1963 4/4 series v pre cross-flow.

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
peter rafter

1963 4/4 series v pre cross-flow.

Post by peter rafter »

1963 4/4 1500 series v pre cross-flow with racing and rallying history failed to sell at Race retro Classics at Silverstone. It looks in exceptional condition and previously had FIA papers. Ex or still Marriott?.
Price estimate optimistic but many other lots failed to sell. Is the market fading?.
No personal interest other than coveting.
regards
peter
machiel kalf

Re: 1963 4/4 series v pre cross-flow.

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Peter,

Do you have information of the seller? Auction house? I am interested in a type of Morgan like this.

Thanks in advance, Machiel.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Machiel
Iconic Auctioneers
catalogue entry as per below…
√This superbly presented Series V Ford 1,498cc Pre-Crossflow, offered fresh to market from 17 years of private ownership, has led a fascinating life. Offered here is a rather special Morgan that has led an eventful life and is well known in Morgan circles. Privately owned since 2008, XVS 379 is a 4/4 two-seat Series V with a tuned 1,500cc pre-crossflow Ford unit that was rebuilt in the late 1990s for classic rallying using virtually 100% new parts.After this, the Morgan was subsequently prepared for circuit racing with a powerful Zetec engine fitted in 2000. Results were impressive, with XVS winning the 2000 Morgan Race Series at Silverstone in the seventh and final leg, having achieved fastest laps in class in every round.The car was then sold and used as road car from 2002 but the call of competition echoed once again and, in 2006, it was converted back to 1,500cc pre-crossflow for classic rallying. At the end of 2006/early 2007 it was professionally prepared by Brands Hatch Morgan for the Classic Marathon in Norway in 2007, netting a remarkable seventh place in a particularly gruelling rally.Life continued at a fast pace for XSV, becoming 'Miss November' in the Morgan Calendar of 2008, competing in some club events, entered at Gaydon in August 2010 and, on 18th April 2011 was one of only seven cars given the privilege to test the new Donington Circuit and completed some 28 laps.The specification as it sits today is impressive and includes:All-aluminium body and wingsFord STR4 OHV 1,498ccTwin 40 DCOE Webers, oil coolerClose-ratio Ford gearboxAli under-trays, plumbed in fire extinguisher systemRoll-over bar and full four-point harnessPrevious FIA papers with Historic Passport and more.With its fascinating provenance and offering access to an array of events, tours and general fast road use, this very cool Morgan is ready for its next lucky owner.Specification Make: MORGAN Model: 4/4 Year: 1963 Chassis Number: B818 Registration Number: XSV 379 Transmission: Manual Engine Number: 116E6015 Drive Side: Right-hand Drive Odometer Reading: 15876
lovely condition but bidders thought it expensive
but as my grandmother used to say " the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten". Perhaps we can follow this up?
older aficionados and member of the Challenge series would be able to expand on the 2000 win at Silverstone
regards
peter
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Peter,

THANKS for your reply. I think that a car like this is interesting for people who love to start racing. I shall see what to do. To be honest, I am more keen to find an original Series V with a standard engine. I shall contact the Auction house.

Do we see you at the Goodwood Members Meeting?

Best wishes, Machiel.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

buy it now price including commission is just under £40 k . I would assume a very narrow market for this type of car. it looks great.
Out of my range for a 4/4.
Mary, Andy , Jack , Leigh will know the car, and of course Brett from the Brands Hatch mafia.
Machiel you startled me with mention of Goodwood, and I hurriedly searched the wardrobe for hidden gems, but its only the Members meeting. I suggest the usual suspects will be there.
regards
peter
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hi Peter,

No, you don't need a special outfit Peter, but your self will be a pleasure to meet. The races are always a pleasure to look at, but the people around it are, to my opinion, the cherry on the cake.

All the best, Machiel.