+4s vs Moss Box +8s

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

+4s vs Moss Box +8s

Post by Mary Lindsay »

However, the moss box +8s found another gear and the +4s became increasingly uncompetitive.
This fascinates me John! What do you mean? :?
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: BIG Calendar for 2008 Morgan +4's

Post by John Clarke »

Crikey Mary, we have to go back a bit. I remember great races with Jack, Chris, Peter et al when the +4s and the Moss Boxes were much of a muchness - I remember Jack, Chris and I had a fantastic race at Donington, 3 abreast down the back straight - brilliant. But as the novice Peter got his eye in and started to go much faster, all the MB's started going faster. Lever arms were discarded and before we knew it, the +4s were left behind. In 1996/97 a good lap at Donington was 1:32/33 - scroll forward to 2005, you need to do a 1:28 to be competitive. The MBs had found 4 secs. Intrigued to know what you all did!!! I've moved this to a new topic as it might be fun to get some fresh perspectives - reminiscences vs the present day!!
Mark Shears

Re: +4s vs Moss Box +8s

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

Interesting as this might be, I think this new topic might have the same response as Jon Ellisons equally interesting topic " What kind of power are you getting from your TR4 engines?" !!!

Cheers

Mark
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

From my memory when I first started racing WAR I had lever arms and 0deg camber plates and avons for the first year or two and then decidedto go back to pos. camber and raced her like that. I have to admit that was the best time of racing.We had some good scraps!! The pos camber gave her so much bump steer when you went round Corum it was like hanging on to to a Kango it would want to pull you shoulders out It was great!! but sadly that only lasted a couple of years.. To stay competative I had to put on the teles at the rear and go back to Neg camber that then lasted for about a year I was then voted on to the tech comm. I found out that some of the Standard engine V8 had modern day lifters which allowed them to rev to 6000 Also Tr +4 engine could go 2350cc... Where as WAR would get to 5650 the lifters would pump up the engine would missfire after about 3 secs it would all come back together again You just could not over rev the things.. so in went the modern lifters the advantage in that was you could hang on in a gear on some of the corners and it made steering with the throttle much easier.(all within our regs)
I remember after one race at Silverstone with the old set up one lever of the lever arm had fallen off the engine was missing ..it had broke an rockershaft in three bits torn one of the pedastalls out of the head but War still got me home.
Thats where my 4 seconds came from (nothing to do with driving ability Ive always been S%^% hot)
But saying that WAR cant match XOV or TOKs or some of the other +4s

love jack
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

Lever arms probably didn't respond too well to racing on grass Jack!! I seem to remember Pembury was also another classic round of the now defunct Mog RallyCross championship!!