Oversize Tyres on Wires

Technical queries or suggestions
peterturner

Oversize Tyres on Wires

Post by peterturner »

Can anyone advise please. I am fitting 205/50 x15 tyres to 6" wires.
Is it ok to use 195x60 inner tubes? Has anyone got any experience of using silicone sealant to seal the centre rim instead of using a tube?

Thanks Pete.
Philip Tisdall

Re: Oversize Tyres on Wires

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Peter,
I have not used inner tubes in my 16 in wires for a number of years. I found that the tubes would "chaff" and let you down. I have used a good silicone sealent which has worked well, I found that if you were generous it was better.
The only problem I have had was when a tyre shop broke the seal with a bar when getting a tyre off
Philip
peterturner

Post by peterturner »

Thanks Phillip.

Do you have to use any special cleaners before applying the silicone and how thick do reckon you need it?

Peter
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

just make sure the wheel is clean with no greese I used a wire brush around where the spokes go through the rim to get any muck and rust out. I put a round "dowel" in a vice so that you can rotate wheel as you apply the silicone. I also made a plastic template that gave you about 1/4 in across the bottom of the wheel where the spokes go through It gave you an even spread as you rotated the wheel as you apply the silicone. Hope this makes sence
Philip
peterturner

Post by peterturner »

Thanks Phil
Done that now.
Pete