Oulton Park Gold Cup 25th,26th & 27th August

Races, track days, testing ...
Mark Shears

Oulton Park Gold Cup 25th,26th & 27th August

Post by Mark Shears »

Got my final instructions this morning and I see from the entry list that there are several Morgans competing over the weekend.

In addition to Mark Hoble and myself in Historic Roadsports there is also Simon King and Jonathan Rushton in their Plus Fours and Bruce Stapleton is at present listed as a reserve in his Plus 8.

Paul Conway is competing in his Plus 8 in 70's Roadsports and in the Pre-War Sports Car Race the dynamic duo of Leigh Sebba and John Clarke are racing the Le Mans 4/4 and Adrian van der Kroft is racing in his.

A good Morgan turnout. Look forward to seeing any supporters of the marque in Cheshire next weekend!

Cheers

Mark
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

good luck mark, how did you get on at silverstone ?
Mark Shears

Silvertone

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim,

Mixed fortunes! In the Classic Meeting the rotor arm failed in practice on the Friday but fortuneately I had done enough laps to qualify for the first race on Saturday (thank you so much Brett - from Brands Hatch Morgans - for coming to my rescue with a replacement.)

Race 2 on Sunday was cut short when petrol started spraying out of the bonnet louvres and I later discovered that the union to the front Weber carburettor had come undone. Always check your nuts!

By an even greater stroke of luck,when I came to load the Morgan on the trailor I found a large pool of oil under the gearbox. It transpired that the front oil seal had blown. Philip Tisdall helped me drop the gearbox out and Richard Walbyoff of RW Racing Services fitted a new one the next day - while I waited.

However when Philip and I were about to put the gearbox back in Philip was horrified to find that the splines in the muff coupling on the cardon shaft were almost completly stripped. And it was brand new from the factory and had only done 4,000 miles.

I rang Chas. Windridge at Mogsport - who was still working at 7o'clock at night and fortuneately he had a spare one. So Philip and I shot over to Chas and Helens home and picked it up. We fitted it the following evening and I was on the grid for the BDC Silverstone TT meeting the following day! Had a great race and all was well so looking forward to my first time at Oulton Park this coming weekend.

Well you did ask!!!

Cheers

Mark
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Theres nothing like an old car to keep you busy ! :D
Jon Shanly

Gold Cup - Oulton Park 26th Aug

Post by Jon Shanly »

Hi Mark,

Hope to get to Oulton on SUNday, which is the day that most Mogs are racing. On the Oulton website there is no mention of pre-war sports car race in their event timetable, is it on the Sunday as well?

Is anyone else going up to Oulton?

Jon
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

We shall be there - the Yellow Duster and I. On the stand organised by Norsemog overlooking Cascade.
There should be 6 of us on Sunday and 7 on Monday including a 3 wheeler.

See you there

Tim
Jon Shanly

Oulton Gold Cup

Post by Jon Shanly »

Hi Tim,

I hope you have booked the weather as well, I have a very sad windscreen at the moment, so may be aero screen for the day. You'll ba able to 'tell by the flies in my teeth.

Hope to see U there

Jon
Mark Shears

Gold Cup

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jon,

The Pre War Sports Car Race is listed as the Legends Race. Practice is first thing Monday morning and the race is 12.20. It is a 60 minute race.

If anyone want a ticket for Monday - see me as I will be at Colerne on Monday with the Sprint boys!

Cheers

Mark
Jon Shanly

Oulton Gold Cup Wk end

Post by Jon Shanly »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the clarification, I would love to stay over at Oulton, but Monday is 'family day', I think this means I get driven to, which also means I imbibe at, the local Steam Festival. This will involve coming away from the jumble with something useful and cheap, but also something I don't really need and the additional expense, c'est la vie! Gallopers, fresh steam, Welsh coal smoke, sounds more interesting now..... No! Oulton would be more fun!
Maybe with a bit of luck.......and tact!

Regards and good luck at Colerne

Jon