4/4 Tyres

Technical queries or suggestions
Simon Moore

4/4 Tyres

Post by Simon Moore »

I'll be needing some tyres for my 4/4 soon, size 165/80 15. The options I can find so far are: Continental; Firestone; Michelin XZX; Kuhmo 758; Toyo 330.
I'm looking for something from List 1A and the use will be sprint, trackday and touring.
Can anyone recommend, advise me to avoid or suggest an alternative I may have missed?
Thanks, Simon
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Go and buy some Avon CR6 ZZ. Standard fitment to Morgans of your type. Yes they are List 1B in the blue book, but read your sprint regs carefully and apply for an exemption :wink:

Buy them from BMTR in Birmingham

Cheers

Tim
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

I use the Avons and can recomend them, there are 2 compounds available, if your using them for road use and sprints, I'd go for the soft compound, but if your going to use them for track days i would go for the harded compound.
Richard Smith

tyres

Post by Richard Smith »

Toyo Proxes T1R's seem a good option, many of us use them.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
john bevan

tyre pressures

Post by john bevan »

I have invested in some Toyo proxes to replace my sticky Kumhos which are now dead. Any suggestions for cold pressures for sprints?
(They are 185x55x15)

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Richard Smith

pressures

Post by Richard Smith »

This is something you will have to experiment with John. Basicallly, you need the tyre tread to stay flat on the tarmac, which usually involves increasing the pressures to keep the tyrewalls stiffer. I ran mine at around 30 psi. However with my current Yoko's, I have dropped the pressures to 20, which is surprisingly low. Another reason why we have a couple of practice runs in sprints!
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
john bevan

tyre pressures

Post by john bevan »

Thanks Richard- will I go as fast as you now?

see you at Curborough,

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

I agree with Richard, tyre pressures differ from circuit to circuit, dependent upon how grippy the surface is, and therefore how much lateral force you apply to the tyre.

However, when I ran the +8 on Proxes' at the Goodwood Sprint, I ended up at a cold pressure of 28 psi, front and rear, although in your case, a lighter car may result in a lower cold pressure.

Start in the high twenties and work up and down from there.

Simon