Class 1 - Panhard Rod and Anti-Tramp Q?

Technical queries or suggestions
AndyMiller

Class 1 - Panhard Rod and Anti-Tramp Q?

Post by AndyMiller »

Hi there all,
I've been lurking here for some time and have finally obtained Car + Nat B etc... for entering the 2008 season of sprinting.

I'm in the process of preparing the car and initially intend to compete in Class 1 with a 1985 4/4 1600 CVH. Having read the Blue Book there is a whole bunch of safty stuff which is bieng sorted however I'm interested in the "allowable" modifications under the appendix regs of the speed series.

Class 1 states no suspension modifications that were not factory OEM fitted to (in my case) 4/4's.. however.

In the Appendix it states (in point 2) that there is a 1% target time reduction for any suspension modifications not permitted in the Class regs... So... my question is this:

I would like to fit (a) Anti-tramp bars and (b) a Panhard Rod, partly for longevity and partly for cornering stability. Now according to the regs as I read them these would attract a total 1% penalty.

and

If they were fitted and the 1% was correct, are they worth fitting? - from both a longevity or performance perspective?

Worth the effort or not? :?
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Class 1 - Panhard Rod and Anti-Tramp Q?

Post by Phil Egginton »

Hi Andy (or should I say Cerealsufer :wink: )

I think anti tramps would be a total waste of time on a 4/4. Worth it on an 8 but you don't have the torque on a 4/4 to warrant them. I don't know any of the other Class1 runners who bother with a panhard rod either. I am told there are things you can do with how the rear is assembled to help but no doubt someone more enlightened will help there (... over to you your Lordship???).

P.S Thought you were on the far side of the world still?
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

Nope... back now and time to start working on the car prep in earnest...
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

There is a much cheaper alternative to panhard rods, which gives the same effect: fix blocks to the chassis which almost rub against the springs. A material called nylatron. This keeps the springs, consequently the axle from moving sideways. Have a look at a few of the cars at the taster day.
Last edited by Richard Smith on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

The best thing you can do to improve the hanleing of your 4/4 is change the dampers for some Koni's or Spax if you havn't already.
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

you don' need anti- tramp- my modified 4/4 has almost as much power as a Plus 8 and still does not need anti-tramp. I would leave the car standard until you've done a few sprints.

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

Thanks for the input guy's,
As for the dampers they are bieng swapped in the next few weeks.... for what I'm not sure...

Any recomendatoins, currently the only review material I've found is on the subject is the following:
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/shocks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

does this follow with what you are all experiencing? I was going to fit the Koni Classic's on the softest setting however the information about the AVO's is new to me so anyone any experience..?
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Andy,
As someone that had a modified 2lt. Fiat twin cam, I agree with all the comments on panhard rods and anti - tramp bars.I think they really only come into play when you have limited slip diff's and grunt !. As for shocks, I use AVO's on my +8 they were recomended to me by Chas Windridge of Mog Sport Racing. The one big advantage with them is that you can adjust them very easily as they have an accessable adjuster on the side.
Philip
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phil Egginton »

I agree with Philip on the Avo's
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

I can recommend Spax dampers, again fairly easy to adjust without removing from the car (like Konis).