Sad news of Morgan Racer

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Guy Loveridge

Sad news of Morgan Racer

Post by Guy Loveridge »

I am sorry to report that J.S. "Jim" Tucker died on 18th December 2006. Jim bought his first +4 in 1960, raced it and then bought his second in 1963, campaigning it throughout the 1960's including the Ilford Films 500 mile race at Brands, Guards 1000 at Brands (1st Morgan Home) as well as placing and winning the BDC Silverstone Morgan race and setting the first sub 1 min. Morgan time at Curburgh. I'll attach the official obituary here:-
James Stuart “Jim” Tucker, who died far too young on 18th December 2006 at 67, was a life long enthusiast of cars, aeroplanes, airships and hovercraft. Anything mechanical was a thing of wonder and fascination for Jim. His first motor show visit in 1948 made him a life long Morgan enthusiast and his passion for competition led him to a 1956 +4 in 1959 and then a nearly new +4 in 1961 which was upgraded to full Super Sports specification: raced throughout the 1960’s including Guards 1000 and Ilford 500 mile events, and retained to this day. It was joined by a rare Plus 4 + ; brace of three wheelers, of ‘teens and ‘thirties vintages and a trio of Salmson voiturettes. Jim’s Father having rallied, trialled and raced the Characteristic French marque before the Second World War. The 21st Century saw Jim using the Salmson and Morgans for events as varied as Brooklands Reunions and the Centenary of the Circuit des Ardennes.
Jim was an Imperial Scholar, following his Father’s lead and worked for Hunting Aviation and became the youngest ever Main board member of Vickers Engineering, under Sir Leonard Renshaw. Jim took the reins of Slingsby Aviation and Engineering in the early 1970’s and remained in Yorkshire from then on. Credit him with airships and hovercraft in James Bond films; the World’s First GRP sub-sea pressure vessel; saving Europa Aviation from the liquidator, and making the first sub 1 minute lap of Curborough in a Morgan, as well as winning once and placing 3 times in the Morgan Race at the Bentley Driver’s Club Silverstone meeting.
Jim leaves his wife Jennifer, twin brother John, four nieces and nephews and MANY friends and colleagues who will all miss his advice, help, comradeship and presence hugely
Andy Garlick

Post by Andy Garlick »

Guy
Thank you very much or letting us know about this sad news , if you are in contact with the family please pass on my condolences. I met Jim a few times at Croft and Silverstone back in the 60s and 70s when we were both racing for real in +4s along with Mike Ashley-Brown and even went o his home on one occasion with the new owner of the Ashley-Brown car . He was always much faster than I, but very generous in his help and comments as to how I might improve enough to beat him. He was one of life's gentlemen, and the world is a sadder place for his passing, his type is all too rare these days.
I wil long remember his orange +4 (I must admit I had always assumed it was a full Super Sports), one lives and one learns.
Kind regards
Andy
Ex +4 racer
Mogman
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Yes – sad news. I met him a few times as he was an enthusiastic +4+ owner and brought his car along to Oswestry when I organised a +4+ grouping. He was also very knowledgeable on the 1960s +4 race scene.

Leigh