trailers

Races, track days, testing ...
Richard Smith

trailers

Post by Richard Smith »

off track really: trailer choice.

Looking at Brian James versus PRG: is there a lot of difference; is one manufacturer any better than the other, or does anyone recommend anyone else? I have looked (and bidded) on eBay, but had no luck, and it seems that those on eBay aren't any cheaper than buying new. Or so it seems. It's got to be a twin axle, and the smaller the trailer the better.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Charles Neal

Re: trailers

Post by Charles Neal »

Richard,

There's lots of different varieties of both makes - buying second hand you have to take what you can get, and they're not as common (or cheap) as you'd think.

Consider very carefully what you want to do with it (towing long distances/which cars/carrying things other than cars, mine has annoying steel ridges along the insides of the wheel beds), where it's going to be kept (does it fit in the space, if it's 7'8" wide like mine, will it go through your gate easily, etc). If it has to fit in a garage, one with the wheels under the bed might be better.

I ended up buying a new Brian James one, then spent a year thinking "why did I pay that much?" but it tows beautifully and is pretty tough. They do several very small ones, the best thing to do is talk to them both about exactly what you want.
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Richard
my 2p's worth, I have a Brian James "clubman" cannot remember the length, but it tows a dream. I think good second hand are V hard to find and are almost always buggered. I was lucky as I got mine from someone who was up grading and it was just over a year old. If you go for new which could well work out cheeper in long run, just remember that a lot of the bits are " an extra " but worth having.
I am a trailer fan, makes life so much easier, as you know I use a passat which means you can take so much more junk to each meeting :D
Philip
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

It is a new one I am looking for, which is why I am open to suggestions/recommendations other than the two makes I mentioned. I have spoken to both these manufacturers, both seem helpful, and reckon a Mog should fit on a 12 foot trailer.
Richard Smith
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Richard- I have been looking myself for the future as at the moment cannot get one up my drive. Try:

http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

who are based in Cheshire.There are also lots of links/nearly new trailers on Motorsportads.co.uk

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Richard,

I am also looking at trailers and like you have found that second hand ones that are any good have either been sold or they are as much as a new one but less the VAT.So it looks like new is the way to go - you may pay a bit more but at least you know what you are getting.

I reckon Brian James trailers are about as good as you can get but there is also Woodford Trailers to look at (situated in Brian James old factory unit near me in Woodford Halse)and I am also looking at Ifor Williams Trailers. They have a very good reputation for agricultural and general purpose trailers and are very well built - but they may be a bit too big for your requirements.(Although a 12 foot trailer for a Morgan sounds a bit too small to me - I would have thought a 4m(13')long bed would be better).

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

Mark
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

A 4/4 or early +4 will fit (just) a 12’ trailer, but it does not allow you much usable room to position the car on the trailer to get the nose weight right – get that wrong and it will tow like a pig and probably damage the tow car as well, and if you have an accident all sorts of mud will start flying.

It might be worth asking the suppliers if you can try one out. Especially if you have not towed before

And don’t forget to maintain it at least once a year it has a hard life

Barry
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

I re-iterate what has been contributed by others. I hired trailers for 2 years before I took the plunge and bought my own.

I too tried the E Bay route and gave up for precisely the reasons you found, a good second hand trailer is almost the price of a new one, good news really if you ever want to sell it.

I hired both Brian James and PRG, both about 16 footers, not much to choose between them although I think the Brian James is slightly lighter.

I looked around at several events and without doubt, the most popular one appears to be the Brian James, and from research, it was also the cheapest.

I ended up with a Bateson trailer with a tilt bed which is a 13' but with the wheels beneath the bed, it is also narrower which helps with storage, although the downside it that the loading is steeper because the bed is higher.

I agree that a 12' is marginal to get the weight distribution correct - unless you are pushed for space, go slightly larger.

Good luck

Simon
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Brian James have been around for donkey’s years. They do various useful ‘add-ons’ as well such as wheel rack and storage box.

For those new or ignorant – like I was when I started trailering – be careful of choice of tow car. Started with a Cortina Estate which sagged at the back so it wore through back tyres ! Then Volvo estate which was fine provided never went onto damp grass. Since then various Disco / R Rovers which are excellent. Also I believe that modern driving licences have rules about tow car being heavier than trailer with mog.
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Richard,

Talk to Richard Craven, Sales Manager @ Brian James Trailers (01327 308833)
Very helpful chap.
I think an ideal trailer for you/your Mog is their "Clubman Hydraulic 1200" ( Bed size = 13ft x 5ft 7. and 1200kg load capacity )
I've been delighted with the two Brian James trailers I've had ( First one was stolen!!! )

Tim Ayres
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

My thoughts:
1. Don't be a wuss, all mogs should be driven to and from meetings.
2. There is only one good tow vehicle - Merc ML63
3. I'm not advertising it yet :^o but my new racer (arriving saturday) might not fit my current Brian James tilt-bed MOG trailer (trailer race tuned and serviced by Mr Windridge) so it might be available.
Any/all of the opinions stated above are impertinent/personal.
Cheers, Tony
Last edited by TonyLees on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

I have to agree with you Tony, Mogs should be driven to meetings. In fact, I think those going on trailers should have points deducted! Having smashed a back axle on Anglesey, it was only through the generosity of fellow competitor Simon Baines that I got my Mog home, or it would have cost an arm and a leg to get it transported. There are many more instances. And now, having a rebuilt axle, even though it's a Terry Foxon rebuild, if I can give myself an added bit of insurance knowing I will get my car home, then yes, I join the wussers!
Richard Smith
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Richard Smith wrote: I join the wussers!
Welcome to the club :-)
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Tony,
I am glad you support the ethos of driving your mog to meetings you set a good example to us all :D Tell me .........is a Robinson R22 a new type of Mog :lol:
Philip
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Don't be a wuss, all mogs should be driven to and from meetings
I'm glad someone else said that! That of course is why Class D cars all have windscreens fitted......... :wink: