I think, ha,ha,..!)

Thanks for your reply,

Machiel
Alan House
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Alan House »

Hello

I've had several 'Skagen' Danish designed watches and loved them all mainly because they are ultra slim and light to wear. But on special occasions I love wearing my fathers solid gold Omega 'Seamaster' presented to him, according to the engraving, by his 'Mombasa and Ropley' colleagues in c1950. The main problem is the cost of keeping it going due to the astronomic service costs. Incidentally, if he'd successfully persuaded my mother at that time, the family would have emigrated to Rhodesia! I'm glad we stayed in the UK! I also have my great grandfather's solid gold 'half hunter' fob watch and chain which I rarely wear now, shame.

Best regards

housie
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Housie

The Omega "Semaster" you mentioned is an icon in the watch world. It's a "duty" the keep it going. Yes, it cost "some money", but if you realise how many hours a good qualified watchmaker need to take it apart, clean and check all the components/ parts. Replace worn parts by newones. Put everything together, Check the functions, adjust the escapement, oiling/ grease all the locations that need to be lubricated, adjust the precision, put the restored movement together, case it, polish the case, maybe a new original glass and crown, cleaning case and strap ( in case the strap is made from metal), waterproof test, controle the watch during some days etc. etc.

Here you see it takes time. The "problem" is that most people can't compare the price with a small item like a watch. Small object, small price, ha, ha,........ But it's the time you have to pay for. And ofcourse the new (original) parts.

Enjoy your watches,

Machiel.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

"But on special occasions I love wearing my fathers solid gold Omega 'Seamaster' presented to him, according to the engraving, by his 'Mombasa and Ropley' colleagues in c1950."

Makes my Dad's old Roamer look a bit shabby, shame on you Housie!!! :mrgreen:
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob,
I have in mind an old TV advert for the premium Russian Watchmaker Sekonda with a beaming Ronnie Barker where the soundbite was
"Beware of expensive imitations "
peter
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Peter,

I had the idea that SEKONDA was an English brand. I remember a race weekend at Zandvoort. SEKONDA was the main sponsor of the Morgan (race) event. Time flies........

Enjoy the racing drivers weekend,

Machiel.