"Equipe"GTS - 2008

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Philip McKelvey

Post by Philip McKelvey »

Hello Mark

If the Equipe series does not have the pit stops for 2 drivers try the CSCC swinging sixties.
I have enjoyed the 40 minute 2 driver format with my son, great way to start with a 'novice' as the experienced driver can do the start and first stint with the novice taking over when things have calmed down.
30 mins qualifying with 40 minute race. lots of track time with reasonable cost.
see http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk

Regards
Philip
phil
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

Ah !!

Two comments and I am struggling to keep up.

Firstly Mark, yes we previously have had pit stop races and especially at the shorter circuits, like Brands Hatch and Mallory Park. The bonus is that two drivers can share one car, in contrast one of the disadvantages is that we have had two ( shall we say "older" drivers ) who forgot to stop at all.

Unlike some other race series, we have a mandatory 30 second stop for single drivers, two driver entries can change drivers and restart as soon as is safe to do so. We have often thought it safer to leave the solo driver strapped-into the car in preference to the getting out - running around the car and getting back in idea.

We have a 30 minute race at Brands Hatch provisionally planned for August 2008, this will be a pit stop race.

Secondly, thanks for the comments Philip. Yes our friends at the Classic Sports Car Club run the "Swinging Sixties" series of pit stop races and quite agree they are perfect for a certain type of car.

Unlike "Equipe"GTS the "Swinging Sixties" allow low profile 50-60 series "sticky" tyres and I believe they must be Yokohama. Not wishing to sound disrespectful to their excellent race series, they also allow glass fibre panels, various engine and suspension modifications, etc. etc. Whilst this is a very popular formula in many clubs and other series, the whole concept of "Equipe"GTS was to replicate period marque racing as it was in the early 1960s – with strictly controlled early 60s type tyres – and cars with original material panels and very limited mechanical modifications.

Cheers,

Jim.

PS………Provisional Calendar should be posted here by the end of this week.
Mark Shears

2 drivers

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Philip,

Thanks for drawing my attention to this series. I like the format, like you, of a 40 minute race that two drivers can share between them - but I also see the point that Jim is making (diplomatically!) about the regs. and the cars that enter.

I have to say that Jims' series suits our older 4 cylinder cars that meet his period requirements - perhaps we can persuade him to consider some longer two driver races in the future? Especially abroad!

Cheers

Mark
Jim Lowry

2008 Provisional Calendar

Post by Jim Lowry »

2008 Provisional Calendar

Typically, it is too early in the year to publish a provisional calendar, however we appreciate many people are thinking of booking holidays, weddings and some are busy planning additions to their families and so we thought it would at least help to give some idea of next year’s planned racing events.

Most of the circuits have been visited before by “Equipe”GTS competitors, with the exception of the brand new GP length circuit at Anglesey. We have heard some excellent reports from those few who have sampled the new 2.1mile GP length circuit, despite its distance from the South of England, we hope to be able to field a good sized grid at this prestigious new venue during next summer.

We can only thank again the staff at the MGCC for their continued support, having offered us a return to their magnificent International meeting at Silverstone along with races at Donington, Brands Hatch and a return to a late summer meeting at Snetterton in support of their very popular 4hour relay race meeting.

Our now regular inclusion as part of the excellent combined classic car and motorcycle CSCC meeting in early April should give us all enough time before our first planned European double header at the ever popular HARC Zandvoort GP circuit in early May and most likely our biggest grid of the year will be in support of the ADAC’s Classic and Youngtimers Festival at Spa Francorchamps in either late July or early August.

All 2008 races will be of 30 minute duration, with double headers at Zandvoort, Spa Francorchamps, Silverstone International, Anglesey and Snetterton in both April and October, single header 30 minute races at Donington and Brands Hatch.

Entry fees will be £295 for all double headers, £195 for single 30 minute races.

We can confirm, FIA / HTP papers will not be required at any of these meetings.

Mar 24th
Donington
1 x 30 Minute "Sprint" race

Apr 5-6th
Snetterton
2 x 30 Minute"Sprint" races

May 3-4th
Zandvoort GP

June 13-15th
Silverstone International

July 5-6th
Anglesey GP

July 26-27th or Aug 2-3rd ( ? )
Spa Francorchamps GP

Sept 7th
Brands Hatch - Indy
1 x 30 Minute "Pit Stop" race

Oct 4-5th
Snetterton

PLEASE BE AWARE . . . . . . All dates and venues are still very provisional

Cheers,

Jim.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the dates for the dates for 2008. looking forward to next year already.

Richard.
Jim Lowry

Re: "Equipe"GTS - 2008

Post by Jim Lowry »

At last it would appear the European circuits have confirmed their dates for this year and we were saddened to hear that our freinds at the ADAC had lost their provisional Spa Francorchamps race meeting which was planned for early August.

We did however accept their very kind offer of two 30 minute "double headers" races at their Zolder GP circuit meeting in early July. This was a very popular circuit with our group the last time we visited and I am sure our return to Zolder will make ammends to losing out at Spa.

A fresh 2008 Calendar follows, but please remember - some dates are still provisional.

Mar 24th
Donington
1 x 30 Minute "Sprint" race

Apr 5-6th
Snetterton

May 3-4th
Zandvoort GP

June 13-15th
Silverstone International

July 5-6th
Zolder GP

July 26-27th or Aug 2-3rd ( ? )
T B A

Sept 7th
Brands Hatch - Indy
1 x 30 Minute "Pit Stop" race

Oct 4-5th
Snetterton

Cheers,

Jim.
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark and John

Would you like to share your thoughts on the Donington Equippe GTS round?

regards

john
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

John,

The Equipe competitors were extremely friendly and I thought that Jim Lowry & Christophe Wilmart organised things very well. My lesson from the race itself was that both myself & the +4 need a lot more preparation & experience before becoming competitive. I placed a lowly last in both practice & the race & could hear the words of Brian Gateson ringing in my head telling me that the mixture of my inexperience, car preparedness & Dunlop racing tyres would consign me to the "back of the grid" club! The racing was enjoyable & gentlemanly although I did have one harrowing incident when the front of the car got clipped by an MGB (fortunately only the spinner) after I was overtaken by five cars at the same time once the Saftey Car pulled off which had sadly picked up me & the other slowest car on the track as leaders, allowing the rest of the field to build up behind us. Also, the grid size of 35 made the track very busy indeed. I'd be interested to know if you & Mark plan to do any other Equipe races?
John Emberson
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John and John,

Only my second race at Donington circuit and a great race to learn it quickly! Those MGBs are quick! But then again I know I need more power! A full width windscreen doesn't help! Even so had some great dices - and that's what it is all about.

Back again with the HSCC this Sunday - but hope to do some more GTS Equipe events hopefully including their invitation race at the big weekend VSCC Donington meeting.

Cheers,

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Well done all, had a quick squiz at the results and you are correct, some of those MGBs are indecently quick - a 1:28 at Donington is a fantastic time from an 1800cc MGB. The only 4 cylinder Mog that I can remember coming close to this time was Alan Wickenden in his early Morgan 4/4 fitted with a 'race' Zetec engine ( .....which is again for sale I noticed at BHM). The Moss Box +8s eventually got down to this sort of time.

Adrian or Keith may have done some banzai laps but they will have to advise.
Rick Bourne

Post by Rick Bourne »

John

Last year at the Masters meeting, Keith did a 27.26 in the SLR in the Gentlemen drivers. I think #-o that we were a second quicker than we had gone in TOK the year before. Dunlops are an aquired taste, the chilly weather would not have helped. Basic rules " If your not sideways, your slow " !!! :twisted:
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Good to hear from you Mr Bourne.....I was only enquiring about you to-day with Mr Conoley......are you doing any racing this year? I'm pleased to learn of a few Mogs that can give those pesky B's a run 8-[
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

It was really good to see Mark and John's Plus 4s at Donington for the first round of the "Equipe"GTS calendar. Both Christophe and I appreciate your kind words and comments and we look forward to seeing some more Morgans on "Equipe"GTS grids at futures rounds.

Yes, could not agree more about the pace of the leading MGBs. However, it has not yet been mentioned the fastest lap of the race at Donington was that of Neil Howe driving his Triumph TR4 with a time of 1.27.146.

Two years ago at Brands Hatch, Dion Kremer set fastest lap in class in the "Equipe"GTS race in his Plus 4 with a time of 59.60 secs. Neil Howe was close behind with a time of 59.90 secs.

Cheers

Jim