MSCC Aero Centre

Races, track days, testing ...
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

MSCC Aero Centre

Post by Phil Egginton »

I put forward a proposal to the national committee of the Morgan Sports Car Club for the formation of a non geographical centre based around the Aero 8 (and in due time Aeromax). I am pleased to say that the proposal was unanimously accepted.

The Aero centre will be open (as all centres) to any full member of the MSCC with a nominal subscription fee to cover newsletters and admin costs.

The aims are:
1. To provide a clear commitment by the MSCC to the Aero
2. To allow the organisation of Aero ‘friendly’ events
3. To provide a technical focus for the sharing of problems and solutions both between owners (and to back to the factory)
4. To encourage Aero owners to become MSCC members
5. To help form a closer association with Club Morgan Aero 8

As this will be a national (if not international) centre then Noggins are likely to be held less regularly and more in the style of a ‘weekend’.

I know that this is a unique approach as the MSCC does not have centres for 4/4, Plus4, Plus 8 etc. However each of the current geographically based centres whilst having a good mix and number of traditional car owners will only have a few Aero’s. This makes the sharing of information and organisation of specific events quite difficult at times. Forming a separate centre should achieve this. A centre as opposed to a register was decided upon. Other car clubs have registers of all their models but these are often just to keep track of cars. A register in name implies a passive list rather than an active membership.

The Aero attracts both existing Morgan owners and people new to the brand. Given Morgan’s limited resources to develop such a technologically complex car, there have understandably been teething and reliability issues. The Aero has had a mixed reception. Negative comments have been and continue to be received. A feeling that the Aero is not wholly accepted as a true Morgan persists. Combine this with the focus of many club and centre activities on the traditional models (Aero owners find it difficult for instance to enter a Production Car Trial) has lead to many of the new to Morgan Aero owners feeling out of place.

In the last 12 months the Aero has however become much more accepted all round. Recent press reviews have been very positive and the car is being accepted as a viable alternative to other open top sports / grand tourers.

If anyone is interested in joining or helping to form the new centre then please contact me either via PM or email to phil(dot)egginton(at)btconnect(DOT)com or at the address below.

Phil Egginton
75 Woodchester Road
Dorridge
Solihull
B93 8EL
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE