I'm Sure I Know That Face.

Race chatter
Bob Bull

I'm Sure I Know That Face.

Post by Bob Bull »

Keen eyed types might recognise someone featured in the this article.

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.out ... reserved=0
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: I'm Sure I Know That Face.

Post by SimonScott »

Fascinating Bob. Pleased to see your experience retold in such a well-known magazine.
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Simon, earlier this year I received an email from the chap who wrote the article, asking if I would give an interview on my experience in 1955. He had been commissioned to write a piece on the accident for Road & Track's 100th Le Mans Anniversary edition, and was asked if he could find any eye witness to the event. As he told me, his first thought was 'Fat chance'! Somehow he found my name, and sent the email, seeing no reason to refuse I said yes. The rest is history, as they say.
There may well be other people who witnessed the accident, but I suppose that my name came up because I am still involved, in my small way, with motor sport. Anyway I was merely a spectator, and while it is nice to see my story in print, I can take no pride from it. Mind you the photographer was a very attractive, young lady!!

Bob.
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Yes, a truly tragic event Bob.
Have you Chris Nixon's fabulous "Mon Ami Mate" tome? That devotes many insightful pages to the event and its aftermarth. Worth tracking down a copy if you don't have one already, especially as you were a Hawthorn fan...
The journalist was lucky he found you. As you say, there cannot be many eye witnesses around now. Every cloud has a silver lining and yours was obviously having the full attention of an attractive female photographer! Hope high blood pressure is not one of your problems... :lol:
We will be at the centenary event this year, first time I have been since 1999.... \:D/
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Hi All
Just seen this most interesting post. We had talked in the past about your experience at Le Mans that fateful year Bob, but to see it in writing and in graphic detail in print gives it more gravitas! My thoughts are that it was just another tragic racing accident; a series of unfortunate happenings coming together at the wrong time. As to the decision to carry on the race, it seems awful in retrospect but as you point out, the alternative would have had a heap more repurcussions! As to Hawthorn's celebrating by drinking the champagne, it reminds me of Hamilton's celebrations at Silverstone when he won having arguably shunted Verstappen into the barriers at copse! How much safer is the sport today. I hope, Bob, you didn't venture to compliment the photographer on her looks; do you remember a certain lawyer being taken to court accused of 'sexism' over a post on - was it Linked-in or another platform!
Hope to meet up at Silverstone in August
Best wishes
Alan

bob
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I know someone who has entered an Osca at LMC 2023 and the car raced in 1955 LM and was hit by Moss when avoiding debris. I have some pics
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh, there was only one OSCA entered for he race, a private entry by an American, Edgar Fronteras. The drivers were Guilo Cabianca, and Giuseppe Scorbati. Cabianca was a quite well known driver, very experienced. The car finished in11th place on 256 laps.19 cars were classified as finishers and two cars failed to cover sufficient laps to be classified, despite making it through the 24 hours.

Bob.
Regards
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Bob,

What a story! Thanks for showing the old documents. Safe all of this! Thanks, Machiel Kalf.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Machiel, I'm glad you enjoyed the article, I am happy to be able to add some insight on what was a terrible day for motor sport. I do wonder what to do with the ticket and such, as no one in the family is interested, and, in a way are of historic interest, especially when linked to the story, they might even be quite valuable. Some people collect very odd things, old Morgans for example.

Bob.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Really interesting article Bob.

You have spoken to me about it before and with me having just finished reading the biography of Lance Macklin doubly interesting.

Cheers,

Mark
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hi Bob,

To be honest, I didn't had any idea that your stuff is for sale. Do you come to Mogfest at Brooklands? If so, maybe we can discuss the options.

Best regards, Machiel.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I also have finished reading the Lance Macklin story......more of a novel than a biography. But still enjoyable.

It made me re visit Nixon's book "mon ami mate" and also Stirling Moss, Alf Francis and Mike Hawthorn's biogs....much more factual (?) and less embellished.

Le Mans start "by a pistol" was the biggest no-no but the Facel Vega connection and the HWM stories were interesting.
I think recollections from people who were acturally there brings history to life, however appaling.

Thanks Bob for your memories.

cheers
john
8-)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Hi, John, I still recall a few 'adventures' we had together. That was before your Transportation to Australia, of course, thank goodness we no longer rely on schooners to bring us news from Down Under.

Should anyone would like to know how motorsport was back in the 50's then I can recommend the following books, all full of anecdotes, and memories of some of the characters of the time;

Touch Wood by Duncan Hamilton. Very informative of the times and many of the 'incidents' worthy of a Monty Python sketch. My first copy was worn out so I had to buy anther copy. I can't be without one.

Stirling Moss by Robert Raymond, the first on Moss, and covers his career up until 1953 when it was published. fantastic detail of the life of a racing driver in the 50's. another book I will not part with.

Challenge me the Race, by Mike Hawthorn, so different to modern Wonder Boys. Once again memories of events long forgotten.

Champion Year by Mike Hawthorn, Mike's final season, winning the World Championship in 1958 and dying in January 1959.

Moss would have been World Champion that year but for one thing. When Hawthorn was threatened with disqualification, Moss gave evidence to prove his innocence, had he not he would have won the title. In 1958 it was a 'sport'.

Regarding Le Mans. Before leaving home for France Mom and Dad gave me new wrist watch for my upcoming birthday. I proudly wore this on the trip, but on passing through Customs at Croydon airport, a Customs officer grabbed my wrist and demanded to know where I and got a brand new shiny watch from. I think my horrified expression, and stumbling explanation convinced him I was not an International Watch Smuggler, and he let me through without charge. Oh, the dangers of foreign travel.

Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Hi Bob,

To be honest, I didn't had any idea that your stuff is for sale. Do you come to Mogfest at Brooklands? If so, maybe we can discuss the options.

Best regards, Machiel.
Machiel, I have not thought of selling the items, it was just a passing notion when replying to you post. With four daughters I can't see any of them wanting to keep 'Dad's old rubbish' but it would be a shame for it to be dumped in a bin with all the other 'rubbish'. I have no idea who might be interested in such bits of history.

I might get to Mogfest, but not very sure.
regards,
Bob.
Regards