Powernights. Morgan Races?

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Powernights. Morgan Races?

Post by Bob Bull »

Last night I attended the first of the 2008 'Powernights' meetings at Silverstone (http://www.powernights.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
The meeting hosts 10 races for five different classes of cars, two for each class,and the classes are governed more by who and what enters than any particular type, ie Invitation Saloons, Invitation Sports Cars etc..
I spoke to the organisers and they are more than happy to accomodate any club or group who would like to be included in the meeting,either in a seperate race or within existing events. It is not a series or a championship, just a race evening. No points but quite handsome prize money.
The point is that if a number of Morgan drivers got together and entered as a group there would be a number of advantages, firstly the circuit opens at 9.0am and each driver gets two practice sessions, a qualifying session and at least two races. Entry fee is £295 and includes entry tickets and tickets for the 'Party-in-the-Paddock' barbecue after the races, what is more if there were at least 12 entries they would each receive a £100 voucher redeemable at the circuit fuel station, GP Raceware and other outlets. or may be used to defray cost of entering next meeting. The meeting is on the National Circuit and the races are for ten minutes and many are run on a pursuit basis.Slower cars get a start. OK! John Clarke?
It might suit those who live close by, or who can take time off and don't mind a schlep! The whole evening is designed to be family friendly and there are Scaletrix sets to be won by the spectators by predicting the winners. Normal entry is £10 per person kids free.

None of my business really, but if you need someone to liase with Motion Works I would be happy to help.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Powernights. Morgan Races?

Post by Chris Acklam »

Looks interesting Bob - a nice idea. I had noticed Powernights on the Masters calendar and wondered what it was.

When you say, many races are run on a pursuit basis - what's that? Like a handicap?

Chris
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris,
Yes! Exactly, a handicap but without any credit laps, so that everyone is on the same lap, just some are more on it than others.

The Mazda lads appear to have a regular slot on the menu and they are scratch races, as are Formula Fords, as, I presume all cars are 'equal', but where fields are made up of the 'Run what ya Brung' types the handicap makes for better spectator appeal.
Look at my picasaweb for pictures of last night.

Bob Bull
'Working for Morgans Campaign'
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Sounds good to me. Not sure I fancy the run what ya brung so let's get lots of mogs there.
Cheers, Tony