From the archives

Races, track days, testing ...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

From the archives

Post by Mary Lindsay »

There seems to be a lot of interest in the history of Morgan competition and so I have been looking through some of our old paperwork.

A club newsletter from 1968 refers to the club again having been promised their own 5 lap handicap race and exhorting competitors to make sure that there should be a good turnout (some things never change). This really confirms that there was a Morgan race the previous year and so we must deduce that 1968 was not the first year but probably the second and maybe even the third year of a Morgan race at this event. I am posting extracts from 1968 and 1969 newsletters which refer to it.

John entered the 1969 race and I am posting copies of the programme and results. There are some interesting names and it is interesting that there were 4 Plus 8s in the entry list and also that 3 of the drivers in the race were from the East Anglian Centre (Messrs. Lindsay, Binder and Shrubb).

Chris, if you think that these document are too cumbersome for this forum please don't hesitate to move the links to the mogsport site.

Richard Clement

Post by Richard Clement »

I'll have to confirm it with Brian Jenkins next time i speak to him, but from a quick search through our records on him and 'AWP 77B', i think that 1966 might have been the first year there was a Morgan race at the BDC.

It stands out in my mind as Brian Said he was parked next to Peter Morgan in the padock who was also at the event competing in the works Plus 4 Plus '869 KAB'.

Probably if i give Brian a bit of time to go through his huge archive he'll be able to dig out the results, a programme or even a photograph to help.
Richard Clement

Post by Richard Clement »

I spoke to Brian Jenkins last night and as far as he's aware 1966 was the first year there was a Morgan race at the BDC.

As for the results, programme etc... he's going to have a dig around in his archive and if he finds them, i'll let everyone know in due course.
Mark Shears

BDC Silverstone 1969

Post by Mark Shears »

Fascinating stuff Mary - I particularly like Robin Browns encouragement for MSCC Members to compete at the Hill Climb to be held at Valence as apparently "the amenities are excellent", but what should really pull 'em in is the comment "and the birds are usually pretty good too!" Must be a reference to ornithology in that part of Kent!

I think the results also answer John Embersons question regarding the late Jim Tucker. Other Morgan owners are also represented in the next race - VSCC Members 5 Lap Handicap. Driving his Fraser Nash TT Rep. is The Hon. Basil Feilding - well known driver of XRX 1.

All good stuff!

Cheers

Mark
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

I'm starting to access some of the history of 8334 RU and Jim Tucker and this would seem to corroborate that Morgans participated in the BDC at least as far back as 1966. I believe Jim's results in RU for this period were 2nd in '66, 2nd in '68, 1st in '69 and 2nd in '70. Fascinating stuff!
John Emberson
Mark Shears

BDC Silverstone

Post by Mark Shears »

No pressure then John!

When did you say you would have Jims old car up and running for?!

Cheers,

Mark
simon king

Re: From the archives

Post by simon king »

Looking back through my bits and pieces it would appear that Anthony Pritchard drove 208 FOJ in the Morgan race at BDC in July 1967. No further info though.