HSCC - Brands Hatch Historic Superprix 28-29th June

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC - Brands Hatch Historic Superprix 28-29th June

Post by John Clarke »

The next round for HSCC racers is the Historic Superprix meeting on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit.

I, for one, have never managed to race on the GP circuit so I have been eying up this meeting for some time. Any hints or suggestions on how to get round would be gratefully received.

More details about the meeting can be found at https://tickets.motorsportvision.co.uk/ ... uctID=3577 and http://www.hscc.org.uk/Brands%20Hatch%2 ... 202007.htm

Has anyone else entered?
Mark Shears

Re: HSCC - Brands Hatch Historic Superprix 28-29th June

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

Yes I have entered and I know Richard Plant has also entered his Plus 8 in the 70's Roadsports race.

Who else?!

Cheers

Mark
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Yup I am going let’s just hope its better weather than Brands a couple of weeks ago (for the entire weekend) Please [-o<

Anyone up for a BBQ on the Saturday night?

Richard
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

John Clarke wrote:Any hints or suggestions on how to get round would be gratefully received.
Click here for a lap of the GT circuit in a standard Plus 8
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Looks pretty much flat out........in the purple Anglia!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

John,
Perhaps it is Chris' idea of a joke, I should warn you that Oliver B is a very quick, YOUNG driver, and attempting to emulate him might not be a good idea, not that I am suggesting you are slow and old of course.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

So, this is the equivalent of an internet smoking room, where you can catch up on all that is important in the Morgan competition calendar...

Over the weekend I received the final instructions for the Brands weekend. The Historic Road Sports (HRS) race on Saturday (race No.2 at 14:15hrs) has a fair smattering of +4's which is just brilliant to see.

I've tentatively agreed with James Owen (HRS -TR5) and Matthew Newman (Guards Trophy) that I will get down to Brands for late Friday afternoon with a view to getting struitineered on the Friday evening, pitching tent and having a bbq and a few beers on the Friday evening. Would anyone in the Morgan fraternity be at all interested in swelling the numbers? I would love to be able to stay and watch the Sunday races but unfortunately I do not think my pass will cover this extended period.

I know it's a bit away yet but are you guys getting organised for the adventure that is Pemberey on 12-13th July? As it's a whole weekend (friday and Monday inc just to get there and back) it's going to take a little planning. Most likely I will be breaking out the tent for the second time this year so it would be rather fine to set up our own encampment and light bbqs in order to would ward off the local Bedouin ...

just here for the beer

Jonathon
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Jonathon

Ican't get to Brands till the Saturday morning (early!!!) but hope to stay till later into the evening.

Sadly, can't do Pembrey as clashes with Le Mans Classic. Next outing for my +4 will be BDC meeting for the TT.

Brands looks like a bumper entry of Mogs:

HRS (grid of 39 cars!!)

4 Bruce Stapleton +8
8 John Clarke +4
34 Mark Shears +4
57 Simon King +4
66 Mark Hoble +4
78 Jonathon Rushton +4

70's Roadsports

15 Philip McKelvey +8
19 Richard Plant +8

See you at the w/e

regards

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jonathan,

Just seen your posting. I am hoping to arrive at Brands early evening on Friday so will bring some of my famous (according to Bob Bull!) cremated sausages!

I too intend to camp but if the weather is as bad as last weekend I think the back of the car will be more inviting!

Look forward to seeing you Friday.

Cheers

Mark

PS Be gentle with me - it's my first time!
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Jonathan

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the offer of the BBQ this Friday night but my race is on Sunday so I won’t be down to Brands till Saturday afternoon but you are welcome to join us on the Saturday night for a BBQ if you are staying over (any one else staying over) Mark Shears is in charge of the cooking :oops: and Mark Hoble is beer temperature man!!!! =D>

I cant make Pemberey which is a shame as I will be away at the Le Mans Classic driving John Clarke’s lovely series 1 so may be next year?

Looks like a great Morgan Turn out for Brands this weekend the only absentee is Paul Conway whose engine is still in bits after the Snetterton blow up.

Regards,

Richard.
Jonathon Rushton

Ok, it's good news/bad news time.

Good news: I've got a pass for Sunday so it looks as if I may hang around to watch the racing on Sunday (contingent on the weather).

Bad news: Both Marks (Shears and Hoble) are on food and beer duties... bad food is one thing but please do not tell me what Mark H uses to test the temperature of the beer... the mind boggles!

Mark S. Depending when I can set off on Friday you will either spot me in the paddock arguing with the scruitineers or fighting with a pre-war A-frame tent in some local field.

Shall I put a towel or two on the loungers by the pool? The paddock at Brands is cosy to say the least and if you're not careful you end up at the bottom of the hill with the formula juniors... which served as great canoes in 2005 when torrential rain flooded the paddock.

See ya'll on the weekend.

Jonathon
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I’ll be spectating on Saturday and MAY have access for all to a friend’s box which is good particularly if raining !!

Leigh
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

I hope to be there on Saturday too (and Sunday if I can sneak away with too much dissension in the ranks).

Met Office says: A bright start to Friday, becoming cloudier and breezy, with some rain likely later. Continuing unsettled Saturday and Sunday with showers, and perhaps a few longer outbreaks of rain.
Jonathon Rushton

Ok, more bad/sad news.

I've just been on the phone with Brian up at Techniques Motor Sport. It looks as if I may have been a bit over exuberant at Silverstone as I've managed to bend the push rod on the exhaust valve of No 2 piston and on No 4 the exhaust rocker has nipped up/siezed on the rocker shaft and the push rod has been forced out from underneath the rocker arm, jamming the valve open in the process.

Replacement parts are en route but it really is fingers crossed for Brands.

I'm off to the pub.

Jonathon
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark S

If you are able, please can you try and cordon off an area for all the mogs - might need v.long arms!!!!

See you bright and early Sat morning

regards

john