Donington to become another concrete jungle?

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Re: Donington to become another concrete jungle?

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter,
After reading Andy's reply above I completely agree.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter,
After reading Andy's post, above, I am in complete agreement with you, I can therefore forgive your fat finger error in seperate section.

What is LCFC? What is Everard? (polite responses only please, there may be ladies present.) I'll just take the Walkers Crisps.
Which part of the country are you from Andy?
They may retain the names but they will not be Craner....etc!!
Regards
john bevan

new grand prix venue

Post by john bevan »

I think you've all missed the obvious choice, which Max Mosley declared today, speaking live;

" We are please to announce that Curborough will be the new venue for the British Grand prix from 2010. With only minor changes, this will be an internationally acclaimed circuit. The new "International" circuit will be almost 400 yards long, with a state of the art tea wagon catering for up to 3 million spectators. A new ice cream van will soon be built for the new F1 Boss Richard Smith"

Lewis Hamilton declared " Curborough has always been my favourite GP circuit, with speeds of up to 50 mph on the main straight. "

Mosley also added that if he was exagerating in any way then "feel free to spank me"

=D>
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Bob

LCFC is Leicester City Football Club
Everards is the reason everyone leaves Leicester (to find better beer)
Walkers crisps were a Leicester family butcher produced snack until taken over by Pepsico,they also sell/still sell Walkers pork pie from Melton Mowbrey (Which folk from Leicester still eat for breakfast on Christmas day)
Tom Wheatcroft lived 2 doors from my Auntie when he started building houses after the war and 2010 for him will be just wonderful
But some Leicester folk will miss the GP in 2010 as early/mid July is normally spent at Skegness (its so bracing)

Andy
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Curborough OK for GP circuit now as the ECO-Town project there has been shelved.
Tom Wheatcroft lives 10 doors away from me now (8 miles south of Leicester) but I don't think he moved to get away from pork pies at Christmas.
Cheers, Tony (off to LeMansClassic today) Lees
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

There is more detail on the Autosport web site for those interested, interestingly the Local Council appear to back the venture and say they will work speedily to sort out the planning permission, but no mention of road works.

The proposed extension from the Melbourne Loop sounds a bit Mickey Mouse, knowing the existing lay out, and they seem to think the current circuit will not need much alteration other than that.
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Yes, this week's Autosport has a couple of articles on it.

Interestingly the Donington press release says, "Donington Ventures Leisure Limited has worked closely with the local and national authorities in consideration of the planning requirements that are necessary to provide a first class facility for the hosting of F1 in 2010."

However the County Council leader says they have seen no plans or proposals yet - but are, of course, keen to see the British GP come to Donington. As to road links he says that they could have a big park-and-ride facility at the Donington Services.... Hmm

Seems likely to be just another Bernie stratagem. Like when he did the deal with Nicola Foulston at Brands, and then Octagon were left holding the baby and had to lease Silverstone from the BRDC when it couldn't meet the criteria for staging it.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

This morning I was asked by BBC Three Counties for a background piece on the loss of the Grand Prix at Silverstone,as a local Milton Keynes councilor has suddenly realised that it would lead to a massive loss of revenue to the area and was due to to speak to the station about it.
A little research on Donington revealed no news on planning applications for development of the circuit, or the surrounding infrastructure, in fact there has been virtually nothing said since the original announcement.
With the current economic outlook it is difficult to see anyone investing heavily on such a project in the foreseeable future, and Bernie has stated that if Donington is not ready in time a return to Silverstone is not an option. Given Mr E's very public spats with the BRDC I suspect that this is it not just sabre rattling. Even if the investment is available time is now running out and there is a lot of work to be done before they can host a Grand Prix. Does anyone from the area know anything about the matter?
I would recommend anyone who likes Formula 1 to buy tickets for the 2009 Grand Prix as I suspect it will almost certainly be the last in this country.
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

I have just been for a spin on the new track
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Looks good - here's hoping they manage it...