Isn't It Quiet?

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Isn't It Quiet?

Post by Bob Bull »

I thought the hibernation period was over, but judging from the less than frantic activity on this forum, it would appear that everybody is still asleep in the hedgerow.
Has no one got anything to say? (Is that grammatically correct?)

I will be at the Silverstone Classic Media Day tomorrow (Wednesday) anyone else be there?
It would be nice to say hello to few new friends and perhaps share a cup of tea, my mobile is 07743 515377 and I would be happy to get a call, if you are about.

Anyway! Regards to all.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Tim Hill

Re: Isn't It Quiet?

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi Bob,

not so quiet if you know where to look.

There were at least 2 of us trying to compete at the VSCC Spring Start at Silverstone last weekend. Tony Lees in the Viper and myself in the Yellow Duster. I say trying to compete as unfortunately we both suffered ignition/starting maladies and didn't race. There were several other faces from the Morgan race and Sprint world in the paddock cheering us on (or sympathising). Plenty of teas all round....

Catch up soon

Tim
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I am pleased to say that there was signs of activity at Silverstone today and it was nice to meet a couple of members, Richard and Rick, and to see a number of Mogs lying around, which I hastily photographed and the results may be found on my picasa web site. (see previous post).
The Classic looks like being quite an event yet again and is growing nicely year on year with 14 different race categories and 21 races over the weekend. Many of the races are already oversubscribed, so get your entries in now.
Young Oliver Phillips will be driving Dad, Chris', Morgan at some events this year, which will be a step up from his Lotus no doubt. Talking of Lotus I notice that there must be two Chris Acklams as there was one with that name on the side, obviously not our Chris Acklam..........surely?
On a personal note I was disgusted to note that while celebrating 60 years of; Silverstone - Lotus - 2CV's and The Porsche club there was no mention of the 50th anniversary of Mike Hawthorn winning the Formula 1 World Championship in 1958. The first Englishman to do so. Have they no sense of history?

Kind regards,

Bob
Regards
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Bob I think you'll find it is the same Chris Acklam.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

Sorry to have missed you - only saw this posting today! Probably sheltering from the rain in one of the garages anyway!

I was chosen to give VIP rides around the track in the Morgan(the black Plus 4 Supersports)but guess what, nobody seemed very keen to go round in what I think was the only convertible car and it was persistantly raining! All the closed cars seemed to be more attractive for some reason!

I then went out on an earlier session on a rather wet track with the Masters cars as I had to get back to work for 5pm to do an interview on Radio 2 with Chris Evans! Have you heard of him?!

Look forward to seeing you at Silverstone with perhaps one of the HSCC meetings or of course the Classic meeting itself at the end of July.

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Hi! Mark,
Perhaps you did not notice the rain soaked figure taking pictures of the black Morgan sitting comfortably out of the weather under the overhang of the Podium!
Should you care to take a peek at my web site (under Photo Opportunity in the forum) you will see that not only are you featured, but also a devastatingly handsome Ferrari sports car was also giving rides and I saw at least one intrepid soul taking advantage of it. Perhaps it is something you said!!
Unfortunately the presentation over ran significantly and the passenger ride session was cut short, and was in any case was not well organised, so don't take a lack of takers too personally. I must admit I rather fancied a go myself but I was busy making sure some on the BBC presenters were sorted first.
I am a non-driving member of the HSCC and will try and say hello at Silverstone.
And Jim, I was only kidding - obviously there could only be ONE CHRIS ACKLAM!
Don't you think that Rick Bourne has a lovely smile?

Following my diatribe about Mike Hawthorn I am pleased to report that the VSCC's Oulton Park meeting will be a celebration of Mike. Well done to them.

(Chris: has this helped atall?)

If you read this, why not add your own thoughts, abuse, experiences etc. I at least will promise to read it.

As always,

Bob B. AKA Bauble.
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Sounds like it was a great day - with lots of interesting people and even more interesting cars. And the historic GP circuit is a great one to drive. Thanks for the reports.

Click here for the link to Bob's pictures Though beware - that Rick Bourne grin IS a bit disturbing...

Great idea about recognising Mike Hawthorn, Bob. A fantastic character in a time when racing drivers often lived a very short and dangerous life.

Chris
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Golly Mark – are there two Chris Evans or was it really the ex hubby of Dr Who’s assistant ? Sorry I missed it – no doubt you persuaded him to buy a Mog and come racing ?

Rick’s smile ? Obviously he’s happy now he’s away from the strain of BHM.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Bob,

Good to meet you on the rather wet Silverstone Classic and media test day some great photos =D> .

Regards

Richard.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Nice to meet you too Richard, it served to reinforce what many Morgan drivers have told me over the last few years, that Morgan drivers are a friendly bunch.
I can certainly confirm that to be the case, unless they are over awed by the power of the media!
I understand from my contacts that Rick will be sharing Chris Phillips' mighty Allard at the Classic, that should either put an even bigger smile on his face or wipe it off altogether. We'll have to wait and see.
Many off you will probably know Martin Atack from the HSCC office. I switched on my TV a few minutes ago to check the local election results, and who should be swanning around on one of these unreality house buying programs, but Martin himself!! I suppose the HSCC must be looking for a new office.

May I thank all of the people who have commented nicely about my pictures? I do not profess to be an ace snapper so it is gratifying to hear that my efforts are appreciated. Perhaps I am better than I thought .....mmmm! Maybe I should start charging ........... take on commissions ....... tout for business..... advertise on TV ........

What? Yes dear, I've done the dishes, and I am about to start the dusting .............................
Regards