HSCC for 4 Cylinder Morgans

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC for 4 Cylinder Morgans

Post by John Clarke »

There are a few Morgan +4s racing in this series. Please post your comments here.

Their website can be found at

http://www.hscc.org.uk/

The calendar for 2007 has also been published. This has been amended following Marks advice (see post below)

Donington 15th April
Cadwell 22nd April
S'stone 12th May
Snet 9/10th June
Brands 30/1 July **** SuperPrix****
S'stone 27/29 July **** Classic *****
C'tle Combe 4th Aug
Oulton Pk 25/27th Aug **** Gold Cup ****
Tour Britania 4/6th Sept
Brands 15th Sept
Spa 5/7th Oct
S'stone 20th Oct **** Finals ****

Would be good to hear who's planning to do what

john
Last edited by John Clarke on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

Hi John

I have a 1993 + 4, can i enter in any of the events that you have posted?

David Frow
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

Hi David

Certainly the Morgan Challenge and the TT - perhaps not the HSCC and Masters Series. Not sure about Equipe GTS - you might wish to take a look at the regs.

As all Morgans look old, you often find that we're allowed into historic based championships -Some 'modern' +8s managed to get into the Heritage series for example.

If your car doesn't appear eligible its always worth contacting the championship organiser direct. After all, if the grid is not full, it can be hard to turn an old looking Morgan away!! Where FIA/HTP papers are required, you may come a cropper though

Please let everyone know how you get on as I am sure others will be interested with what the organisers say.

best of luck

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

You are quite right John although I think even the Equipe series looks for FIA papers. The HSCC have their own Vehicle Identification Documents and have a strict technical criteria that the cars must comply with.

I am not the person to throw much light on this as although I have registered for the Historic Roadsports series my first race is at Donington on 31st March! However I am sure Mark Hoble could enlighten us as he competed in this same series last season.

As you are aware there are several Plus 8 drivers including Philip McKelvey, Richard Thorne and Paul Conway competing in the 70's Roadsports class and Mark Hoble tells me there are a handful of 4 cylinder Mogs competing in the Historic Roadsports class - me too!

I think Richard Plant is right when he suggests to David Frow that he joins the Morgan Challenge series - he will be very welcome and I know Mark Gilbart-Smith really enjoyed his first season with them in his ex-works M16 Plus 4.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

[quote="Mark Shears"]"You are quite right John although I think even the Equipe series looks for FIA papers. The HSCC have their own Vehicle Identification Documents and have a strict technical criteria that the cars must comply with.

I am not the person to throw much light on this as although I have registered for the Historic Roadsports series my first race is at Donington on 31st March! However I am sure Mark Hoble could enlighten us as he competed in this same series last season."

The HSCC run Historic Roadsports (pre 1970) and 70s Roadsports (pre 1980). FIA papers are not required although as has been said the club requires each car to conform with its technical regulations and to have an HSCC identity form. The regulations are designed to keep the cars fairly close to standard - although it is amazing how quick some of them are and stay within the regs !

We would certainly be very happy to see more Plus 4s out with us in 2007.

Mark Hoble
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

I made some enquiries to the HSCC regarding entries for later model Morgans ie my 1993 +4 here is what they said......
We are very sorry but none of our championships cater for cars newer than 1980, and the regulations for 70s road sports (which is the championship a later Morgan would fit in) particularly state built & registered before 31-12-1979.
So we will be unable to accommodate your car I'm afraid.

Kind Regards

Martin Atack
HSCC race administration

David Frow
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi David,

I am not surprised the HSCC will not let you come and play but John is right to say you can compete in the Morgan Challenge series (if we knew the dates) and the TT (we know that date!).

Would your car be eligible for the Thoroughbred Sports Car series? I think Andy Green would know.

Cheers

Mark
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Yes and very welcome into the Thoroughbred series
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

I have e -mailed Pam for details of the Thoroughbred series, do they have a class for cars with a similar BHP as my +4 ?
Thanks for all your help and comments , i feel i am getting somewhere now ( just got to finish the car now!).
David
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

"I am not surprised the HSCC will not let you come and play but John is right to say you can compete in the Morgan Challenge series (if we knew the dates) and the TT (we know that date!)."

The HSCC calendar has been revised. The first race (Donington) is now on 15th April. The Castle Combe race on 4th August is not listed as counting towards the Historic Roadsports Championship. This is odd and a departure from previous years which I will check out. However, if true I will skip the Castle Combe round in favour of the TT.

Mark
Mark Shears

Revised Dates

Post by Mark Shears »

Thank you Mark for flagging this up.

It makes the first meeting of the new HSCC season at Donington a bit close to the second race at Cadwell which is only a week later but it can't be helped.

At least you have now got less of an excuse for not competing in the TT now that we do not have a race at Castle Combe!

Cheers

Mark
Mark Hoble

Race your Plus 4 at the Silverstone Classic !

Post by Mark Hoble »

"At least you have now got less of an excuse for not competing in the TT now that we do not have a race at Castle Combe!"

Hot news from the HSCC. There will be a roadsports race at the Silverstone Classic (practice Friday, races Saturday and Sunday). As Castle Combe is only a week later the HSCC decided to give people the chance to race at the Silverstone Classic on the GP circuit in a non-championship race and skip Combe this year.

So, if my car holds out I'll be dong the Classic and the TT in successive weekends !

Mark Hoble
simon king

Post by simon king »

Hi,

I'm hoping to race my +4 this year in the Historic Road Sports so glad to see that there are going to be other Morgans too. I look forward to meeting you all. I also hope to take part in the Morgan TT this year too.

Since this is going to be my first year racing in this series, and having only done 2 races previously in HRSR, I am seeking advice on tyre choice. In your collective experience is there a favoured tyre? Would the Dunlop L be a sensible compromise from an App. K/tyre that can be used in other series perspective?

thanks,

Simon
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

" I'm hoping to race my +4 this year in the Historic Road Sports so glad to see that there are going to be other Morgans too. I look forward to meeting you all. I also hope to take part in the Morgan TT this year too.

Since this is going to be my first year racing in this series, and having only done 2 races previously in HRSR, I am seeking advice on tyre choice. In your collective experience is there a favoured tyre? Would the Dunlop L be a sensible compromise from an App. K/tyre that can be used in other series perspective? "

Simon,

The tyres have to be road legal and listed in the MSA blue book. The Dunlops aren't road legal. So, depending on the rims you have your best bet is the Yokohama or Avon. Most of us run Yokohama 48s but the Avon is the better all round tyre especially for wet conditions.

Great to hear that you are coming out in HRS. There should be quite a gaggle of Morgan four cylinder cars to play with !

See you at Donington.

Kind regards

Mark
simon king

Post by simon king »

Thanks Mark for the info. In the HRS regs it says that Dunlop L's are by application, so I figured these would likely be ok, but by the same token I was also interpreting 'tyres listed for production saloon or sports car' from the Blue book to only be listed under 3.1.1. List IA. I had not appreciated that this includes those under 3.1.2 List IB, i.e. the Yokohama 48s and I guess the Avon CR6ZZ?

Simon